News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid header gasket

Started by Dodge69_440, March 27, 2007, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge69_440

Ok, I have tried to fix my exaust leak several times now with no success.  My headers are hooker comps and they had to be cut and bent a little to fit.  This is because I am running late model aerohead heads on my 360 I built.  My passenger side is sealed up fine, but the popping on the drivers side is driving me nuts.  Do you guys have any tricks for sealing up exhaust leaks at the head?  Should I use rubber or copper gaskets? 

-Thanks for any help

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Chryco Psycho

Mefirst

How come you dont use VHT Copper spray. Its like glue, and youll never have a leaking exhaust gasket again.

Dave22443

I fixed mine cheap and easy.  I put on two gaskets  :icon_smile_big:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

RD

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 27, 2007, 02:34:41 PM
copper or dead soft aluminum might help. They didn't get tweaked when you were tuning them to fit did they?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PHP%2D66037&N=700+4294908110+4294840106+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D111420&N=700+4294908110+4294840106+115&autoview=sku

v/r
Mike

totally agree with Mike on this one... plus they are long lasting gaskets, you can reuse them after the seal has been broke.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

mikepmcs

Hey hey... Jamey. How's Mom and the baby doing? :icon_smile_big:

Sorry, off subject but that was a little scary.

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Dodge69_440

No problem Mike.  Thanks a lot guys, those aluminum gaskets look like they will do the trick.  Might order some of that VHT stuff too looks like a good adhesive.  Now I just need to finish up school  :-\ so I can go home and get some work done on my car.

71ChallengeHer

I got the aluminum gaskets and a lock type header bolts for mine. A little pricey for bolts, but it did the trick. Dang header bolts kept backing out. No leaks now.

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: Dave22443 on March 27, 2007, 06:45:30 PM
I fixed mine cheap and easy.  I put on two gaskets  :icon_smile_big:

I had problems with a 318 in an old pickup that kept blowing exhaust gaskets on one side.  Talked to a diesel mechanic and he said to try doubling the gaskets.

Further he said to install them with the engine cool, like overnight cool.

He said to tighten the bolts/nuts beginning with the inner-most working your way to the outer-most bolt/nut.

Then, he said to run the engine for 20 minutes or so to get it good and warm, preferrably driving the car around, and to let it set overnight again.

Finally, go out in the cool of the morning and re-torque all bolts/nuts in the above sequence prior to start-up.

Never had a leak after that.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Ghoste

Just being the lone fool of dissent here, but I tried a set of the copper gaskets once and they were crap.  Not to say I didn't install them wrong or I had a bum set or whatever, but they were the leakiest garbage I ever tried.  I pulled them off and went back to the old style with copper sealant and that is what has worked best for me.