News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

prep for painted parts?

Started by mikes68charger, March 27, 2007, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes68charger

Im trinng to paint my Hond Reble to mach my charger. I have a few dent which I fixed. What grit do I use to scof the rest of the tank for paint? Do I have to wet saind before paint?

65post

Wet sanding with a 1500 grit will give you the best results.( if painting with base clear ) If you are just shooting it with a ( single stage ) 600 dry will do.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

hemi-hampton

I dont like to paint over very fine grit like 1000 or more. Not enough adhesion as I've seen this newly applied paint blow off with a power washer. For cars (or motorcycle, parts) I'd go with the 600 grit. LEON.

Silver R/T

I go over surface with 600 and then shoot base/clear.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jordyjim

base and clear..600,,,single stage...280 or 320 dry, and then a fine red finishing pad for the hard to get areas thats all you need.. the 600 is good used wet i agree with silver and hemi i only use 1500 prior to buffing,i sometimes use it when i spot prime to feather out any edges prior to applying base especially silvers..jim