News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Seal Cap- Side Seals

Started by shawnmd, March 24, 2007, 05:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

I am trying to replace the Rear Seal Cap- Side Seals- the long ones on each side of the Rear Seal Cap on my 383.  The new ones are from Fel-Pro and each side seem to be made of two peices- they came apart as I was trying to insert the rear seal cap.  Is there a trick to installing the rear seal cap with the side seals???  Everytime I push the seal cap down, the side seals just pop out and will not go down.

squeakfinder

I'm going threw the exact same thing this evening. That HP book How to rebuild big block mopars states; glue the fiber seals on to the side of the cap with that yellow trim adhesive. That sounds kind of odd to me.  :rotz:
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

squeakfinder

:bump:

I went ahead and used ultra copper sealant and the half's of the seals that go into the cap. I kind of wonder if following the instructions and soaking the seals for a few minutes in paint thinner is what caused the seals to separate. Well, only one way to find out if my method works, but I won't have the engine in the car for at least a couple of weeks.

BLAM

I have been told to ignore the installation instructions.  Just put them in with some silicone sealer and then run a large bead along the edges of the seal retainer surface.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Chryco Psycho

the seal plate should have ribs in it to hold the side seals in place as the plate slides into place , I install them with silicone as you were advised & just push the seals in place with the plate

shawnmd

This particular aluminum cap does not have the teeth to grab the seals. Its a pain.

Chryco Psycho

I bet it did but they got cleaned out removing the strips previously

squeakfinder