News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any tricks to installing back window mouldings on a 68?

Started by Dennis K, March 24, 2007, 09:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis K

My body man just finished installing the vinyl top, windshield and back window, but now the window trim doesn't seem to fit. Is there any special tools or tricks needed to get the trim back on? How much effort does it take to push the trim parts down to engage the clips? If it takes more effort, does that mean the bead of sealant holding the glass in is too thick? If so, does the window have to come back out and get redone, or does someone have any other ways to install the trim in this case? Thanks.

Charger-Bodie

the rear glass should have 3/8 butyl tape for the proper fit how much metal work was done around the opening were the trim pieces fit as the body work was done?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dennis K

The bottom of the window channel was replaced due to rust, but it turned out smooth and straight, so I think the issue is with the thickness of the sealer. He didn't use butyl tape, he used a glass sealer that came out of a caulking gun. I have also read that the butyl tape should be 5/16", but since he didn't use it, that is irrelevant. How thick should the bead of sealer be measuring from the glass to the mounting flange when the window is installed?

Charger-Bodie

thats the thing with the 3/8s butyl when you push the glas town into the opening you end up with about 5/16 and thats about right
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

58pwrwgn

The moldings should have been installed before the urethane was allowed to cured. I think I used 5/16 buytl on my 68 Runner and it squished down to less than a 1/4 inch for tight moldings.