News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, what's the trick to getting these booster nuts off under the dash?

Started by Mfr426, March 24, 2007, 07:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

I spent 30 minutes las night using a screw driver to slowly spin the last nut off the booster stud. This is the one stud that sits on top and on the passenger side. These nuts are positioned under the dash in such a tight spot that I can not get a socket (with a swivel) on them to unscrew. I cant get my hand up there to do it manually either. Thankfully the nuts are not tight on the studs or I'd still be working on the thing. I don't want to remove my dash to reinstall these nuts but there has to be a better way?

So, is there a trick to having access to these things? Do I need to once again drop the steering column? Thanks for any suggestions. I hope to paint and reinstall the booster this weekend.

The Charger Guy

Hi What you want to do is get several long 3/8 extensions together and this allows you enough clearance to get on the nut and turn it bit by bit
until you can get closer with just a 4 " extension. First one I did took days. Now I do them in my sleep.
If restoring car..make sure this goes in before you even think of putting dash carrier in...then it is real easy
Mark

Just 6T9 CHGR

I havent started my retrofit yet......I remember changing the manual master cylinder wasnt too hard.....maybe taking out the instrument cluster first might be easier?  That I can do in my sleep :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

I like to use a deep socket connected to a U-joint and a 24" long extension.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Charger-Bodie

i like to use 1/4 drive stuff its a tight fit in ther but it can be done!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mfr426

Yep, I've used 1/4 extensions with the swivel. You need a deep well since the studs come into through the firewall pretty far. However, when you use that deep well you can not use a swivel as it hits the steering bracket when the nuts gets several turns out.

I'd prefer NOT to take out my cluster everything is finally working. I'm hoping that putting the nut on is far easier than it was to take it out...

Thanks all.

Charger-Bodie

i guess i use a medium deep socket sorry forgot tot mention that
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............