News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do? I need your honest opinions (long post)

Started by terrible one, March 22, 2007, 10:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Alright guys. I have been thinking a lot about my Charger situation, and I'm not sure what I want to do...here's the deal.

About a year ago, I bought my Charger for $3,600 off of Ebay. It's a 318/904 car, with a title and VIN, but no fender tag or buildsheet. It was fresh out of a restoration shop and had some work done to it before the owner pulled it out. The engine bay had been stripped and was in primer. This includes the K-frame and everything as well. The tie rods, shocks, control arm bushings, ball joints, front brake hardware, etc. are all new. The hood and fenders were in the same condition and laser straight, basically no filler used. The rest of the car has the typical Charger rust...trunk, rear valance, rear quarters, and below the window. The frame rails are great though, as is the underside of the car as a whole. The floor pans are really solid with the only rust through being in the heel pans. The roof is minty and still in original paint as the car had no vinyl top. The only thing really missing from the car is the engine and transmission, as well as the front seats.

So that's the background on the car. Now for some on me. I'm only 16 years old, and only work during the summer break, as school takes up the most of my time. This means that I basically have very limited funding.

I thought this car would be a real good place to start, and it is. But not so much for me. To get the car driveable, I would need the following:
Engine
Transmission
Shifter linkage
Engine bay wiring
Cabin wiring
Driveshaft
Seats
Gauges, or to refurbish mine
Headlights
Rebuild rear-end
Rear brakes
Master cylinder, brake booster, lines, etc.

Of course, all of this ads up big time. I never once thought of having a "nice" Charger. I just wanted something in primer and fast that I could mess around in and gradually build up. But I think that I started a little too low. I don't think I have the money or the time to make it before I go off to school.

Anyways, if you made it this far, my question is this: Should I...

Sell the Charger, keep the funds, and try to buy another one that is rough all around but runs or at least has an engine
Keep the Charger and just stay with it

I'm attached to the model, not the car, so it isn't all that big of a deal selling it. However, I don't want to end up Chargerless for a really long time by not getting the funds to buy another. Pictures of this car are on my CarDomain site, in my signature. How much do you guys think this car could pull on Ebay? Opinions?

moparguy01

thats really not that much work. another 2k and youd be driving around. if you found a decent used engine and trans setup

69charger2002

honest $4-5k on ebay in my opinion. i say get a beater and go off to school in it, working on the charger with any extra funds as you can. i will give my honest opinion. if a few thousand dollars worth of parts is too expensive for you to accomplish on your current car, then chances are you will sell, and be chargerless for a really long time... because you can't afford a good one for say $10k, and what you can buy for $4000-5000 running will just make you sick probably, as that will probably be in horrible shape.. i say stick with your car, even if it means taking a couple more years to finish. hell be proud you have a charger at 16, i didn't till i was 20
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

THE COLONEL

You are only 16, so you have many years left, and Charger prices in my opinion wil leventually drop off from where they are now.  I'm 30, and got my first one just three years ago.  Trav is right, if $2,000 is too much, sell it so you have your funds, and get one that is already done in the future.  remember, your only 16, and the Chargers will still be around.  If you don't want to sell, just put it aside until you have the time and money to work on it, and if that happens to be 10 years from now...well, you will have a good start.  Just my $.02
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 22, 2007, 11:09:44 PM
honest $4-5k on ebay in my opinion. i say get a beater and go off to school in it, working on the charger with any extra funds as you can. i will give my honest opinion. if a few thousand dollars worth of parts is too expensive for you to accomplish on your current car, then chances are you will sell, and be chargerless for a really long time because you can't afford a good one, and what you can buy for $4000-5000 running will just make you sick probably that it's in such rough shape.. i say stick with your caqr, even if it means taking a couple more years to finish. hell be proud you have a charger at 16, i didn't
trav
:iagree: My daughter inherited a 78 Aspen Super Coupe when she was 14. She is 16 now. It was her god-father's 1st car so it has sentimental value. She love going to the shows . So we decided she could have my 93 Daytona. We're having it painted so she has something to take to shows and cruise-ins. The Super Coupe is gonna sit in the garage until she is out of college. Right now it's gonna take a lot less money to paint the Daytona, then restoring the Super Coupe. That is the best thing we could do so she still has something to drive. Sell the Super Coupe, never.

bull

Tough call. I see no reason to sell it as long as you can store it indefinitely without it costing you anything. The nice thing about a 318 car with no fender tag is that it's a clean slate -- you can basically do what you want with the drivetrain and it will only increase in value.

There are some tricks to get the car road worthy without it costing you a ton of money. I almost went that route before deciding to strip mine down and do the full restoration but then I'm 40, you're 16. You've got a lot of time ahead of you to tear it all down but right now you just want to drive it, right? I think I would do two things. First, find yourself a 440/727 that is running. Maybe look on craigslist for an old New Yorker, something like this: http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/car/298308887.html then sell the Chrysler to the scrap yard and get some of your purchase money back. Clean up the engine and engine bay as best you can (you'll need a big block K-member too) and drop in the running 440. Hopefully you can utilize some of the other parts you're going to need from the donar car. Then start sanding on the body and paint it all one color. It doesn't have to be pretty but I think any one color will look better than the old gray, brown, black and orange calico cat look. I wouldn't worry about getting the body perfect just yet but definitely monotone is in order. How about flat black? :icon_smile_tongue: Read that 69-page budget paint job thread on moparts for some ideas: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2655425&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1.

That's what i would do right now. At least you'd own a 440 and trans to rebuild someday and you've got the car so spend a thousand or two getting it road worthy and worry about it being pretty later. Just make sure the brakes work. :icon_smile_big:

six-tee-nine

If you're not attached to the car then you should sell it because if you leave it in storage for several years i'll make your heart bleed.....

I restored my first car (purchased it) when I was 17 the first two years were not that bad because i learned to do my own bodywork and since i owned good welding equipment and a grinder i could start.
But when your'e coming to the part when the tech stuff arrives then the money really starts rolling and whe all know what things cost if you want to do it right.

Truly, if the Charger has as place deep somewhere in your heart you'll think it over twice before you sell it.....but if you can't stand the pain of seeing the car just standing there perhaps it's better to let it go.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Brian in GA

I know this may not help, but you'll always kick yourself later if you let this car go.  I did the same thing, started college and didn't think I had the money/time to work on the car.  So I sold it for a small profit and went on. 

Well, now that car would cost me 10x what it did then (1987), and I bought a project car r/t shell a year ago for more than I paid for the running 383 auto back then. 

My advice would be this--if you can't afford to get it running in the time you want, and storage is not a problem, DON'T get rid of it.  You can make a profit on the car right now--but so will the guy who sells you one when you're "ready."  I've run across a lot of guys selling cars because of wives/girlfriends/money situations, and what I have learned is this--that car will be there when the wife/girlfriend/ is long gone.  If it's your dream car, hang on to it.  Just think how much harder it will be once you are out of school to save up 10 grand or so to get what you want.  There will ALWAYS be something to divert your funds.  Keep what you got, bro. 

Good luck in your decision.  And PM me if you want to sell it!   ;D

PocketThunder

T.O.,

Find a running driving 318 car or 360 car and transfer the engine/tranny into your Charger.  If you cant afford a lot for the car right now, then you will have a tough time driving a 440 that gets 8 mpg. DAMHIK :P

After you get out of college and get a good paying job, then build up a 440 or whatever you want. 

There are two kinds of auto hobbyist, the guys who drive their cars, and the guys who work on thier cars.  I was the later for several years, now i'm finally driving.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The70RT

I got mine when I was 16....drove the crap out of it for a couple years and had my fun. Parked it in 1980 and haven't registered it since then. I am just now restoring it. Im glad I was never tempted to sell it. I agree with most. If you have the storage store it. If you sell it down the road later you will get more money anyway. I don't see prices going down anytime too soon. Buy you a driver to get to school and back. Later as life goes by maybe you can gather parts and tools. Like most said as time goes by you wish you would have kept it. If you get married it will take even longer  :yesnod:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Skyview69

Don't sell.  I got my first Charger when I was 17 -my first car.  A 71 SE although it did run and drive.  I had no money at that time and stored it for 6 years while I went off to school. That was 17 years ago.  I still have the car and it still is not restored.  I have had many opportunites to sell it but have hung on to it.  I am glad I still have it.  I have also added an unrestored 69 to the picture and now have two that I cannot afford to restore BUT someday I will.  Unlike your story both of mine are drivers.  Where are you located?  I Have two people I know who have spare engines who would part with them for cheaper than $2000.  They have a 440, 400 and a 383 sitting around collecting dust.  The 440 is attached to a tranny and ran good when pulled.  Unfortunately it was pulled from a motor home but still a strong motor.

LargerCharger383

if you're able to hang onto it and wait for funds later, I'd keep it.  You'll regret sellingit later, and it'll be all the more rewarding when you finally get done if it's your first car. my  :Twocents:

Silver R/T

I bought mine a while back, Ive been working on it as time and funds permits while its increasing value just sitting there.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

tommymac

Keep it,it's yours,it needs work,but you're young with lots of time,you will find the parts it needs,it takes time.I've had mine since 85 and on the road,winter-summer ,rusted the hell out of it.Parked it in 92 bought a different car less motor and trans,a lot less rusty and started the transplant.Floor boards,trunk floor,rust free fenders,all original interior,Top,headliner and paint job.2006 ON THE ROAD 2007I could have sold it like my first car A vert 66 289 Mustang but I didn't,the Charger had less rust.Welcome to upstate NY.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Bones68charger

I bought my Charger in 97 318 904 car. I was in high school. I drove it for my last two years of high school and then parked it and went to college. It's hard to wait, but now that I am out of school and have a decent paying job, I am now starting to be able to work on it. It's hard to wait but remember patience is a virtue.

My suggestion is just put a small amount away every month. As the years pass you will have a good chunk of money. This summer I finally get to rebuild my 318. I know it's not a 440 but it will make me happy.

Plus educate yourself. Learn Learn Learn. Then when you have the money and the time time, the whole process will be much easier.

KEEP THE CAR DUDE!

Charger1973

Yeah dont sell it unless you have to...  It always seems to cost more later and if its not going to cost you anything to store it... 

As far as getting one that runs.  You can make your car run, it might not be a show car when it pulls out of the driveway but it will be a running driving Charger and you will be much more motivated to work on it I guarantee.   Like everyone else was saying, dont worry about a 440.  Get a 318, they are dirt cheap and will run forever. 

Mean 318

my .02 is save up your cash, these stupid cars are not going to get any cheaper and I think you will regret it. I found mine when I was 15 and I am now 18. I now have a 500 HP 440 in it. It will happen, it will take time, it will take money, and it will take your sanity if your lucky! Dont sell her!

6670charger

It's a tough call.  If you don't need the cash and have a place to put it, then I'd store it and get to it when you can. 

If you need the money and aren't "married" to the car, then sell it and get something later on when you have the means.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963