News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

welding in new panels

Started by 69Coronet, March 22, 2007, 08:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Coronet

What welder do you normally use to weld in new body panels?  I kinda thought a TIG since the metal isnt really that thick but hear stuff about useing a MIG.
Its no disgrace being poor.  Its just inconvienient.

hemi-hampton

GTX

I bought a Lincoln Weldpack 135 mig I think is the model though I've not used it on the light metal yet. I've got a friend who said that his Miller 180 was a bit too heavy and kept making holes on his GTO.  He can't seem to get it low enough not to burn.
Another friend said that his Lincoln 110 did a great job.

:shruggy:

All I know is that my 135 was a tad too light for good penetration on 4" channel or heavy cycling when we built the trailer last Summer so we used the Miller which did a great job.

-Dave

69fourspd

I think a MIG is a good choice.  When installing panels, just work slow so you do not warp the panels.  The Lincoln Weld packs will work good, but I recommend purchasing the MIG conversion kit.  You shouldn't use the flux core wire for this kind of work. 

1BAD68

I used a Lincoln 135 mig w/argon and it worked great on panels. I practiced for a week on scrap sheet metal first and was able to lap weld up to 24ga.

GTX

Quote from: 69fourspd on March 23, 2007, 10:19:37 AM
  The Lincoln Weld packs will work good, but I recommend purchasing the MIG conversion kit.  You shouldn't use the flux core wire for this kind of work.

Maybe I'm mistaken, isn't the Weldpack mig ready?  I'm using argon on mine and everything came with it but the tank and cart of course.
Maybe mine isn't the weldpack?

GTX

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 23, 2007, 12:38:03 PM
I used a Lincoln 135 mig w/argon and it worked great on panels. I practiced for a week on scrap sheet metal first and was able to lap weld up to 24ga.

Do you remember your settings?

1BAD68

no I cant remember, that was 4 years ago but it wasn't hard to do.

69fourspd

I am under the impression most Lincoln weld packs can do MIG, but you will need to purchase the air solenoid and tip to convert.  If you already have the air inlet, you are good to go.  Just need a bottle of C25 gas/Argon....

hemi-hampton

Some welders you have to convert to non flux core while others are standard without flux core. Seems like the older Lincolns you had to convert while nowadays on the newer ones no need. LEON.

GTX

Yep, mine came with regulator and all you need except cart and argon tank.

GTX

Correction:
Mine is the Pro Mig 140  You'd think I'd know what I bought! Doh! 

Silver R/T

Ive got mig welder, only welder Id use for body work
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparguy01

i normally use MIG. but if i had a tig I would use that. when both are available it really depends on what im welding. if the joint needs to flex slightly then TIG weld it since a tig weld is much more malleable compared to a MIG.