News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some opinons on restoring my 68 Coronet.....

Started by 69chargerboy, March 21, 2007, 04:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerboy

I have a 68 Coronet 440. Thinking of restoring it, it has all of the original drivetrain. I went to the NADA collectors price guide and based on a 68 Coronet 440 restored in great condition, it would only be worth 14k. I'm sure I will have at least that in the total restoration. I'm thinking of making it into a Super Bee  or an R/T 'recreation' I already have a freshly built 440hp engine with 727 trans.  I would keep the paint and interior original. So, what do you think? Numbers matching 318 Coronet or a cloned R/T or Super Bee?
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Charger1973

69charger2002

lol that's easy. it's your car, so you can do whatever you like with it! meaning clone a bee! 440's belong in muscle mopars
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

tan top

looks a real straight & a original looking coronet  :yesnod:  ,  i think a superbee clone may be
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bones68charger

Why did they call it a Coronet 440 when it only had a 318? My buddy in college had a 68 Coronet 500 with a 318 now 440. I would love to have one of them also.

69chargerboy

Quote from: Bones68charger on March 21, 2007, 05:20:39 PM
Why did they call it a Coronet 440 when it only had a 318? My buddy in college had a 68 Coronet 500 with a 318 now 440. I would love to have one of them also.

Well, I thought the same thing when I was going to answer the ad. I wasn't too knowledgable about Coronet trim levels. I also thought 440 ment the engine size. When I went to see the car, it ran and looked very solid. You can't find this type of MoPar that was used in Ohio all it's life..... I bought it in a heart beat.
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 

79JON

You can always do it like my old 68 Coronet...

mikepmcs

Do what you want, I love those cars. I say clone it!! :icon_smile_big:

It's a great car no matter what, and take lots of pictures too! :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Manfred318

I would have to say its yours do with it as you please. Personally I would leave it like it is, but thats just me. I would fix it up and use it for my daily driver.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

The70RT

Clone it. You sure won't lose any value. You can probably get some good bucks for the trim on eBay
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rocky

It is easier to change a Coronet 440 into a Super Bee, than it is an R/T, except for the dash.  I am in the process of turning my '68 500 into a Bee, so I could help you out with the tail lights and trim if you did want to go the R/T route.

TruckDriver

Hell, I'd just restore it as a plain 440. Keeps it different. I personally don't really care for clones. I know why people do it, but it it makes it so when you see the real deal, you blow it off as a clone car. If it was my car, I'd keep all the Coronet 440 stuff, and just use the Bee stripes under the 440 badging. It will still look cool.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

LargerCharger383

a muscle car with a stock 318 doesn't have much bite to match its visual and audable bark.... id go with the 440..and make it a bee, I've always thought those were cool. my  :Twocents:

69chargerboy

Thanks everyone for the great comments, I'm wondering, if I made the Coronet a Super Bee does original Bees have a Rally dash or the standard dash with a spedo of 150mph? I of course have the standard dash of 120mph.
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

ck1

I think it looks good just the way it is with the cornet and 440 trim, put a bigger engine and tranny in it and keep it simple and different, everybody's cloning, creation or what ever..................440 and 727 will look good in it and will match the 440 trim, most people wont even know that it had a 318 in it unless you tell them...........and it all ready has a great color i might add :yesnod:
CJK

694spdRT

I'd make it into a Super Bee.  :yesnod:

This is my dad's 383 4 speed Bee that we took on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2004.  Just a nice car built with goodies from various years like a '69 Ramcharger hood and Ralley wheels.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

RECHRGD

CLONE THAT PUPPY!!!!  You want to have fun driving it don't you?  318 vs 440= NO CONTEST.  If it was an original big block car I might have a different opinion depending on the model.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

I say clone away.  You'll be spending the money anyways.  My first Mopar was a '68 Coronet R/T, fastest car I've driven.  Here's some pix my mom sent me from her dealership's show last weekend.

paironines

I say definately put a big block in it, but leave the 440 coronet badging on the car. Its different that way.  All 68 Super Bees were post sedans with rally dashes so it would be better to leave it a 440 or if you really wanted to make it something else, R/T would be the way to go. All R/T's were hardtops like yours and had the standard dash with the 150mph spedo instead of the 120.

69 OUR/TEA

Hey 69chargerboy,as we've talked before,you sent me a couple reference pics,so you know how I did mine,original, because the car has 24 K original miles,and with a neat history.But mostly because I have a 69 R/T charger,and other muscle cars with good power,this car makes a great cruiser being a 318.Actually could have been in a survivor category,but I wanted to make the paint and detail show quality.Drivetrain and all components still original,not rebuilt.Your car looks like a very solid piece,so you should definetly do something with it. Cloned or original,thats up to you and your budget for the car.JMO,it would be great looking stock paint,trim,interior,but with a 440 for the sound and power!!!Here are some pics of mine again for you to see for some options,with THE original tires and rims that have only 13 K miles on them that were removed in 94 and have not been back on since last summers mopar show here in CT.

Nacho-RT74

I have A GOOD NOS SET of tail lights to that baby :D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?