News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not Again....

Started by TruckDriver, March 11, 2007, 09:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

what about a protest at the event?..  :shruggy:
  no one could blame you for that...

6pkrunner

The fix is easy. Instead of quality, you hit them with quantity. So get 100 2006 Chargers and paint 'em all like the General. Launch all 100 off 100 ramps at the exact same time. Who'd ever want to see one clapped out 1969 General clone jumped when 100 of the Magnum sedans go back to their maker. All the jump fanatics are happy, all the Magnum sedan haters are happy and the Daimler is happy they got rid of 100 of them. I'm sure this event could take place at hundreds of venues all over the planet many times a day.  ;D
Turn things around at Chrysler selling 1000s of the Magnum sedans every day. Soon the General Lee paint would become the standard paint as they would be outselling the regular street version by a factor of 10 or more. ;D

And yes all of the above was a joke.

SeattleCharger

That is stupid as #@$%

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

paironines

The people that go to those shows are mostly Dukes fans and not necessarily Charger fans. Thats the difference in attitude towards these cars.  Even thought the cars are "beat to death" you still have a running, driving, stopping Charger which is restorable in my eyes. 

Why don't the promoters of these Dukefest shows try harder to make the car level during the landings?? Every jump shot has the car coming down on the nose?

Ghoste

Because that wouldn't be as exciting.  They want automotive carnage like the people who go to the races hoping to see an accident.

Mike DC

QuoteWhy don't the promoters of these Dukefest shows try harder to make the car level during the landings?? Every jump shot has the car coming down on the nose?

Because landing a General Lee flat on all four wheels wouldn't do jack squat to preserve the car any better than coming down somewhat angled on the nose.   The stock suspension can't even SLOW DOWN that impact, let alone absorb it at all.  (Seriously, just the force of hitting the takeoff ramps at full speed can be enough to buckle the car's quarter panels!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Dukesfest" car stunts are done by basically the same tight-knit little crew as the old TV series. 

They destroyed well over 1000 vehicles during the whole run of that show from 1979-85.  The early years involved a hell of a lot of trial-and-error, and the studio was pressuring them about the atrocious bills for wrecked cars the whole time.  If there had been any practical/safe/realistic way to get a classic Hollywood "jump shot" and still preserve the cars they were using, they would have found it. 

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 18, 2007, 05:18:21 AM
QuoteWhy don't the promoters of these Dukefest shows try harder to make the car level during the landings?? Every jump shot has the car coming down on the nose?

If there had been any practical/safe/realistic way to get a classic Hollywood "jump shot" and still preserve the cars they were using, they would have found it. 

There obviously isn't a way so stop it altogether.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

charger_mike75

Even the t.v. series towards the end resorted to reusing older jump footage and model cars for any new jumps, all you gotta do is watch closely. The only way this crap will stop is when even the junk cars start pulling a price tag much like a perfectly good car does now, of course our good cars will be worth 6 digit figures by then. That might be good for our retirement plan but bad for the hobby. As long as we all hold on to our cars and not sell them then that'll be one less charger for them to destroy. I'm a Dukes fan too but I quit watching when the original cast was no longer available, just isn't the same. Anymore if I see preveiws for a movie or t.v. show showing any old car gettin the snot beat out of it I won't watch it. It's my own small part and it might not make a big difference in the big picture, but Hollywood won't get my cash for their crappy movies. I'll be spendin it on my car instead. I'll get off my soap box now.

CharlieCharger

You have to just say to  yourself " To each its own"..It's B.S but nothing anyone can do about it.
Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

Neal_J

Not to be contrary, but I could watch stuff like that forever.  I just love seeing those cars fly and crash.  And ya gotta love YouTube for bringing the action to the masses for free!

Anyway, as long as someone continues to produce these events, I (and thousands of others) will continue to watch. 

Yeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwwww Bo!

Neal

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Neal_J on March 20, 2007, 07:20:36 PM
Not to be contrary, but I could watch stuff like that forever.  I just love seeing those cars fly and crash.  And ya gotta love YouTube for bringing the action to the masses for free!

Anyway, as long as someone continues to produce these events, I (and thousands of others) will continue to watch. 

Yeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwwww Bo!

Neal

Then volunteer your car for this years event. I would pay triple the admission ticket to see the look on an owners face as his car is crashed and smashed. If your so into the TV show, the movies, the cars and you want to emulate them then by all means why don't the owners have a contest each year to see who's car can jump the highest and furthest. Talk about braggin rights. Git-R-Done! If you think I'm being stupid and ridiculous then right back at ya with your comment. Donate your car to someone who will appreciate it and just walk away.
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Neal_J

Evidently, in your world Triple, a person cannot both enjoy their own car and enjoy the crashing of a junker GL.  Indeed your comment "Donate your car to someone who will appreciate it and just walk away" in downright inane. 

In my world, the two coexist quite nicely and I thoroughly enjoy both my '69 and the DukesFest jumps.  Sorry that causes smoke to come out your ears but you'll just have to get over it. 

You'll note there's no shortage of paying spectators at these events, and millions of YouTube hits, that suggest many feel likewise as I do.

Yeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Neal

Ghoste

Many of us feel it's stupid too so I will happily go stand over with the ear smokers.

Mike DC

Dead horse, guys.  Dead horse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GRAND TOTAL of Chargers that DOH has killed in modern times (after 1985)? 

Only about 15-20 Chargers.
Yes, that's everything.  I'm not counting every Charger they've used, but I'm counting every whole car they've killed.

--  "Reunion" TV shows. 
-- The 2005 movie & the 2007 DVD flick. 
--  "Dukesfest" stunts & all the other various live-show GL jumps.

15-20 Chargers.

Does anyone think that ALL THIS STUFF has not caused another 15-20 Chargers/Mopars out there to get restored?  Anyone think that ALL THIS "Dukes" stuff has not introduced 15-20 new people into the Mopar hobby, TOTAL?   

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Neal_J on March 21, 2007, 01:07:42 AM

You'll note there's no shortage of paying spectators at these events, and millions of YouTube hits, that suggest many feel likewise as I do.

Neal

There's also no shortage of Pro(?) Wrestling fans, visitors to Anna Nichole's grave site, fast food resteraunts(?), rednecks, people who vote for American Idol and god bless them, retards.  Speaking of which.....

Neal_J

Nice list.  You forgot to include folks who resort to name-calling when they can't convince someone to accept their point of view.

Real mature, Ace.

Hahaha,

Neal

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Neal_J on March 21, 2007, 09:36:40 AM
Nice list.  You forgot to include folks who resort to name-calling when they can't convince someone to accept their point of view.

Real mature, Ace.

Hahaha,

Neal

Name calling? Where? Besides...you ever try convincing a retard to do anything?

Neal? Is that your name or what you do?  Ooohhhhhhhhhhh.

Troy

Can't leave the kids alone for five minutes these days...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.