News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior Insulation - Heat, Noise & Rust Prevention

Started by Shakey, March 19, 2007, 09:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

This past weekend we finally got around to spraying the Lizard Skin  (http://www.lizardskin.com/).  This product will help with the heat and noise in the interior as well as help with rust prevention.  We've discussed this product here a few months back.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,17248.0.html

Prior to spraying, a lot of preparation was required as we removed all of the glass, taped up all of the holes in the firewall and floor and the whole car had to be covered in case there was some overspray.  I had already taken the dash out for refinishing which made it much easier to spray the firewall.  To ensure that the product adhered well, we sprayed oxide primer throughout the interior.

Things went well and I am quite pleased with the end results, well at least how it looks.  It'll be sometime before the car sees the road so I won't know until then just how well it holds up. 

This was a major step as now I'll be able to begin with the re-assembly process, just after I finish with the inside of the quarters and doors which I'll do with the rubberized undercoating.  I'm looking to paint my dash within the next few weeks and once that is installed I can then move forward with the other items such as the brake pedal, parking brake pedal, brake booster, fresh air vent box, heater box and the wiring harness.  All of these items have been restored and stashed, waiting to be installed.  Hopefully things will move quickly but.......  ::)

Here are some photos for you and I'll be sure to post more progress photos as I go.   :yesnod:

As usual, a thanks to the members of this site who have helped with answers and guidance.    :thumbs:

Shakey

:pity:

mikepmcs

Great pics Mike.
Was it that direct of a spray that you didn't have to worry about overspray?

Looking awesome!!

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

moparjohn

I am not sure you can do it but it might be easier to install the heater box B/4 the dash.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

Shakey

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 19, 2007, 09:25:21 AM
Great pics Mike.
Was it that direct of a spray that you didn't have to worry about overspray?

Looking awesome!!

v/r
Mike

No, we were concerned about overspray.  I had the whole car covered in old sheets.  There was some spray that got away from us, onto the rocker sill panels but I just wiped it away with a wet (water) cloth.  There is pretty good control with the gun but you still need to be careful.

Thanks Mike!

Back N Black

How thick did you lay it down? My body shop guy suggested that we spray truck bedliner.Not sure if it would be too thick or not.

nh_mopar_fan

NHCharger had his sprayed with the bedliner material.

Brian, how's it working out?

Shakey

Quote from: Back N Black on March 19, 2007, 11:32:47 AM
How thick did you lay it down? My body shop guy suggested that we spray truck bedliner.Not sure if it would be too thick or not.

About 1mm - 2mm thick.

tan top

:scope:  looks good (Shakey)  :icon_smile_approve:.  i done the same & then dusted it with  body color :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NHCharger

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on March 19, 2007, 11:45:34 AM
NHCharger had his sprayed with the bedliner material.

Brian, how's it working out?

Great. Since I got my car back from the bodyshop 13 months ago it has sat in the garage untouched due to lack of Charger funds. (See message in sig line below). But I'm happy to report No Rust :D  Sorry, couldn't resist being a wiseass. Don my bodyshop guy has done that to a number of older cars he has restored and the customers are very happy with the results.
On a positive note my accountant just informed me I'm getting a sizable refund from the tax man this year (for a change). I'll be ordering the rest of the parts I need to get the 71 back together.

Here's two pics of my floor/trunk area.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

daytonalo

OttawaCharger

Looks good Shakey.  Thanks for the pics!
Does the wife know that you borrowed the good sheets to tuck in your car?  :D
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

NHCharger

Mike
That's Geoff and Todd Bodine. I've been contemplating removing Todd's name since he started racing Toyota's. Although he is a Craftman's Truck Champion.

Larry, don't worry, by the time I get the trunk mat back in, the spare and the 1/4" Launan side panels that I use to protect the quarters from anything sliding into them you'll never see the black. The luanan is painted hemi orange if that makes you feel any better.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Shakey

Quote from: NHCharger on March 20, 2007, 07:29:45 PM
The luanan is painted hemi orange if that makes you feel any better.

Whew - now I can get some sleep tonight!   :D

NHCharger

Quote from: Shakey on March 20, 2007, 07:48:42 PM
Quote from: NHCharger on March 20, 2007, 07:29:45 PM
The luanan is painted hemi orange if that makes you feel any better.

Whew - now I can get some sleep tonight!   :D

Yes, I spent countless hours and thousands of dollars designing these two pieces of wood to keep the paint dab crowd from freaking out :spank:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel