News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I or shouldn't I?

Started by 253862656971, March 18, 2007, 06:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok I've been checking out a 72 charger at the bank repo lot.  The car is an original 400-2bbl car with an automatic and a 2.45 rear gear in a 9.25 housing.  The interior is fairly beat, missing the front seats entirely but it doesn't have all the trim panels, and gauges (150mph).  The exterior is similar to the interior.  It is rusty in several places though the frame is solid from what I can see.  Both rear quarters have a little rust over the wheel wells, in the lower front part of the panel and in the rear lower part of the panel.  One side also has rust in the front lower part of the wheel well itself.  The front left fender has rust in the rear lower portion.  The front right appears to have been worked on but I can see evidence of filler in the form of scratches from a heavy paper (not sure on the quality of the job).  The front valance is a little beat (i've fixed worse) and has a couple minor rust holes.  The rear valance is a little beat as well but again nothing too terrible.  The grill appears to be in very good shape (it's a hideaway headlight option).  The taillights are iffy.  One lense is broken.  Couldn't get into the trunk to see how the pan was was.  The floor pans appear solid.  The engine does not run and it appears a fair amount of work will be in order to get it road worthy (radiator, fan, various small pieces).  All trim pieces appear to be presesnt and in reasonable shape.

My dillema is should I buy this car.  I've been wanting a nice 50bmg rifle for some time and I can't afford to buy the rifle and buy the car at the same time.  On top of this I already have 5 chargers ranging from 68 to 73.  I don't have a 72.  I have been keeping my eye on a 72 charger with a 400 and a 4spd for a few years now as well.  I would really rather have this car than the bank one but I don't know if it will ever be for sale.  I also don't have all my projects finished.  I've hardly touched my 73 since I bought it (not real sure what I'm even going to do with it yet being that it's rare but not exactly desirable).  My 68 is still in pieces from when I bought it this summer.  And I have to finish the paint work on my 71 and put an interirior in it.  My 69 isn't going to be torn apart soon.  It's my driver. 

I guess I have a couple questions:
1. Should I work on purchasing the 72 I described or should I pass and wait on a better car and in the meantime buy my rifle.
2. Buy it.  And if so what's it worth (ballpark)? 

I guess what draws me the most to this 72 is it's low gear ratio.  For various reasons I'd like to get a really low gear ratio for a larger rear end so I have a 3rd question.  Can I get extremely low geared ring and pinions brand new or do I have to get them used for the larger rear ends (8.75 and up)?

And sorry no pics as of now.
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

dkn1997

buy the rifle, shoot the guy who runs the bank repo lot, and you can have both!!! :icon_smile_evil:
RECHRGED

70charger_boy

I would buy the car.  You'll get bored with the rifle and have to sell it for less than you bought it.  The charger will sell for more

tan top

buy the charger :yesnod: , you can buy the gun any time i you like as they are making them new . ;D
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

rt green

if you can get into the bank car cheap enough, and give yourself some time, you could have both.  first, i'd check in with the 72 4 speed guy and see if he'll sell.  if not yet, you still have time to get a four speed one. you colud always make the bank car into a 4 speed car
third string oil changer

HITMAN 149

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 18, 2007, 06:45:11 PM
buy the rifle, shoot the guy who runs the bank repo lot, and you can have both!!! :icon_smile_evil:

:devil: mua-hahahahaha
and i thought i was the only sick bastard who thought like that!?!?!?!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Troy

Speaking as someone with way too many projects going at once... don't buy either. The car sounds like a *big* project and I seriously doubt if you could get a lot out of it if you had to sell. Is it worth it to you to store it and hang on to it for a while? The rust issues will only get worse. I'm not a 3rd gen expert by any means but I don't see the values on those cars climbing much and the parts are hard to find (especially good sheetmetal).  It seems like a lot of work to me and, as stated, the gun is being manufactured new. I'd hold out for a more complete/finished car for more money but, in the mean time, spend the cash to get something else closer to finished.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

LargerCharger383

yeah, I agree with troy too.  i'd use the money towards completeing one of your existing projects. my  :Twocents:

THE COLONEL

Quote from: LargerCharger383 on March 19, 2007, 11:37:55 AM
yeah, I agree with troy too.  i'd use the money towards completeing one of your existing projects. my  :Twocents:

Yep, I agree with this one too!
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

moparguy01

between the 2, I'd chose the gun. Next time you have the money together it wont be legal to buy one of those... :flame:
the values on third  gens are still relatively low, and i dont think theyre going to skyrocket anytime soon.

Quote from: moparguy01 on March 19, 2007, 12:35:26 PM
between the 2, I'd chose the gun. Next time you have the money together it wont be legal to buy one of those... :flame:
the values on third  gens are still relatively low, and i dont think theyre going to skyrocket anytime soon.

That's kinda why I want the gun now.  So this all brings me to the 3rd question.  Can I find new low numerical gears for a 8.75 rear end?
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

mikepmcs

Isn't there one lower than 2.76 for the 8.75?

I'm asking for the Mob's help on this one.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Quote from: mikepmcs on March 19, 2007, 06:41:02 PM
Isn't there one lower than 2.76 for the 8.75?

I'm asking for the Mob's help on this one.

v/r
Mike

I was thinking 2.55's were available as well back in the day.

moparguy01

2.45 or something like that. I honestly cant remember. the only problem is it needed a special carrier and its quite rare. I've seen one of these but it was in a 8 1/4 rear.

2.76 is your best bet.