News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

looking for tips to make my 69 RR more reliable for a longgggg trip

Started by austinpalibroda, March 17, 2007, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 20, 2007, 11:08:22 AM
I think the most important item listed above would be a FIRE EXTINGUISHER. Also keep a 1/2" wrench within arms reach in case you have to disconnect the battery in an emergency.

In case you didn't notice fire extinguisher was first on my list. I saw a beautiful street rod burn at a gas station when I was a teen. Never forgot how the owner sat down and cried on the curb.
I have one of those quick disconnects on the negative battery post on both my Chargers. They only cost $5.00 at the local parts store.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

austinpalibroda

all good ideas guys, thanks! glad i have lots of trunk space in my b body, i'll surely be prepared for anything!
Canadian Mopar Boy.

BB1

Here are my two buddies, Smith & Wesson.

Don't leave home without them.
Delete my profile

jerry

well i would never drive my car again if i listened to this bunch and i would have to have a u-haul hooked to the back to bring all the parts.any of you guys old enough to have driven one of these cars when they were used every day with points dist?you might as well drive your truck because the way it sounds ,you won' t make it out of town.no wonder everyone trailers their cars and i thought it was because they are all show poodles. :popcrn:

aifilaw

Although a little angsty and rife with sarcasm and cynicism, your underlying theme is quite right. There does however, exist some out there that are either brave, or stupid.
Myself for example drove my charger on 4 long distance trips (600-1100miles) in a 426c.i. stroked 383 with 12:1 dynamic compression, pieced together with parts only a broke college student could afford, and as a daily driver for 30,000 miles of 3 years before shelving it to drive something that had better fuel economy.
I carried about 200 lbs of tools in my trunk, and several spare parts, like ballast resistor, coil, ecu, distributer, plug wires, plugs, jack, 4-way tire iron, and a few other assundry items.
Interestingly enough, with all of my preparedness or unpreparedness, I never once broke down mid-trip, and she never left me stranded once.

Oh, and BB1, laws don't allow you to drive about the US at all as a Canadian with a weapon... let alone quite often does it allow American citizens to go state-to-state with out proper licensing, or at all in several cases.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

BB1

Boy are you wrong aifilaw. I can tell you what states have conceal and carry laws.
Bill of rights??
I'm license to carry and I pack heat every day.
Delete my profile

resq302

BB1,

Being that I work for law enforcement, if one of my cops pulls you over and sees ANY kind of gun (be it handgun or shotgun/rifle), you better believe that you are getting ripped out of your car at gun point.  There are varying laws state to state for permit to carry and transporting.  I think it was only recently that law enforcement officers can carry their weapon over state lines and on aircraft.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I carry a lot of spare parts when I travel but contrary to what that might imply, it's by no means a show poodle and I do recall when these cars were new and only had points in the distributors.  Problem is, mine isn't new anymore it's 41 years old and to my great surprise, a well used machine that was originally meant to last 4 or 5 years has a mechanical issue from time to time at 41 years of age.  Sadly, those issues don't seem to occur that often when it's sitting still in the garage. :icon_smile_wink:

BB1

I am trained, I don't have guns visible in my car, I work on private property.
Come to Kansas, there is a lot of space out here where law enforcement are not around.
I know of no police department that will protect me 24/7. It is the last resort; personal property they can have, my life they can't.

Thanks for your service resq302.

Back to the subject, I don't like to high jack threads at gun point.  :smilielol:
Delete my profile

aifilaw

Quote from: resq302 on December 04, 2008, 03:53:52 AM
BB1,

Being that I work for law enforcement, if one of my cops pulls you over and sees ANY kind of gun (be it handgun or shotgun/rifle), you better believe that you are getting ripped out of your car at gun point.  There are varying laws state to state for permit to carry and transporting.  I think it was only recently that law enforcement officers can carry their weapon over state lines and on aircraft.

And that's why I won't come to your state, only ones with reciprocity.
An officer in Texas or Arizona where I'm from tries that with one of the few million people who drive around with a rifle in a rack behind their head or a CHL license, they either won't be alive or won't be in law enforcement very much longer.

Mmm thread hijacking..
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads