News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

looking for tips to make my 69 RR more reliable for a longgggg trip

Started by austinpalibroda, March 17, 2007, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinpalibroda

I'm thinking about taking my 69 roadrunner (cloan, besides the point though!) on a trip across america. i'm from saskatchewan canada, and i want to dirve down to tennessee to visit some friends, and then to south carolina to see some more. i have a strong 360 in it, runs well and has been very reliable for me. 4 barrel, headers, cam, etc. just a slightly done up motor. 727 auto, with a 2.76 rear end which i put in for a long haul on the highway. i plan to basically check the entire car over and take it from there.  its been good, but for a trip like this i wanna go the extra mile to make it as reliable as possible.  new tires, tune up, etc. this is a daily driver and i simply want to make this trip in my muscle car instead of my truck, just to say i did. i could fly down there, but i want this experience, and i want to cross america in this car.  it would be about a 3300 km trip for what i have looked into (one way, i plan to stay in south carolina for a few months).  as it is right now, it runs great and i rarely have problems with it. i basically plan to look the car over and tune it up as best i can, with my father (i'm 20 years old). so i was just wondering if anyone else has made a really long trip with their car before, and if anyone has some tips on ensuring a safe and reliable ride there. theres a lot of obvious things, but ANY tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated! I'm really looking forward to making this happen!
Canadian Mopar Boy.

bordin34

I would bring some spare gas,battery,coolant,oil,trans fluid if auto, zip ties, tools, air pump and a tire repair kit.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

NHCharger

Sounds like you've already covered all your bases. The only thing I would recommend is if your still runs a point ignition I would switch to electronic ignition. The best thing to do is bring along a good set of tools and some spare parts that might be susceptible to failure. I drive my 72 Charger to carlisle and back every year, 1200 miles round trip. I have a complete check list of items to bring.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

mikepmcs

Take some extra ignition parts and fuses, a fusible link, ballast etc.  Obviously some extra oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid.  Make sure you have a good spare and another one to take if room allows.  A healthy jack and the tools required to do the job.
Fuses, JB weld(you never know).

If you are really looking to do this on the road(meaning repairs if need be)
Take a brake cylinder, extra hoses, vac radiator and fuel, a pair of pantie hose if a belt breaks or just some extra belts. 

Plugs, a couple extra plug wires, some spare electrical wire and butt connectors in case you need to reapir some wires on the way.

Make sure your exhaust is tight,and header bolts are secure.  I'd take a set of copper or dead soft aluminum header gaskets with you as well.

PB Blast for those tough bolts should you need to loosen up some stubborn buggers.

Definitely a Fire Extinguisher or 2 just for good measure, that's a must!!!

extra headlights, running light bulbs, etc...

Like you said grease him up and tune it up, checking bolts and such all over the car. 

Air pressure check every gas stop, maybe a lugnut check every once in a while too.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but those are some to think about anyway.

Oh yeah bring some bottled water as well as coolant.

Of course there will be many auto stores along the way but at least you won't have to waste your time trying to find them  if you have some basic stuff.

I actually need to take my on advice here and set myself up a kit for daily operations. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Good luck and have fun.

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

NHCharger

OK, here's my list.

fire extinqusier                  tire inflater that plugs into cig. lighter
tire plug kit                       ballast resistor
thermostat                       mechanics wire
duct tape                         electrical tape
service manual                   spare keys
electrical tester                 jumper cables
fan belts                           fix a flat
first aid kit                         water/antifreeze mix- 1 gallon
fuses                                water- 1 gallon
motor oil                           tranny oil
brake fluid                         power steering oil
air gauge                          assorted electoral plugs
2 jack stands                     small floor jack (would never use a bumper jack)
flash light                          PB Blaster
JB Weld                            plugs and wires
assorted wire                     bulbs
fusible link                          hose clamps
Complete tool kit including timing light
If I was traveling over 2000 miles I'd also pack an extra coil, fuel pump, alternator.

The only tools I've needed during my trips were the jack, jackstands and mechanics wire to wire my exhaust system back together.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Rayzor

I have driven my 68 Charger across the states to Ga. and Ohio from here in Oregon. Both times were pretty easy and no major breakage. I have both times given it a major tune up with all fluids belts and hoses changed including the rear diff. Check out your u-joints and wheel bearings as well. If somthing seems a little weak or questionable change it. Its alot easier to fix things at home then along the road. Make sure the cooling system is in top condition. If some of the tune up parts are still in fair shape pitch them in a small box for road spares. I like to have plenty of drinking water and some food along to, as if my car gives up I will NOT leave it roadside for anything. last but most important a first aid kit and fire exstinguisher. You or someone else on the way just may need some help. Road trips rock, so bring good tunes.

K9COP

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

K9COP

Just kidding, good luck with the trip.. maybe you could post some pics from along the way? :popcrn:

I drove my Skyline down to a race circuit in Germany two years ago (Nurburgring) and packed loads of spares.. didn't take replacements for the two turbos I fritzed though :cussing:
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

moparjohn

You'll be fine with all the items everyone has listed, luckily in a 69 B body almost everything will fit. Don't forget a cell phone (road trips in my 69 is why I got mine) and alot of money/cc for gas. Have a blast!
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

daves68

resq302

Quote from: NHCharger on March 17, 2007, 10:04:12 PM
OK, here's my list.

fire extinqusier                  tire inflater that plugs into cig. lighter
tire plug kit                       ballast resistor
thermostat                       mechanics wire
duct tape                         electrical tape
service manual                   spare keys
electrical tester                 jumper cables
fan belts                           fix a flat
first aid kit                         water/antifreeze mix- 1 gallon
fuses                                water- 1 gallon
motor oil                           tranny oil
brake fluid                         power steering oil
air gauge                          assorted electoral plugs
2 jack stands                     small floor jack (would never use a bumper jack)
flash light                          PB Blaster
JB Weld                            plugs and wires
assorted wire                     bulbs
fusible link                          hose clamps
Complete tool kit including timing light
If I was traveling over 2000 miles I'd also pack an extra coil, fuel pump, alternator.

The only tools I've needed during my trips were the jack, jackstands and mechanics wire to wire my exhaust system back together.

The above list is pretty good but I would eliminate some of them such as thermostat, bulbs, air gauge, one jack stand, and  maybe add just one extra lenth of wire, solder-less connectors, if you have electronic ignition, I would bring a spare (if not two) ballast resistors, ECU box (not a MP orange one), distributor pick up, brass feeler gauge, a quart of p/s fluid, trans oil, motor oil, brake fluid, and a gal of water, spare keys to keep as set in your pocket so you dont lock yourself out.  Figure stuff that is on the list like bulbs, thermostat and other items that can be readily picked up at any auto parts store you will not need to bring as if the problem arrises, you can hit one of those places along the way or at least limp into where you can get the parts.  Everything else, you will need on the side of the road to keep you going until you can reach a repair or parts store.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

aifilaw

I would take a spare water pump, and at least 2 ballast resistors along with the list.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

austinpalibroda

hey guys!

thanks for all the quick replies, sorry i wasnt on to reply sooner! thats all great info, i really appreciate it! if i really follow through with this, it wont be til sometime in april when i start out (saskatchewans winters, gotta love it) i plan on taking about a dozen disposable cameras and take as many pics as i can of the places i see, my car, etc! its gonna be a heck of a trip, i never done anything like this before! hopefully i can come across some cars and talk to people along the way. heck, maybe even run into someone from here! i was thinking of putting a removable sticker on my back window that says north american road trip or something maybe, although that might draw unwanted attention, who knows. i'm thinking my biggest expense is going to be fuel! unless i have some major breakdown, but with all the help i've gotten here, along with what i already had planned, i should be fairly safe i think! thanks for all the help, i'll keep you posted and let everyone know when i leave. maybe i could get on here during the trip and post pics, who knows! thanks again, we'll keep in touch
Canadian Mopar Boy.

gtx6970

If it has points , Leave it in. It's much easier to change a points dist along the side of the road than it is to trouble shoot an electrocic ignition system with basic hand tools.
My first advise sign up with AAA for road side asistances issues.
If you trust it  now. I wouldn't  make ANY changes at all.  It just adds to the worry factor with any new changes. And if you trust the gas gauge ,Spare gas in the trunk is a serious safety  hazard.

Me, I'd do a major tune up and change every fluid level in it from coolant  to rear axle , look them over for any metallics to see if any bearing issues to worry about . replace all the hoses unless they are already new.

I'd grab my AAA card, my  credit cards, a small tool box with basic hand tools and flash light with extra batterys, an extra fan belt, a  spare dist and fuel pump ,a couple extra ballast resistors and maybe an extra spare tire and run with it.

Oh and my cell phone is a must with a car charger plug in at all times. A cb might be a good idea to.
About 20 years ago a friend and his wife of  mine did exactly what you want to do, In his superbird . he took an extra dist , fuel pump and took off. Never needed any of it, and he drove driving over 3000 miles round trip.

austinpalibroda

thanks again for the tips, it all helps! i was wondering about AAA, is that just an american thing? i know i can get CAA here, i'm not sure if it would work in the states, or if i am able to get AAA as a canadian
Canadian Mopar Boy.

NHCharger

Quote from: gtx6970 on March 18, 2007, 06:23:04 PM

I'd grab my AAA card, my  credit cards, a small tool box with basic hand tools and flash light with extra batterys, an extra fan belt, a  spare dist and fuel pump ,a couple extra ballast resistors and maybe an extra spare tire and run with it.

Oh and my cell phone is a must with a car charger plug in at all times. A cb might be a good idea to.

You sound like a friend of mine that has a 67 Plymouth vert that he drives alot during the summer (long trip's too). When I asked him what he carried for tools and supplies he replied, "credit card, AAA card, cell phone and sunblock 90 for my bald spot".
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

is_it_EVER_done?

I'm certain that I drive these old cars far more miles than anyone else. I just make sure they are 100%. This sounds simple, but you must understand that 100% for me is quite different than it would be for someone that puts maybe 2,000 miles per year on their car.

My point being is that I don't need to carry anything more than I carry in my Camry, because I already know that the U-joints, water pump, hoses, battery, electrical, tires, etc. etc., is ready. So I suggest you take an hour or so, with paper and pencil and look over your car.

If you have an original 40 year old water pump, heater core, radiator, etc. Make a note of it so you can plan for a failure of one of those parts. Same goes for all the other systems of the car. Remember, these cars set the standard for durability/dependability when they were new, so as long as you don't have a known weak link, you should have zero problems with an extended trip.

I have no fear of going into the depths of Death Valley in the middle of Summer, or across I-70 (Colorado) in the middle of winter, but since either of these locals can easily kill you in the event of a breakdown, you need to know if the cars components are up to it, and this needs to be done at home - before a trip.

The only extra things I carry in my trunk are a gallon of pottable water (for the radiator or me), a minimall but decent tool kit so that if I should have to change a belt or water pump, I can do so without having to pay the insane prices of an isolated gas station or mechanic, and a CB radio that runs off batteries or cigarette lighter, as it's amazing how little area a cell phone actually works in (never had to use the CB yet). I carry the same kit in my late model imports.

If I felt the need, or had to carry more than that in my three 69's, I would sell them as I have zero use for a car I can't use on a daily basis. --- In re-reading this I remember that I DO now carry a can of tire air/sealer in my old cars (haven't needed it yet) because I found it impossible to get a flat fixed, or even buy a new tire in 15 inch, in desolate rural areas.

Only you can know the potential weak areas of your car. Either eliminate the weaknesses (the smart move) or plan for possible failures in areas you put on your list, and carry spares for them as needed. Lastly, get yourself in the mindset that 1/2 tank is EMPTY! If you can get yourself to actually start panicing as the gas gauge gets near 1/2, you will eliminate the ridiculous embarrassment (and self hatred), of running out of gas (don't ask me how I know this)! There are areas in the U.S. that can be 100 miles between gas stations.

One thing I can say for certain is that a trip is not fun if you have worries about your car in the back of your mind, but a trip in one of these old cars that you have total faith in is far more fun than you can imagine.

austinpalibroda

thanks for the tips! i'm taking all this into consideration, this is a great site!
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Charger1973

Cool man!  If you come through Iowa let me know!   

Also, for the price of all those disposable cameras, I bet you could get a decent digital.   :thumbs:

austinpalibroda

i'll let ya know, i think i will be in Iowa! and for the disposable cameras, i buy them at this discount place for 2 bucks a piece! i dont wanna lose a digital on the trip, haha
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Harlow

How are you going to post the pictures without a digital? I'd like to do a big trip in my car someday, so I'm soaking up all this info as well.

austinpalibroda

Canadian Mopar Boy.

bordin34

I dont think anybody said this yet... a fire extinguisher.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

694spdRT

It is good to be prepared for a long trip. I do find it funny how careful we are when blasting off with our older cars but usually pay no mind to jumping in our other vehicles without a care in the world.  ;D

I would like to take my Challenger on a long trip when it is completed. I basically agree with the advice of knowing what your car is and were the weak points are and correcting them first. It will cost much more to fix on the road than at home. My trunk is not as big as your B body so I will need to plan sparingly with my essentials.  ;)

I am trying to think of a time one of my old cars let me down and I can't think of anything major. The trailer we were towing one on has blown a tire on two occasions and the rear end of the new truck pulling it locked up once though......
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

GreenMachine

I think the most important item listed above would be a FIRE EXTINGUISHER. Also keep a 1/2" wrench within arms reach in case you have to disconnect the battery in an emergency. It's happened to me twice, and recently I witnessed a guys Jeep burn due to an electrical fire that might have been avoided if the battery was disconnected in time. He just had exhaust work done and I think the pos. cable was rubbing.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

NHCharger

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 20, 2007, 11:08:22 AM
I think the most important item listed above would be a FIRE EXTINGUISHER. Also keep a 1/2" wrench within arms reach in case you have to disconnect the battery in an emergency.

In case you didn't notice fire extinguisher was first on my list. I saw a beautiful street rod burn at a gas station when I was a teen. Never forgot how the owner sat down and cried on the curb.
I have one of those quick disconnects on the negative battery post on both my Chargers. They only cost $5.00 at the local parts store.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

austinpalibroda

all good ideas guys, thanks! glad i have lots of trunk space in my b body, i'll surely be prepared for anything!
Canadian Mopar Boy.

BB1

Here are my two buddies, Smith & Wesson.

Don't leave home without them.
Delete my profile

jerry

well i would never drive my car again if i listened to this bunch and i would have to have a u-haul hooked to the back to bring all the parts.any of you guys old enough to have driven one of these cars when they were used every day with points dist?you might as well drive your truck because the way it sounds ,you won' t make it out of town.no wonder everyone trailers their cars and i thought it was because they are all show poodles. :popcrn:

aifilaw

Although a little angsty and rife with sarcasm and cynicism, your underlying theme is quite right. There does however, exist some out there that are either brave, or stupid.
Myself for example drove my charger on 4 long distance trips (600-1100miles) in a 426c.i. stroked 383 with 12:1 dynamic compression, pieced together with parts only a broke college student could afford, and as a daily driver for 30,000 miles of 3 years before shelving it to drive something that had better fuel economy.
I carried about 200 lbs of tools in my trunk, and several spare parts, like ballast resistor, coil, ecu, distributer, plug wires, plugs, jack, 4-way tire iron, and a few other assundry items.
Interestingly enough, with all of my preparedness or unpreparedness, I never once broke down mid-trip, and she never left me stranded once.

Oh, and BB1, laws don't allow you to drive about the US at all as a Canadian with a weapon... let alone quite often does it allow American citizens to go state-to-state with out proper licensing, or at all in several cases.

BB1

Boy are you wrong aifilaw. I can tell you what states have conceal and carry laws.
Bill of rights??
I'm license to carry and I pack heat every day.
Delete my profile

resq302

BB1,

Being that I work for law enforcement, if one of my cops pulls you over and sees ANY kind of gun (be it handgun or shotgun/rifle), you better believe that you are getting ripped out of your car at gun point.  There are varying laws state to state for permit to carry and transporting.  I think it was only recently that law enforcement officers can carry their weapon over state lines and on aircraft.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I carry a lot of spare parts when I travel but contrary to what that might imply, it's by no means a show poodle and I do recall when these cars were new and only had points in the distributors.  Problem is, mine isn't new anymore it's 41 years old and to my great surprise, a well used machine that was originally meant to last 4 or 5 years has a mechanical issue from time to time at 41 years of age.  Sadly, those issues don't seem to occur that often when it's sitting still in the garage. :icon_smile_wink:

BB1

I am trained, I don't have guns visible in my car, I work on private property.
Come to Kansas, there is a lot of space out here where law enforcement are not around.
I know of no police department that will protect me 24/7. It is the last resort; personal property they can have, my life they can't.

Thanks for your service resq302.

Back to the subject, I don't like to high jack threads at gun point.  :smilielol:
Delete my profile

aifilaw

Quote from: resq302 on December 04, 2008, 03:53:52 AM
BB1,

Being that I work for law enforcement, if one of my cops pulls you over and sees ANY kind of gun (be it handgun or shotgun/rifle), you better believe that you are getting ripped out of your car at gun point.  There are varying laws state to state for permit to carry and transporting.  I think it was only recently that law enforcement officers can carry their weapon over state lines and on aircraft.

And that's why I won't come to your state, only ones with reciprocity.
An officer in Texas or Arizona where I'm from tries that with one of the few million people who drive around with a rifle in a rack behind their head or a CHL license, they either won't be alive or won't be in law enforcement very much longer.

Mmm thread hijacking..