News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What was the last year of the 440 sixpack engine and HP block?

Started by Daytona Guy, March 17, 2007, 11:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

What was the last year of the 440 sixpack engine and HP block?

Ghoste

Officially, the Six Pack ended in 1971 but there were a couple of very early cars that snuck out with one in 1972.  I don't know when the HP designation ended on blocks.  1974?

John_Kunkel

The HP designation was used right up to the end of production in '78.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

max

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 17, 2007, 04:57:12 PM

The HP designation was used right up to the end of production in '78.

i also saw a 1978 truck engine that was internally balanced and had a steel crank along with the big (six pack) rods. it was an original set up since the rod and main bearings were not only worn but they had the manufacture date on the back sides of the bearings that matched the year of the block. i guess these were left over parts that mopar were just trying to use up before the 440 was discontinued.

tecmopar

There are a bunch of 440's out there with 6-Pak rods in them built after '71. Chrysler had so many left over that they stuffed 'em in just about anything to use them up rather then toss them. '78 was the last year I saw an HP block.