News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torqueflite 727.......torque converter perhaps?

Started by TylerCharger69, March 05, 2006, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerCharger69

I have never run across this problem before, and since transmissions are somewhat my weak point,  I thought I would get a professional opinion.   
     What is happening is.....when I attempt to do a power brake burnout,  as I'm frequently requested to do so on occasion,  recently, what has been happening is when I punch the accelerator,  the tires don't want to roast anymore, AND, at the same time, when I take my foot of the pedal, the engine continues to rev high UNTIL I put it in park or neutral and ONLY THEN does the engine idle back down because it wont when the car is still in gear.  Also,  on the same note, recently.......when the car is in park or neutral,  it idles at about 900 r.p.m., where it should be, and I know when the car is placed in gear, it SHOULD drop down to somewhere around 650 r.p.m. but the car wants to stall out.   All this has happened in the same time frame.  I thought maybe a vacuum problem,  but that was eliminated.  I thought maybe a carb issue...(Edelbrock 1405...if it helps) but it runs fine at normal driving and idles fine in park.  Then I thought vacuum modulator,  and then I immediately dispensed with that idea  since there is none on the 727 TF.   The tranny does not slip in normal driving conditions,  but when it tries to idle in gear, I can feel the accelerator pedal "pulsate" with the cadence of the engine.   I thought kickdown linkage, but it is not connected  because I am using a manual valve body.  There are no vacuum leaks anywhere, including the hoses that open the headlight doors to the light switch.   My thinking is the torque converter is toast  because of the high revving AFTER I take my foot off of the gas and wont idle down until i place it in neutral.     Any help with this issue  would really help out!!!          Thanks!!!         Ace Tyler ???

mikepmcs

bump for you ace. :bump:

I was thinking torque converter as well as I was reading it.

Calling John Kunkel, RD, etc..... :wave:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

John_Kunkel

An engine that won't return to idle after revving in gear doesn't have a converter problem, it has a broken drivers side engine mount.

The broken mount allows the engine to torque up and bind the throttle cable causing it to stick until the trans is shifted out of gear.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.