News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Linkages

Started by Chris 69, March 10, 2007, 11:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

I am converting my column shifted '68 Charger to a console auto. Today, I had the brackets for the console and the shifter welded in. When I connected the linkages to the floor shifter, I could not get the transmission to shift gears. The vertical linkage would move laterally since it is has no lower support.

After searching on this site, I found the attached picture for a '69 Charger with a console automatic.

My Questions:

1. Is the linkage (#1) in the picture the same for a '68 Charger?
2. Is linkage #2 different for a console shifted auto than for a column shifted?

My Charger is a 383 4bbl with the 727 trans.

Also, if anyone has a picture of how the linkage setup below the floor pan is connected, please post it as it would help alot.

Thanks,

Chris

tecmopar

Sounds like your missing the bracket that bolts to the trans. It keeps the vertical rod from moving fore and aft. It is in the picture, good luck.

Chris 69

Quote from: tecmopar on March 11, 2007, 03:37:22 AM
Sounds like your missing the bracket that bolts to the trans. It keeps the vertical rod from moving fore and aft. It is in the picture, good luck.

Where does the bracket bolt to the trans?

If someone has a picture of the bracket installed, please post it.

Chris

GreenMachine

There is a boss aft of the pan with 2 bolt holes. I think some transmiisions didn't come with that boss though, maybe just truck transmissions. The bracket has 2 studs to mount it with nuts and a plastic bushing for the shift rod to go through. I think someone is reproducing the bracket (maybe Bouchillon Performance?). They're not cheap for what they are. Sorry, can't post a pic but it's pretty straightforward.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Ghoste

If you look in this pic, the boss you are looking for is right below the speedo pinion hole.  It's for a 70 model but the part you are talking about is the same throughout.

Chris 69

Thanks for the information.

I looked at the location mentioned by GreenMachine and there looks to be a place to mount the bracket (Picture 1).

Ghoste, based on the diagram you posted, the clamp and swivel connect under the lever on the transmission. When i was trying to connect the linkages on Saturday, I do no think the clamp and swivel will clear the hump in the transmission housing located below the lever. Is the lever in picture 2, item 1 different (longer) for console shifted automatics?

Also, what is the device with the three pins in picture 2 item 2?

Chris

Ghoste

The two holes located below the speedo pinion in pic 1, are where the bracket blots to that holds the linkage on for the the floor shift.  The item with the pins is for the neutral safety switch and as for the lever, it is quite possible they are different.  PM John Kunkel to find out for sure, he is a master at identifying that stuff.  The other thing to keep in mind with the fsm drawing that I included is that I used a 1970 one (only because that manual happened to be sitting on my desk at the time) and it includes a steering wheel interlock on there.  The 68 linkage is less encumbered so it doesn't have to pin in from below.  Hook it up however it fits best.

John_Kunkel

One source for the bracket is Wilson Productions (314-487-7873 or 314-487-3298); they get $45 for it.

The offset transmission shift lever shown seems to be the most common on console shifter but I can't say for sure; the parts book is ambiguous.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chris 69

Thanks for the info.

I will try reconnecting the linkages next weekend to see what works best.

John, thanks for the numbers.

Chris

firefighter3931

Chris, i have a spare bracket that i won't be using....going to a cable ratchet shifter. Lemme know if you want it....save ya $45.00.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chris 69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 12, 2007, 08:35:22 PM
Chris, i have a spare bracket that i won't be using....going to a cable ratchet shifter. Lemme know if you want it....save ya $45.00.  ;)

Ron

Ron, you have been PM'ed.

Thanks,

Chris