News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How To Be A Tightwad & Save

Started by Old Moparz, September 07, 2005, 03:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

Or Just Be Cheap & Get More Stuff For Your Charger!   :icon_smile_big:

I couldn't help it, I had to think more about the money I saved buying certain tools & car parts to make sure I would have money to get something else I needed, or put money aside to take my wife & daughter somewhere for the weekend. (Not those Chinese car dollies in the other thread though.) That also worked when I was building my garage too. I'd build or modify something a certain way, or go to a building liquidator to find something instead of the lumber yard or Home Depot. Just the fact that I built it myself saved me thousands of dollars & many headaches looking over a contractor's shoulder.

A few good examples on that one, would be the decorative design over the window on the front of the garage. I wanted one of those half circle, fan shaped panels, that give the window a nicer look. I priced one & was shocked that a molded plastic panel was over $200. It's plastic, not even wood. I went to the building supply liquidator & found 3 bundles of cedar clap board siding for $15 & bought a box of stainless steel finish nails for $5. Now I could have "cheaped out" & bought regular galvanized nails, but stainless is money well spent.

It took the better part of one weekend to make the panel, trim it, caulk it & mount it without any plans, but saving $180 let me do something else on the building. I also got free windows when my boss had new ones installed at our office. They're fixed panels on the first floor for light & don't open, but 4 double pane windows would probably cost $400 or more. The same with the steel, side entry door. I got it at Home Depot off the clearance rack for $75 instead of $150 regularly. Just the above 3 items saved me $655 to spend elsewhere.

Just think about what $655 would do for a car you're working on right now. Maybe those new seat covers? Maybe a nice, new pair of chromed bumpers? It's not a savings plan, but sometimes knowing you managed not to spend as much as you could have, helps.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

derailed

I totally agree with you. Thtas why i always keep a close eye in the wantad digest as well. Some dumbass that soesnt know how to measure goes out and buys a new door or window that doesnt fit, then sells it for half what he paid for it. Sometimes theres some good deals on tools to. Just have to know what your looking for, alot of times things are cheap for a reason. If you can make stuff yourself like you do your way ahead of the game. As far as the dollies go, im leaning on making my own.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger_Fan

Beautiful story...

...now if you would only save a pic of your garage during the summertime. You know, where the trees have leaves, the roof is devoid of white crap, birds are chirping, it looks like a friggin' heatwave is upon you...you know, pics like that. :D

Sorry buddy, I just had to. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

andy74

ive been buying beer in bulk-its cheaper that way,does that count?

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: andy74 on September 07, 2005, 07:09:11 PM

Hmmmm, if it was that beer that just said, "BEER", on it.   ;)

That in bulk would work. ;D
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Khyron

Quote from: formula_440 on September 07, 2005, 07:15:45 PM

I've seen that brand on all my TV shows.  :o

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Just 6T9 CHGR

No to change the mood of the topic but that is a really NICE garage OM!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Khyron on September 07, 2005, 07:19:58 PM
Quote from: formula_440 on September 07, 2005, 07:15:45 PM

I've seen that brand on all my TV shows.   :o

Or, if you're watchin' your waistline:

Posted on: Today at 07:23:45 PM Posted by: 6T9_CHARGER_RT

:iagree:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

MoparYoungGun

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 07, 2005, 05:29:09 PM
Beautiful story...

...now if you would only save a pic of your garage during the summertime. You know, where the trees have leaves, the roof is devoid of white crap, birds are chirping, it looks like a friggin' heatwave is upon you...you know, pics like that. :D

I did once, you must have missed it, & I can't find it now so you're out of luck. :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: andy74 on September 07, 2005, 07:09:11 PM

I don't think I agree with "BEER" brand beer being very good, but I'd sample it to be sure. (I know Charger Fan would drink it, even if he didn't like it.) If you ever get to Newburgh, I'll make sure I have some bulk beer for you, but it'll be a few steps up from "BEER" brand.   :cheers:

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on September 07, 2005, 07:23:45 PM

Thanks, & since when do I care if any of my threads change?   :icon_smile_big:   What beer do you drink, Chris? There will be some in the fridge for you & anyone else that drops by too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Just think how much money you would have saved if you would have left it the way it was. ;D

Charger4404spd

I do the same thing. I work on the lifttrucks and electric pickers for Lowe's, so I am in there a couple times a week. I get to see all the stuff returned. A lot of it is destined for the trash compactor.

I bought a new 2300psi press. washer for $150. It was missing the wand, so they ordered me a new wand to go with it. :-)
Got an 18.5hp 46 in cut lawn tractor for $500. It was dropped in the crate and broke the intake. New intake was $44.

5550 watt generator for $275. Just missing the wheels.

Huge 4 burner grill for $50. Just needed a regulator.

And last week, I picked up another grill. All stainless Commercial unit. It had been slightly used and returned for some unknown reason. Brought it home, gave it a bath and looks like new. This one was FREE!

Almost forgot, they gave me a 120 piece tool set in a nice case. It was missing ONE 1/2" socket. They were gonna trash it. Geeezzz!

derailed

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 08, 2005, 05:51:42 AM

yeah old moparz probably has them on his lift ;D

41husk

Better than buying bulk beer drink Free beer and save even more :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

Quote from: drailed on September 08, 2005, 09:06:03 AM

yeah old moparz probably has them on his lift ;D

:smilielol:

No, not on the lift, but I have a box of 4" casters that were on the car dollies if you need any.  :icon_smile_big:  I only used 4 of them so far under my Charger.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 08, 2005, 12:10:56 AM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 07, 2005, 05:29:09 PM
Beautiful story...

I did once, you must have missed it, & I can't find it now so you're out of luck. :icon_smile_big:

Well, I do remember seeing some pics of the Cuda with the garage in the background...I guess I'll have to make do with that picture burned into my memory. :-\ ;D

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 08, 2005, 12:10:56 AM
I don't think I agree with "BEER" brand beer being very good, but I'd sample it to be sure. (I know Charger Fan would drink it, even if he didn't like it.)
No I wouldn't, I do have to draw the line somewhere...I'd suck on a wet sock instead. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MyMopar

Charger440 som epeople sure do step in it and I guess you are one of those bastards.

I do what I can to save monoey just to save it.  I did a new roof, including new plywood and replacing 6 rafters. How much do you think a roofing company wanted for that job?  Cost me a little over $1000 plus 3 week-ends with part time help (1 neighbor, good Mopar guy)

Refinished upstairs bathroom, removed window, new 1 piece tub, toilet, new closet, ceiling, floor and vanity, paint too.  Probably spent $430, someone wanted just that much to do the wallpaper, so I remodeled instead.  I did have to pay $700 to have the upstairs hall and stairway wallpapered though.

Redid all the ceiling upstairs as well.  THis was a major PITA, was quoted around $200 a ceiling, which was fair but I doub the quality would have been as nice as the job I did (wife helped).  This was an ongoing 2 month project.  Also   just finished the downstairs ceilings.

So much little stuff too taht I did instead of someone else just saves me money.  Not to mention, I do just about all auto repairs  :icon_smile: ( A/C service goes to garage).

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

MoparUSAF

Nice garage! How many cars does it fit?

andy74

how much beer does your garage hold?i may take the few hour trip!

derailed

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 08, 2005, 10:53:44 AM
Quote from: drailed on September 08, 2005, 09:06:03 AM

No, not on the lift, but I have a box of 4" casters that were on the car dollies if you need any.   :icon_smile_big:   I only used 4 of them so far under my Charger.

Thanks for the offer, if i dont find any reasonable around here i might take you up on that, I was going to check out Grossmans bargain outlet and see if they have any good ones.

Old Moparz

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 08, 2005, 01:55:30 PM

Well, I do remember seeing some pics of the Cuda with the garage in the background...I guess I'll have to make do with that picture burned into my memory. :-\ ;D

That might be it, but I promise to take more so I don't have to see you complain. Like maybe this weekend when I drag another new toy home.   :D

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on September 08, 2005, 01:55:30 PM
No I wouldn't, I do have to draw the line somewhere...I'd suck on a wet sock instead. :icon_smile_tongue:

I can't think of his name, but there was a comedian who did a 30 minute sketch on "Beer" which was funny. (HBO I think) He told beer drinking stories, like the one where he & his friends were at a bar, drunk, & out of money. One of them dared the other to wipe the wet, dirty, beer soaked table with the bar rag, squeeze it into a glass & drink it.   :o   He did, & said he doesn't remember anything ever tasting that bad before.   :smilielol:

Quote from: MyMopar on September 08, 2005, 02:22:44 PM
Charger440 som epeople sure do step in it and I guess you are one of those bastards.
Redid all the ceiling upstairs as well. THis was a major PITA, was quoted around $200 a ceiling, which was fair but I doub the quality would have been as nice as the job I did (wife helped). This was an ongoing 2 month project. Also just finished the downstairs ceilings.

That's a good point, poor quality will send me over the edge. I'd rather do it myself than bitch & moan to a contractor or repair person. I don't have a problem with spending money as much as I do with settling for mediocre work, or worse. Nothing like doing it twice.

Quote from: MoparUSAF on September 08, 2005, 04:11:50 PM
Nice garage! How many cars does it fit?

I built it for 3 cars with a work area, but have squeezed 4 in for the winter. I put in a lift for parking & have a second one I didn't install yet. Once that's done it'll be a 5 car garage. Now that my daughter is back in school I'll probably start assembling it one weekend coming up. BTW, I saved $175 installing it myself,   :icon_smile_big:   but that was mostly so I know how it works so I can troubleshoot it if I ever have a problem.

Quote from: andy74 on September 08, 2005, 04:48:34 PM
how much beer does your garage hold?i may take the few hour trip!

I don't know, it's 810 sq. ft on the 1st floor & a little less upstairs. I'll have to measure the ceilings, then get the dimensions off the beer, do some math & get back to you. Would that be cans or bottles?   :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry