News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Global Warming believers, I have a question for ya'...

Started by AKcharger, March 12, 2007, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

What is the explanation for the end of the last (of several) ice ages?  I mean if the planet has warmed in the past as part of a natural cycle why are so many so convinced it's not a natural cycle this time and HAS to be man-made?

Personally I do think there is a warming trend, the retreating glaciers up in Alaska can give some support to that, I'm just unconvinced that humans are to blame. I think every few years people need to have a man-made cataclysmic event to call their own and make themselves feel good about trying to fix . I've lived through a few of these and they just seem to loose appeal and fade away:

- Late 60's Massive death due to over population...now, even poor people in the world are getting fat
- Early '70's "The Energy Crisis" by some estimates we were to have run out of oil 7 years ago...Well???? we haven't
- Late '70 a "New Ice Age" Yup, a consensus of scientists said we were in for another Ice age due to "Global Cooling"
- "No Nukes" of the 80's popularized by several 80's movies about evil nuclear power...ironically, now people are saying nuclear power is a way to COMBAT global warming  :o
- The Ozone layer, remember there was the 50 mile hole in the ozone layer, we were all going to die of UV rays blaa blaa blaa, changed hair spray propellants ect...I guess the hole got fixed?

AK

TruckDriver

I agree with you Bill. I believe we are having some warming, But I believe it is because of changes within the planet itself. Stuff no one has any control over. I mean, planetary climate changes have happened in the past. So, who says it can't happen now again?
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger-Bodie

people who believe in global warming should have been here in iowa this winter.... im with you guys i think its a crock!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Brock Samson

yeah manit's them hindews over in indiana, if those towelheads would just eat more cows they wouldn't fart so much. Violia problem solved.  :yesnod: hoo agrees!?.  :laugh:

Big Lebowski

I love this subject...15,000 years ago, the Arctic ice cap was a mile high and it came all the way down to where Chicago is now. I think it's safe to say that..."WEEEE didn't melt it ALLLL."

2nd...The "mini ice-age" occured between 1440-1850 AD. The worlds temps fell 2-7 degrees below ave. So the Earth warmed itself back up....naturally... right up to the year 1850, where us evil humans made it go up by another 1 degree.

Total BS.  :yesnod:  BTW... Most of that 1 degree increase happened "BEFORE" 1940. (meaning "BEFORE" we all had gas guzzling Dodge Chargers.)
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

pettyfan43

Just remember, Simple logic does not work on the proponents of Global Warming. To the ALGores of the world we are now and will always be THE SOLE CAUSE! he Earth could have never had NATURAL temperature fluctuations! History be damned! :eyes:

PocketThunder

Its not just planet earth that heating up...  there was some global warming around uranus last night after i had that big bowl of chilli!   :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

RallyeMike

QuoteLate 60's Massive death due to over population...now, even poor people in the world are getting fat
- Early '70's "The Energy Crisis" by some estimates we were to have run out of oil 7 years ago...Well? we haven't
- Late '70 a "New Ice Age" Yup, a consensus of scientists said we were in for another Ice age due to "Global Cooling"
- "No Nukes" of the 80's popularized by several 80's movies about evil nuclear power...ironically, now people are saying nuclear power is a way to COMBAT global warming 
- The Ozone layer, remember there was the 50 mile hole in the ozone layer, we were all going to die of UV rays blaa blaa blaa, changed hair spray propellants ect...I guess the hole got fixed?

60's: Science increased food production rates on a massive scale which included world-wide programs to conserve farmland and manage crops better.

70's: The estimates of the amount of oil were based on current known fields and known extraction capabilities at the time. New techniques to find and refine oil from places we could not previously reach have been developed.

80's: Nuke power is still a problem with long-term disposal of waste. Its continuing to pile up and will cost billions and billions to dispose of until science catches up with an easier way to deal with it. Remember Chernobyl? It's still a toxic wasteland and will be for 1000+ years. 

90's: The ozone hole in the Antarctic got way bigger than 50miles before it started shrinking soon after world-wide restrictions on the chemicals thought to have caused it went into effect. I suppose it's possible that it could be coincidence.

Today: Based on current and projected CO content in the atmosphere, average temperature it will likely continue to rise faster than ever before if a similar pattern to the natural trends over the last 100,000 years follows through. Too soon to tell. Not smart to ignore. If it is happening, science can probably fix this too.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

The global warming scarefest is just a tool to further an agenda. The same tactic has been used thousands of times over thousands of years.

TK73

Quote from: AKcharger on March 12, 2007, 06:18:23 PM
What is the explanation for the end of the last (of several) ice ages?  I mean if the planet has warmed in the past as part of a natural cycle why are so many so convinced it's not a natural cycle this time and HAS to be man-made?

"Global Warming believers, I have a question for ya'..."

Global warming isn't a "belief" structure... say, like a belief in a supreme being.  Global warming is a fact. 

To discuss your inquiry; warming and cooling of the atmosphere is cyclical, no argument there.  Part of the current theory behind the SCIENCE of global warming is that human produced pollutants are increasing the rate of warming beyond what the normal cycle would produce, possibly to the point of creating such an imbalance that the normal cycle will not be able to correct itself.

My guess would be that there are plenty of research papers one can locate on this amazing informaiton tool we call the Internet, give Google a try  :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

TruckDriver

If we are causing global warming, then my thought on that is, look at all the construction of roads, parking lots, buildings and stuff we are putting up. In a sense, we are paving a asphalt and concrete crust over the earth. And that alone will make it hotter because both asphalt and concrete hold heat. And on top of that, look at all the trees we are cutting down to put up more buildings and roads. Trees are the natural purification system of the earth. Hence dirtier air to breath/more pollutants in the air, less shade to help keep the ground cool. Why is that important? With more and more over population of the planet, eventually, we will suffocate ourselves anyway by not controlling the population because we will be breathing out more carbon dioxide then the trees can make fresh air. I can't remember the exact number, but I believe the planet has over 2,000,000 more people on it now then it can support. Eventually, we will basically make ourselves extinct due to overpopulation. Eventually, we will run out of places to put everyone. Most of us will never see that day, but our kids and grandkids will I believe. :rotz:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Mean 318

AKcharger

Quote from: Mean 318 on March 13, 2007, 01:23:32 AM
Why do we keep doing this stuff to each other?  :horse:

Actually mean318 this is the 1st global warming thread....

- I'm with ya' on Goggle search for papers TK, but there's just as much Scientific research saying it's a massive Hoax...just comes down to which you choose to believe I suspect.

- Thanks for your feedback RalleyMike! 

Rubberduck

Two days ago I read in a German newspaper that the surface temperature on the planet Mars is rising.
The icy polar caps are getting smaller too on Mars. The reason for that is that the sun has more activity now.

So why are people blaming themselves if this all would take place anyway with or without the humans?

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

Old Moparz

I believe there is global warming, but I also believe that the actual truth to all the info about it lies somewhere in between what is being told to everyone. (Meaning it's a serious issue, & also not a serious issue.) I also think that it's part of a natural process taking place with the planet itself, & that man isn't contributing to it as much as some people believe. I've heard & read more conflicting info than I'd care to, & actually don't know who to believe. I do think the biggest problem that we won't be able to resolve, is other countries & the environmental policies, or maybe the lack of policies, that they have. A place like China is likely to be polluting way more than the USA is & there isn't much that can be forced on them to correct it.

My experience in warming has been that my freakin' beer doesn't stay as cold for as long. That might even be due to the changes in the way glass bottles have been manufactured though. :shruggy:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TruckDriver

Quote from: Rubberduck on March 13, 2007, 09:51:06 AM
Two days ago I read in a German newspaper that the surface temperature on the planet Mars is rising.
The icy polar caps are getting smaller too on Mars. The reason for that is that the sun has more activity now.

I saw that same thing on tv here. :yesnod:
PETE

Charger_Fan

Global warming is just this decade's bumpersticker fear to scare the sheep into submission. Next decade it will be something else, you watch.
The earth goes through cycles all the time...some cycles are big long ones, some are short. This one's a long one. In the early 70's, scientists were completely concerned that we were in a global COOLING dilema & were sure that we were entering another ice age...oh no! :errr:  Freaks. :rotz:
Guess what, things warmed back up again...suspiciously similar to a CYCLE of the earths own free will...hmph, who woulda thunk? :ahum:

In the larger sense of things, we humans are just a zit on the great butt of life & the earth is gonna do what it damn well pleases. We're just along for the ride. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on March 13, 2007, 12:17:24 PM
Global warming is just this decade's bumpersticker fear to scare the sheep into submission. Next decade it will be something else, you watch.
The earth goes through cycles all the time...some cycles are big long ones, some are short. This one's a long one. In the early 70's, scientists were completely concerned that we were in a global COOLING dilema & were sure that we were entering another ice age...oh no! :errr:  Freaks. :rotz:
Guess what, things warmed back up again...suspiciously similar to a CYCLE of the earths own free will...hmph, who woulda thunk? :ahum:

In the larger sense of things, we humans are just a zit on the great butt of life & the earth is gonna do what it damn well pleases. We're just along for the ride. :icon_smile_tongue:

:smilielol: :smilielol:  This guy is hillarious:

Changes in gravity are also on the list."
We need a national program to halt gravitational decline.

The corporations are using up the whole world supply; by the year 2050, poor people will have to be tied to trees and such to keep them from floating up into the poisonous atmosphere.

"Gravity's For Everybody; not just Dead White Males."

Halt the injustice.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mean 318

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on March 13, 2007, 12:17:24 PM

:iagree:

Recharger

Quote from: Rubberduck on March 13, 2007, 09:51:06 AM

So why are people blaming themselves if this all would take place anyway with or without the humans?

Mario

I'm sure the militant tree huggers will blame that one on the Mars rover. 

Khyron

blah, I'm for the warming, it's too damn cold out. I'll be concerned when I see a penguin swim by my house here in NY.

BTW: I agree, when Earth is sick of us, it will wipe us out like a bad rash. The planet has been here for a long time, I think it's fairly self centered to think we have such an impact on it.

It the words of George Carlin, The only reason we're here is because Earth couldn't figure out how to make Plastic.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

68chrgrwife

ok so i watched that Al Gore "movie".  it was more about him than global warming in my opinion.  My neighbor is one of those Global warning is gonna kill us all by 2050 people.  I have to agree that something is going down, but I have another theory for that...pm me if you REALLY want to know.  But the whole thing with ya'll who are talking about the snow and cold...they say that there will be overheating in some areas and that others will have over cooling  due to the "global warming".  I don't understand taht one, but whatever. 

I agree that this who global warming thing is a bit of a scam....I think it Al Gore's way to get back in the presidential race and try and win.  I mean what other platform would he have to stand on?  This way he can single handedly save the earth in his term in office...all of a sudden we are saved!!!!!   

My neighbor says it has to be true and serious because other countries are all in on trying to make the earth better due to the investigations coming out about global warming...i guess she is not as smart as she thinks, huh?  I can go on the tv and bring some bogus graphs and say look, we are going to all die if we don't all start smoking cigarettes right now....just becasue a hand full of people believe this crap and try and make others believe it to, doesn't make it fact.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

MichaelRW

If you take the earth's age and compress it into 24 hours, mankind has been on this planet for 10 seconds. Think about that. It is hugely egotistical to think that any activities of man is going to have much affect on the earth no less global warming. The earth will go on quite nicely long after man is gone.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........