News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Box Help

Started by RDR-838, February 17, 2007, 01:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDR-838

I've just installed a newly rebuilt power steering box in my '69. It's taken all the excess slop out of the steering, but it still has very poor recovery from turns in both directions. One of the guys at the shop says a new front end alignment is in order with a caster alignment done, as well. Does anyone here think this will solve the problem, or is my steering box bad?
Thanks.

bill440rt

Yes, that sounds like an alignment problem to me.
Did the car have that condition BEFORE the steering box swap? If you didn't touch the tie rods or make any kind of adjustments with the steering sleeves, etc, then you have your answer.
Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

is_it_EVER_done?

Positive caster is what causes the "return to center" effect on steering. Have the car aligned with as much positive caster as they can dial in, unfortunately the stock suspension usually doesn't allow much since positive caster also affects how "hard/heavy/difficult" manual steering is, so Chrysler designed the cars for manual as power was an option.

If you aren't happy with it after an alignment, you can use the Moog problem solver upper control arm bushings to allow a healthy increase in positive caster for very little investment in time and money.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Who did the box rebuilding?  it is possible that the sector shaft adjustment is too tight as well.

Did this happen before the new box install?   If not I doubt its the alignment but a problem with the box.....consult your rebuilder.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RDR-838

So I finally get the second replacement gearbox installed and the front end aligned. Still no return to center. >:( The alignment guy says it's the gear box. My mechanic says that some gear boxes are just like that. This is the third box I've had on the car (including the one that was first on there), and still no return to center after a turn. When I make a turn in either direction, and let go of the steering wheel, the wheel stays right there. No recovery at all. Any and all suggestion are always appreciated. Thanks.