News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not Again....

Started by TruckDriver, March 11, 2007, 09:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpm68

Really guys...they're going to do it whatever we think or say - so what? I got mine and they aint gettin it. Lotsa trashed Chargers out there, and these ones are truly bailing wire, duct tape and bondo...hell HLPAG prolly wouldn't even want 'em...well perhaps they would...but enough already.

Shakey

So many people worried about what other people do with their money and their cars.   :rotz:

If it really bothers you that much, do something about it - and that doesn't include coming here to piss and moan day in and day out.   :yesnod:

Go get a job and start buying all of these cars you all seem so concerned about and either restore them or stash them.   :thumbs:

It seems no one can win with some of you folks.  If they choose to restore it, they don't do it properly and choose a colour you don't like.

If they part it out, the prices for the parts are out of your budget and the seller is an a$$hole and a dreamer.

God forbid we bring e-bay into the mix.

I'm all for discussion, but let's try and keep it somewhat intelligent, please!

Ghoste

We can keep it intelligent, but we still don't have to like it.  :icon_smile_wink:

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Ghoste on March 13, 2007, 08:24:33 AM
We can keep it intelligent, but we still don't have to like it.  :icon_smile_wink:

Amen brother! Besides...who wasn't being intelligent?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

gojo64

Quote from: Shakey on March 13, 2007, 05:27:43 AM
So many people worried about what other people do with their money and their cars.   :rotz:

If it really bothers you that much, do something about it - and that doesn't include coming here to piss and moan day in and day out.   :yesnod:

Go get a job and start buying all of these cars you all seem so concerned about and either restore them or stash them.   :thumbs:

It seems no one can win with some of you folks.  If they choose to restore it, they don't do it properly and choose a colour you don't like.

If they part it out, the prices for the parts are out of your budget and the seller is an a$$hole and a dreamer.

God forbid we bring e-bay into the mix.

I'm all for discussion, but let's try and keep it somewhat intelligent, please!

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!  Like you said if they don't like it then do something about it besides bitchin & moanin. I'm not sticking up for the cars being jumped, but from what I know they are junk to start with (bondo from front to back) & are beyond a reasonable budget to repair. Also keep in mind when that show started in 79 & ended in the mid 80's, 68-69 chargers (10/11+ years old) weren't worth a whole lot & were very easy to find.
"Well,... you gonna pull them pistols or... whistle Dixie?" Josey Wales
1969 Charger 383/727/3:55

41husk

I am doing something by not paying to see something I don't agree with :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ghoste

So if we aren't in a position to buy up every single old car in the world to prevent this from happening, we should just turn our backs and ignore it?  I can't stop radical fundamentalists from sending suicide murderers into the side of skyscrapers or troop convoys, should I ignore that?  I'm not a scientist so should I pretend there is no hope of ever curing cancer and just whistle in the dark?  What about a pothole in the street, ignore it or bitch and moan until the city repairs it?
My examples may be extreme, but I find it offensive that people find great entertainment in destroying things that can't be replaced.  Are old  cars as important as a cure for cancer?  Of course not but I have a right to express my opinion in the world where I do exist.  I like old cars, period.  I was quite excited to see the restoration that Jim Shine and the crew did to Lee1, a car whose biggest claim to fame is getting jumped.  If they take that car out to re-enact the first GL jump, I'll be just as quick to criticize them.

gojo64

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: gojo64 on March 13, 2007, 09:50:35 AM
[
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!  Like you said if they don't like it then do something about it besides bitchin & moanin. I'm not sticking up for the cars being jumped, but from what I know they are junk to start with (bondo from front to back) & are beyond a reasonable budget to repair. Also keep in mind when that show started in 79 & ended in the mid 80's, 68-69 chargers (10/11+ years old) weren't worth a whole lot & were very easy to find.

I think we've heard this "bondo all over" statement enough already. Now on to the mid 80's comment when the cars were 10/11+ years old. Ummm. What thread are you replying to my friend? It's 2007 and we're discussing 06 and 07 Dukefest. I think the rest of us handled the task (?) of setting our clocks ahead but you messed up royally. Not only did you go the wrong way ......you also overshot it BIG TIME! Don't forget to watch Sanford & Son tonight at 8pm on NBC. It's the one when Fred calls Lamont a big dummy. Classic.  ;)
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

TripleBlackGator

What were we all thinking? You could never, ever restore a Charger in as bad a condition as the ones they use for jumping at Dukefest right?

TruckDriver

Quote from: TripleBlackGator on March 13, 2007, 11:27:01 AM
What were we all thinking? You could never, ever restore a Charger in as bad a condition as the ones they use for jumping at Dukefest right?
:iagree:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

gojo64

And someone out there is going to dish out the same kind of cash to restore a regular charger in the same condition as the documented Lee 1 car. Ok. Yeah, I'm a big dummy alright.

LL1 1967 Coronet

The ONLY good thing  ...supply and demand.  It makes ALL Chargers more valuable.  Otherwise I hate to see them destroy Chargers - - I even hated it when I was a 12 year old kid glued to the TV!

Ghoste

:shruggy:  I'm not in it for investment purposes.

JR

A simple question. Why not use landing ramps if their hell bent on jumping them? As long as it goes right they could use the same car year after year instead of destroying more every time.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

tan top

Quote from: JR on March 13, 2007, 04:58:21 PM
A simple question. Why not use landing ramps if their hell bent on jumping them? As long as it goes right they could use the same car year after year instead of destroying more every time.

:iagree:  awesome idea  :yesnod: , but it is probably too easy for them to use the same charger year in year out :flame:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

I dunno.  Maybe they like the carnage?

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: JR on March 13, 2007, 04:58:21 PM

:iagree:
I made a similar comment earlier in this thread. "Low level jumps that allow ONE car to be used over and over". All it would take (I would like to think) is one serious disabling injury or death and these jumps would come to a screeching halt. There is a human being in the car ya know!

charger_mike75

For a car that was full of bondo, sure looks like the sheet metal on the front WAS good. I don't see any bondo broke off.
:flame:

Mike DC

There's a good reason that everyone who actually sees these cars up-close in person comes aways saying they're very raggedy.
Fresh bondo/primer seems to be more flexible than well-cured stuff.  Most of the current GL stunt-cars get slammed together just a few weeks (or even days) before they're jumped.

Look at an old NASCAR from the 1960s/70s . . . those cars were absolutely CAKED with bondo.  They practically had no bodylines left below the door handle level.  And yet when they got crashed, the sheetmetal's finish still usually didn't flake apart very much:

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: gojo64 on March 13, 2007, 01:20:04 PM

And someone out there is going to dish out the same kind of cash to restore a regular charger in the same condition as the documented Lee 1 car. OK. Yeah, I'm a big dummy alright.

Admitting it is the first step on the road to recovery. No I don't think everyone will spend what the Lee 1 car owners did. The thing is they wouldn't have to. Lee 1 was so far gone even a basket case car would look at it and say "What are ya? nuts!" The cars they are destroying are potential project cars, a father & son project possibly. One that could bring families closer together and bring many great memories. I'm really beginning to wonder if the Dukes fans are really Charger fans or is it just the car that happened to be chosen for the show. I am a Charger fan and cringe when I see this out and out waste. As much as I am not very fond of General Lee clones I would much rather see a clone in a show field or on the road or in a persons driveway than to see it sail through the air and come crashing down. Let's protect an endangered species. Long live the Dodge Charger! I will now get off my soap box. Thank you.

charger_mike75

Mike DC

We keep saying it:  Most of the diehard DOH fans would have preferred the GL jumping stop after the first one or two live events.  We're just a few hundred people, but "Dukesfest" is a major corporate deal at this point.  The 2006 event's attendance was about 120,000 people.  (Stop and think for a second about the size of that number.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expecting the diehard DOH fan community to boycott Dukesfest over the GL jump . .  it's sorta like expecting the Mopar community to boycott the "Mopar Nationals" because of the astronomical prices on cars & parts hurting the little guys.  Many people may agree on the problem, and the boycott is a noble idea in theory, but it's not very realistic.  There are still too many other reasons that people gather at these large shows.

I mean, seriously, the "Dukesfest" crowd is watching the sacrificial Dodge Charger moving under its own power for about 30 seconds out of the entire weekend
We're not all driving our precious Chargers halfway across the country every year just for that 30 seconds.  We're attending the "DF" shows to see our distant friends, and see all the cars, and meet the cast/crew of the TV show . . .

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 16, 2007, 10:27:22 PM

We keep saying it:  Most of the diehard DOH fans would have preferred the GL jumping stop after the first one or two live events.  We're just a few hundred people, but "Dukesfest" is a major corporate deal at this point.  The 2006 event's attendance was about 120,000 people.  (Stop and think for a second about the size of that number.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expecting the diehard DOH fan community to boycott Dukesfest over the GL jump . .  it's sorta like expecting the Mopar community to boycott the "Mopar Nationals" because of the astronomical prices on cars & parts hurting the little guys.  Many people may agree on the problem, and the boycott is a noble idea in theory, but it's not very realistic.  There are still too many other reasons that people gather at these large shows.

I mean, seriously, the "Dukesfest" crowd is watching the sacrificial Dodge Charger moving under its own power for about 30 seconds out of the entire weekend
We're not all driving our precious Chargers halfway across the country every year just for that 30 seconds.  We're attending the "DF" shows to see our distant friends, and see all the cars, and meet the cast/crew of the TV show . . .

Points taken Mike. You do bring up some valid ones. I am thinking about the number of attendees you quoted. That is a staggering number to be sure. I would think a group that big would have a very loud voice. I wasn't even talking about a boycott. Who was? As far as a "major corporate deal", who is the corporation you are talking about? What percentage of that 120,000 do you think are against the destruction? I am asking because I have no idea. The whole affair is foreign to me.

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut. After all...they are not coming for me.
 Martin Niemöller

Ghoste

I would think that a very very small percentage would be against it.  In fact, I'd bet a huge number are there specifically FOR it.