News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Choke well cover big block?

Started by cudaken, August 23, 2005, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudaken

Lets see, it has been 20 years or better sense I ran a stock intake. Well blower engine will be broke in with a stock intake and carb then the Huffer will be installed.

Like I said been a long time, I know one of the go fast tips is block off the heat ports on the head's to keep intake cooler.

OK, waite, dim light went on, with out the choke well there will be a hell of a exhaust leak. I just rembered the butter fly vale on the right side, headers don't have that.

This was orginal going to be a post will missing a choke well cause a exhast leak, well I now rember it will. I did try local auto parts stores and there was no listing's. Both stock intakes I have are missing the well's?

Before all of you tell me to try year one, harden's or other places that sell them. I only need it for around 500 miles to break in the 440. Lets see, I have no job as of now, gas is $2.59 here for the cheap stuff so that might take a while. Will cost $6.00 to break in the cam. :flame:

Anyone have one I can have or borrow? Woked on her today, only thing left to start up is in stall the plug wires (bought them off E-bay a year ago and for got what I bought) boy I was happy when I saw they where Blue Max custom cut for a big block Mopar. Beside the wires, in stall the battry tray and bolt on the stock intake and pre oil and she is a live again.

Have no job as of now, but still the fire, Mopar fire.

Cuda Ken
I am back

hemigeno

Ken, I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly.

On my stock 440 intake, the chokewell is completely closed off by the casting from the exhaust crossover passage between the cylinder heads.  I do not see how there will be an exhaust leak if you do not have a choke cover in place.  Most intake manifold gaskets will have a knock-out where the crossover passage is, so you can either remove the gasket material to allow the crossover to function, or leave the gasket intact to block it off.

???

Incidentally, I have a used/rusty one you can have, but it's somewhat of a drive out here to get it.  As I offered earlier, bring your sandpaper and rattle can so you can work on the wing...

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree:   There will be no exh leak.  Should be a solid casting
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

charge70

70-71 factory intake manifolds are open the heat crossover passage,thats why they use the choke well cup.Ken,I'll have to look and see if I have one you can borrow,but won't be able to do so till the weekend.Good luck with your new mill.

cudaken

OK, another dimer light went on. There is no ports on the exhaust runner's on the heads to the heat cross over in the intake. Then what the heck is the Heater Riser Vale for on the exhaust on the passager side. When closed, block's the exhaust right? Where does the right side exhaust go?

This is a dumb ass statment, but I hate stock tonight. It has just been so long I have for gotton about stock stuff.

Someone just shoot me, Sue would have more money that way.

Confused Cuda Ken
I am back

cudaken

My intake casting number is 6614014 and I can see throuht the well as well. Heads are 346's with some work. Dam that sucker was heavy to drag over to the coumputer. I wish I had keept the Edelbrock intake but tooling around in a 69 Charger in Beligum now.

Cuda Ken, hope to have it fired up this weekend.
I am back

Runner

just use a felpro 1215  (i believe thats the number) intake gasket.  it will block the heat cross over at the heads.   are you using stock iron heads?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

It's not an issue...run any gasket you want. Heat is merely transferred form the head to the intake manifold via the crossover openings. There is no pressurized air going through these passages if that is your concern. The heat transfer is conductive....one metal surface to another.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cudaken

Ok, then it is settel, there will no exhaust leak. But like I said, what does a heat riser on the right exhaust manfolid do? Well we are know what they do, they go bad. Maybe that was what I rembered, the heat riser causing the leak.

Cuda Ken
I am back

cudaken

Just thought I let you all know, with out the choke stove there will be a leak! And a big one! Today, I took 20" of wire and ran down the small hole in in the head where the cross over is. Feed in all 20" and could hear it in the header's!

From what I can gather early 383 440 intakes choke well where closed in, mine is open. Will starte a new post to see if I can find out what year intake I have.

:flame: Cuda Ken, wasted 4 hour's on this mess today.
I am back

Badbob

The heat riser valve closes off the right manifold. The valve will blow open when the engine is revved to allow full flow. It will also fully open when the bimetalic spring heats up. When the heat riser valve is closed the exhaust from the right bank flows through the passage in the intake manifold heats the choke stat and goes out the left manifold.

cudaken

Bad Bob, I have headers and there is no heat riser butter fly. Does anyone know for sure if a Felpo 1215 intake valley pan will seal of the Choke Well? My intake is casting number 3614014 and well is open. I can stick my finger through it.

Boy I am up the creek and a cast iron intake for a paddel.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Badbob

That is the one with the passages blocked, yes it will seal off the choke and fix your leak. Some guys use that pan to keep the intake cool for drag racing and the resto guys use it to keep the paint from burning off the crossover but then their stock choke takes forever to heat up.

Chryco Psycho

yes thew 1215 gasket will block the X over port , I only use 1 paper gasket / side between the pan & the head

cudaken

Neil, glad to see you on line again. I have never used a paper gasket with a tin valley pan. DFS68 used a Felpro 1214 and did not use the paper gaskets. Do I have to use them with this valley pan?

I was hoping to use them on the blower intake. I was wondering where all the paper gaskets came from, must have came from DFS68 Charger's intake valley pan.

Cuda Ken, well what is left of him that is. Down from 350 to 278, that will knock off a little on the ET. ;D
I am back

beenaround

cuda the paper gaskets were origenally released by chrysler to seal the intake manifolds on 440 six packs.apparently they had some machining issues that caused oil to be sucked in under the valley pan gasket.i have the old direct connection "yellow book" that explains this in detail. if you want i'll email you the related section.

Kryp2nitE

are you looking for an intake?

sorry if the whole thread went in one ear and out another

ive got an eddy torker 440 u could use if u still need one, i need it back tho  ;)

cudaken

Kryp2nitE, thank's for the offer on the Troker but I got the 1215 gaskets so problem is fixed.

Beenaround, I was wondering what they where for. I will use them on the blower intake. I have never had a oil use problem or vaume leak useing just the valley pan. I nomaly don't use gasket sealer either.

Cuda Ken
I am back