News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroke a 383 Mgnum or 400 engine?

Started by Challenger_7, February 26, 2007, 05:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

I've deleted my prior post, it was dis-respectful to "iS It EvEr Done".
I apologize.

Let's just leave it at this.

You're absolutely correct, "iS It eVeR DoNe", Lots I don't know.

This is a MOPAR Board, Mopar specific, at least I think it is.

"How far does the Piston travel, in the Bore of a BB Mopar, from T.D.C. to 90 degrees crank rotation, compared to the second 90 degrees to B.D.C."

If your answer is " It travels the same distance in the top half, as the bottom half ", on a "mopar" engine,

then use any rod length you desire on your Mopar.

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

Nuff said.

Think "offset main". Ever wonder why #6 cyl. on a BB Mopar, is always "late", after you degree # 1 Cylinder ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Wow, this has become a fascinating thread.  :yesnod: :popcrn:

firefighter3931

Bob, thanks for the post and real world experiences you've shared.  :2thumbs: My engine building adventures have centered around milder street/strip builds in the 500-550hp range using factory blocks, heads, rods, cranks etc......but a lot of the same principles you illustrated in these larger displacement/power combinations still apply, inmo :

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 12, 2007, 12:03:17 PM

I've done 540 Mopars with 572-13 heads(2.25" valve), using Maxx blocks and made 900 H.P., then did a 540 Mopar mega-block using 440-1 heads(2.19 valve), with ALOT LESS FLOW, but added 7.150" rods, and saw 894 H.P. with a Flat-tappet camshaft.

I lke this comparison between a small head and a large head. Basicly the increased rod ratio helped to carry the tq peak higher and allowed the engine to make excellent power with a head that would be considered "smallish" for the displacement. The same applies with a BB oem head which is really too small for a 440ci displacement....it's the reality that we as Mopar guys have to live with. A BB stock head is only 10% bigger than a SB stock head yet it is expected to feed an extra 100 cubic inches (340 vs 440). That's a hell of a disadvantage.....but the long rod and 1.80 rod ratio helps to make it all work. That has been my experience.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger_7

71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto 318
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Other non Dodge Muscle

Ghoste

Challenger340, any way you could repost your experience in a respectful manner?  I read the original and I like to see different ideas thrown out like that.