News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rewiring dash and need help with some things

Started by MadScientist, March 08, 2007, 02:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hi all,

A) I took pics when I removed my dash but unfortunately my camera is crap.  Does anyone have images of how the small relays fit under the dash?  More specifically:
1) Concealed headlight relay/horn relay
2) key in buzzer
3) Emergency flasher

B) I also need to know how the reverse warning lamp is wired up. Cant find it in my FSM

C) Any idea what the bullet tipped (single round female connector) w/ 2 yellow wires near the fuse box are for?

Thanks

Ghoste

I think the yellow wired connector is for your map light.   I assume you have a 70 because you mention a headlight relay.  In 69, and I think it's the same for 70, the reverse warning lamp under the dash is wired to the "Z" terminal on the bulkhead connector.   It runs there on it's own and not as a part of the dash harness.

MadScientist

Thanks for the info!  I do have a 70.  I agree with the yellow wire conclusion.  I totally forgot about the reverse light and the bulkhead wiring but now that you mention it I remember removing it!  It also has the short ground that went to the dash frame.

What about how the headlight relay us mounted in the frame?  Its on a bracket, but like I said, my pictures are helping me at all!:-)

Thanks again!

MS

Ghoste

I don't know for certain.  I know it goes over on the far left side of your dash on the bottom edge somewhere.  Let me look through the manual and see if there is a clear pic.  You could also check the 70 Charger Registry, I think they have a good tech section there.  Or PM Chris G or Dodge Don, both of those guys know the 70 models really well.

Ghoste

This was the best I could come up with.  Somebody will be able to give you better help than this.

MadScientist

Yeah I see that fig in the FSM and thats what I thought, but I keep second guessing myself based on my blurry pics.  It just seems like the wires are going to hang onto my left knee if I put them there.  Oh well, I'll mount it up and see and then get on my back and re-adjust if I have to!

Thanks again!

MS

Ghoste

MadScientist

Well.....everything mounted up OK (Ill have pics in the am). I seem to have accounted for all plugs on the harness except for one.  It is a "T" shaped blade connector with 2 yellow and 2 red going into it. In the FSM it says it connects to "diode" ???? (on the right side of the page) What the heck is that and what does it do?  I dont have anything left over from when I did the teardown.....   ???

MS

Ghoste

It's in the same circuit as the key in buzzer, does it connect to the steering column anywhere?

MadScientist

I'll double check, but the only thing coming off the column are the 2 harness plugs (about 6 connectors each)

Ghoste

The key in wiring is part of one of those connectors so if they are okay, it must be hooked up.  Where is Plum?  He has a 70 and he's an electrical guru.

71_deputy

it's for the key in the switch buzzer. diode with the connector part.

if the key is in the ing.switch and you open the door- it buzzes.
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

MadScientist

Well I installed the newly rewired dash this weekend and everything seemed to work fine from the get-go.  The only issue I had before was that when the headlights are on, the key -in buzzer buzzes on and off randomly.  It is still doing it now as well.  Must be something with the switch itself. Bummer since I just had it redone....

thanks Ghoste, for the input and will keep you posted on the progress.  I will include pics as soon as I get to em.

MS

Ghoste

Yeah, it sounds like an intermittent short there somewhere.  You'll get it.