News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger rear drum brakes

Started by dkn1997, March 11, 2007, 10:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

68 non R/T charger.  What size rear drums do I have?  and does anyone sell a complete kit that has shoes, clips, springs, etc...?  if so, anyone have a part number.  I looked at rock auto and the like, but sometimes they list several different ones and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.
RECHRGED

whitehatspecial

They are 10". I got everything I needed for mine, except wheel cylinders, at NAPA. The wheel cylinders or rebuild kits are available at Autozone.

http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=3&SubCatId=1
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

dkn1997

thanks whitehat, I am ok with wheel cylinders, though.  I replaced them a while back, first things to blow out when I bought the car years ago. 

actually, NAPA is one of the better stores around here, old crusty car guys work there. 
RECHRGED

Silver R/T

have you looked into upgrading to disc brakes instead of spending money on drums?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

K9COP

Silver RT, please tell me more about discs. Is there a 'rob another car' conversion?
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

GTX

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 11, 2007, 10:08:11 AM
68 non R/T charger.  What size rear drums do I have?  and does anyone sell a complete kit that has shoes, clips, springs, etc...?  if so, anyone have a part number.  I looked at rock auto and the like, but sometimes they list several different ones and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

I have a PDF file that I made of a file that I found on another site that lists the part numbers. Let me know if you ( or anyone  else) wants it and I'll forward it to you.

-Dave

dkn1997

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 13, 2007, 11:43:48 PM
have you looked into upgrading to disc brakes instead of spending money on drums?

I just don't see the need.  I am not autocrossing the car or anyting like that. plus any kit that I could do (ie: no welding) will cost at least a few hundred...maybe 4-600 even for the cheapies?  that's what i figure anyway. 

i am thinking i can rehab my drums with new shoes and hardware for under 150.00.  Now...if either of the drums turns out to be shot, then the whole budget is blown out of the water and I would consider rear disc.
RECHRGED

K9COP

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

GTX

GTX

Hey guys, I forgot to mention in my original post that I need an email address to send the attachment to. Drop me a line with your email addy and I'll get it out.

-Dave

whitehatspecial

Quote from: CaymanSublime on March 13, 2007, 11:56:33 PM
Silver RT, please tell me more about discs. Is there a 'rob another car' conversion?

Yes. Check this link out.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html
Cars owned:

mikepmcs

I thought that one was for just front brakes though, right?  Did I miss something on that read.   I actually remember that from a while ago but I went with the Wilwood setup cause I got it from a member here for a decent price(darkside I think, haven't seen him in a while??)

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

whitehatspecial

Oh yeah, you're right. Article link is for fronts only, sorry for confusing things.
Cars owned:

is_it_EVER_done?

MIKEPMCS: Since you are going to buy spring/hardware kits for your rears, I suggest buying them for a 1970 model year (make sure you order them for the same size brakes).

I suggest this because in mid year 69, the brake adjuster system (as well as some of the springs) were improved/changed, which stayed the same till the end of rear drums. The improvement was good, so using the earlier stuff is not worthwhile. Not that it won't work, but why not improve it?

The rear drum size is cast into the edge of the drum (it's a maximum size, but will be within a 10th of an inch of the "advertised" size). Just because you don't have an RT does not mean you don't have 11X2.5 inch brakes, though you most likely have 10X2.5's. Checking first will eliminate getting the wrong brake kits.

Silver R/T

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 14, 2007, 01:35:29 PM

I just don't see the need. I am not autocrossing the car or anyting like that. plus any kit that I could do (ie: no welding) will cost at least a few hundred...maybe 4-600 even for the cheapies? that's what i figure anyway.

i am thinking i can rehab my drums with new shoes and hardware for under 150.00. Now...if either of the drums turns out to be shot, then the whole budget is blown out of the water and I would consider rear disc.

I drive my cars somewhat agressively. I can't say so about Charger, but even so when I was driving it back from mountain the other year I needed to be constantly on the brakes as it was pretty steep mountain and my rear brakes were smoking very bad, that was a bit scary for me and I dont want to think what would've happened if brakes went out. After that I just can't trust drums neigther on the front or the back of the vehicle to stop a 3700+ lb beast, my two cents worth.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

8WHEELER

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on March 18, 2007, 09:21:08 PM
MIKEPMCS: Since you are going to buy spring/hardware kits for your rears, I suggest buying them for a 1970 model year (make sure you order them for the same size brakes).

I suggest this because in mid year 69, the brake adjuster system (as well as some of the springs) were improved/changed, which stayed the same till the end of rear drums. The improvement was good, so using the earlier stuff is not worthwhile. Not that it won't work, but why not improve it?

The rear drum size is cast into the edge of the drum (it's a maximum size, but will be within a 10th of an inch of the "advertised" size). Just because you don't have an RT does not mean you don't have 11X2.5 inch brakes, though you most likely have 10X2.5's. Checking first will eliminate getting the wrong brake kits.

Also on the 6pk cars, they came with 11x3 in the rear same size as the front. Now I have only seen this
on the 69 1/2 bee's, but there are others out there.

Also it is very common if your car has front disc brakes stock 68-70, you got 10in rear drums. They figured
back then, if you had front disc brakes you did not need 11in brakes in the rear. I have a 68 RT rear end
right now, out of a 68 440 RT charger, that came with front disc brakes, and 10in rear drums.

A friend of mine has a Hemi 4sp Superbird, it has the original dana 60, and disc brakes up front, and
the stock 10in rear drums.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

8WHEELER

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 18, 2007, 10:11:58 PM
Quote from: dkn1997 on March 14, 2007, 01:35:29 PM

I just don't see the need. I am not autocrossing the car or anyting like that. plus any kit that I could do (ie: no welding) will cost at least a few hundred...maybe 4-600 even for the cheapies? that's what i figure anyway.

i am thinking i can rehab my drums with new shoes and hardware for under 150.00. Now...if either of the drums turns out to be shot, then the whole budget is blown out of the water and I would consider rear disc.

I drive my cars somewhat agressively. I can't say so about Charger, but even so when I was driving it back from mountain the other year I needed to be constantly on the brakes as it was pretty steep mountain and my rear brakes were smoking very bad, that was a bit scary for me and I dont want to think what would've happened if brakes went out. After that I just can't trust drums neigther on the front or the back of the vehicle to stop a 3700+ lb beast, my two cents worth.

''Silver'', If your rear drums are smoking, than your front brakes are shot, or way out of adjustment.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.