News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brad Delp, lead singer for '70s rock band Boston, dead at 55

Started by TruckDriver, March 09, 2007, 10:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

:'( RIP Brad. You will be missed. "More Than A Feeling" is one of my all time favorite songs.

http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=d8905acd-30a5-499e-9ecc-0aa254c9e311&k=71367

Canadian Press
Published: Friday, March 09, 2007 Article tools

ATKINSON, N.H. (AP) - Brad Delp, the lead singer for Boston, a huge rock sensation in the 1970s, was found dead Friday in his home, police said.

He was 55. Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. EST and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and there was no indication of foul play. Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

Delp sang vocals on Boston's 1976 hits "More than a Feeling" and "Longtime." He also sang on Boston's most recent album, "Corporate America," released in 2002.

He joined the band in the early 1970s after meeting Tom Scholz, an MIT student interested in experimental methods of recording music, the group's official website said. The band enjoyed its greatest success and influence during its first decade.

The band's last appearance was in November 2006 at Boston's Symphony Hall.

On Friday night, the website was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

A call to the Swampscott, Mass., home of Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau was not immediately returned Friday night.

-

On the Net:

www.bandboston.com

© The Canadian Press 2007
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on March 09, 2007, 10:14:51 PM
:'( RIP Brad. You will be missed.

http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=d8905acd-30a5-499e-9ecc-0aa254c9e311&k=71367

Canadian Press
Published: Friday, March 09, 2007 Article tools

ATKINSON, N.H. (AP) - Brad Delp, the lead singer for Boston, a huge rock sensation in the 1970s, was found dead Friday in his home, police said.

He was 55. Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. EST and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and there was no indication of foul play. Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

Delp sang vocals on Boston's 1976 hits "More than a Feeling" and "Longtime." He also sang on Boston's most recent album, "Corporate America," released in 2002.

He joined the band in the early 1970s after meeting Tom Scholz, an MIT student interested in experimental methods of recording music, the group's official website said. The band enjoyed its greatest success and influence during its first decade.

The band's last appearance was in November 2006 at Boston's Symphony Hall.

On Friday night, the website was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

A call to the Swampscott, Mass., home of Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau was not immediately returned Friday night.

-

On the Net:

www.bandboston.com

© The Canadian Press 2007

:'(
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Afflyer

:icon_smile_sad:  What a tremendous loss.  He will be sorely missed by all of us children of the seventies.  He made "Boston" what it always will be known for- pure, classic guitar rock, "album rock", totally free of synthesizers.  :icon_smile_sad:

May he rock on in the heavenly skies above!

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Charger1973

nh_mopar_fan

He lived about 15 miles from me.

I managed to catch the last Boston tour a 3-4 years ago. Glad I did.

It was so weird. I was driving home and heard a commercial for a show his band was playing next week and then I switched to another station and they were announcing his death.

69bronzeT5

I just looked at their site and all it said was We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll.

Manfred318

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

BMOTOXSTAR

Wow,
The great gig in the sky. Boston's music was great for a Saturday night cruise in the summer time, windows down, radio cranked,etc..... :rotz:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Afflyer

Boston is good ANYTIME!

Did you know Brad Delp and the rest of the guys from Boston were strict vegetarians?  They promoted it on the back of the album "Don't Look Back". 

They thoroughly hated the use of synths in the music industry back in the seventies, and rallied against it to the very end.

Brad and the rest of Boston were real trend setters.  In a way, I'm glad they didn't put out any more albums than they did- what few they did, are all great- even the later ones.  No one can ever say that fame went to their heads.

I sure will miss them, as I think this will be the last we see of Boston ever putting out another disc. 

RIP Brad, RIP  :angel:

Bradley

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

PocketThunder

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw them 3 years ago at rock-fest.com and they were supposed to be there this year too!  Crap..

RIP :angel:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

my73charger

71_deputy

best of the best- Boston!!!!

my fav back in the late seventies- when the winter went on tooooo long- put on Boston and spring is just around the corner!!! for summer cruzin"
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

TeeWJay426

Definite shock, and a real loss for the music world. Boston had planned to go out on tour again this year, but Scholz said those plans have now been cancelled. He had a voice like no other, as unique as the sound of the band itself. RIP, Brad. :engel016:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

nh_mopar_fan

I was wondering if they'd tour with Fran Cosmo handling the lead by himself.

Wouldn't be the same though.

19Charger68

Man, that is just not right.  He will be missed!  Boston - one of the best groups of all time!
Bruce

NHCharger

Coroner's office just confirmed it was a suicide. Apparently he left two notes, and had sealed himself in the bathroom with two grilles, died from CO poisoning.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Neal_J

Wow, that's extraordinary.

Funny, I figured it was contract hit issued by either "Kansas" or "Foreigner"...

Neal

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: NHCharger on March 14, 2007, 05:35:45 PM
Coroner's office just confirmed it was a suicide. Apparently he left two notes, and had sealed himself in the bathroom with two grilles, died from CO poisoning.

That is f-ing bizarre. I would have never figured suicide by propane.  :rotz:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

deputycrawford

I believe that Brad Delp grew up here in Toledo, Ohio and graduated from Ottawa Hills High School just five minutes drive from where I grew up and still llive now. That is sad news. I grew up with the 80's metal but still have always thought Boston was a great band and always turned up anything I heard from them on the radio. He will be missed.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

69bronzeT5

He'll be up there with Randy Rhoads, Hendrix, Kurt Cobain :angel:

69bronzeT5

I just realized something. They can make the ultimate band upthere in heaven!

Brad Delp- vocals
Randy Rhoads- guitar
Jimi Hendrix- guitar and vocals
Cliff Burton- bass
John Bonhom- drums

RuNvS69

You think that's messed up? I live 10 minutes away from him. And before I started my current job at an investment corporation, I was working at The Home Depot. 2 days before he committed suicide he came in and I helped him for over a half an hour... with what you ask??

The same products he used to kill himself and also his backup plan. I didn't think he was going to use them for what he did.

Something I'll never forget.

-Tim
1970 Charger 500 - 440 (Fast5)
1970 Charger - 318 (SOLD)
1969 Charger SE - 440 (SOLD)
1970 Charger 500 - 383 (SOLD)

Lowprofile

Wow!

That's like "Twilight Zone" Creepy! :eek2:

Boston has always been my favorite band........ I remember seeing them in concert back in 78'  :2thumbs:

Man, I'm gettihg old.   :o :'( :pity:

RIP Brad :'(  :angel:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Afflyer

I just noticed that this thread was bumped back up again.  I had no idea that Brad Delp committed suicide!  :o

Now THAT truely is a bonafide tragedy.  And to think that someone here saw him on his last few days and figured out what he was buying those supplies for, after the fact.  That must be painful to even contemplate, thinking you unknowingly/unwittingly gave this famous star a hand in his own demise!  My heart goes out to you man.

I love Boston's music, as it brings back so very many good memories of my childhood and adolescense.

If only I could go back in time again.

Bradley

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

nh_mopar_fan

There's a Brad Delp tribute show scheduled for this weekend. Cheap Trick and all the original remaining members of Boston are some of the bands scheduled to perform.

http://thephoenix.com/onthedownload/PermaLink.aspx?guid=42163784-250e-4054-8d1e-8c1691fea719

RuNvS69

Believe me guys... it sure was and still is a kick in the balls....  he even had me out in the parking lot measuring his exhaust tips for tubing to fit!! He wanted to "vent the exhaust out of his garage for safety reasons"... when in reality.. well.. you already know.

-Tim
1970 Charger 500 - 440 (Fast5)
1970 Charger - 318 (SOLD)
1969 Charger SE - 440 (SOLD)
1970 Charger 500 - 383 (SOLD)