News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

yet another cam question...

Started by christianlarsen, March 08, 2007, 03:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christianlarsen

i would some opinions on the following combination:

440 stroked to 511 with ohiocrank kit bored 0.030

the cam i get suggested is:

Mopar Performance Purple Camshaft and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 284/ 284, Lift .484/ .484

Beside the above mentioned suggestion, the car has:
stock heads (for now)
3" hooker comp. headers
850cfm carb
No power brakes.
std 727 tranny, automatic

I want my ride to accelerate fast and have a ok idle (dont wanna pump it while waiting for green or something like that! ) and i also want longevity for my engine/tranny

I didn't buy the cam yet and I see a lot of articles in here about cam choises but im not able to judge them due to lack of experience and I hope you can tell me something about the choice of cam or if I should go for some other ? ???

Ghoste

It's not that it's a bad grind but it's an old one.  You can find a lot better choices out there that take advantage of better ramp profiles and such.  Engle is a name that comes up on here a lot.  It's something of a Charger.com secret weapon.  :icon_smile_wink:

Rolling_Thunder

Well...     I'm in a similar ballpark...    I have used that MP cam and was very displeased with it to say the least....      Engle or Comp my young friend...      there is another thread on here about a 512 stroker...    i suggest the mentioned Engle cam there.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Ghoste

I have it in my car too and it isn't really the right cam for my 383.  It isn't awful, but there are better ones for sure.

Mfr426

I have that exact cam in my 383 and it provides poor performance. I am VERY displeased. I should have listened to the gurus here on the forum and used something that is more current. What a dissapointment... :rotz:

On the bright side it did encourage me to do this stroker 512... :icon_smile_big: Incidentally, I ordered an Engle cam just yesterday for the stroker.

Trust the folks here and explore other options for this cam.

Ghoste

It works "okay" at higher rpm but it doesn't make a whole bunch of torque.  The 383 isn't a torque monster to start with so it just compounds the problem.  I don't hate it but I sure don't love it.

firefighter3931

With a stock head you're limited to .500 lift.....unless you have the guides trimmed down for added retainer clearance.  :yesnod:

The 484 would be very mellow in a 500ci engine....the large displacement eats up duration. What is radical in a 440 is very mild in a 512. The big engines are difficult to over cam.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs