News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 Camshaft choise. Help me pick a winner!

Started by High Impact, March 07, 2007, 08:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Impact

I have a 69 Superbee with a rebuilt 383 with a MP 284/484-108  cam in it now and it basically has no vacumn and kinda suck's for street driving.  It just seem's really radical.  Here are the spec's on the motor:

11.1 comp
steel crank,stock rods
balanced assembly
Stock 906 heads with a port & polish
fel-pro head gasket
Eddy RPM intake
Eddy 750 carb
Crane Gold rockers
hooker 1 3/4 coated header's
MP electronic igniton system

Rebuilt 727, PTC 2800rpm converter
3.54 geared Dana

The car REALLY move's out when your foot is to the floor but normal driving......stop light to stoplight.....well,   it's just not what I expected.   I would like something with better vacumn to work the power-brakes and maybe have better low end.    What should I buy?????????????????????

aifilaw

going with a "smaller" cam will definitely give you back your vacuum, but will rob you of your new found power. There are other options for the vacuum, such as a vacuum canister. As for getting more low-end power, that will probably require a cam swap. Another way of keeping your power but making it more street-able is to get your gears closer together so it makes the most of it's power (aka. put 4's in the rear"
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

mikepmcs

There are a ton of threads already covering cam selection and some of them deal with your Mopar 484.  I have the same one and the same problem that I will be fixing soon with  k56 Engle as Ron (firefighter) suggests.  I did however fix it for the time being by installing an external vac pump but that runs all the time and makes my brakes hard as a rock after a while of driving(not safe, i probably have a bad booster)

I also have a 383. Your combination is very similar to mine.  Here are just a few but just put a search up top for "Cam" in the search feature above and you will find much much more.  I'm sure Ron will be more than happy to chime in on here if he sees it though.  He and quite a few others are very helpful and extremely versed on engine's and combinations. 

I'm guessing the concensus will be the Engle K56 but I don't pretend to know anything.
Also do some poking around and read the threads in this section too.  I bet you'll find your answer.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23822.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24000.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18446.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15650.30.html

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!! :icon_smile_big: :cheers: :wave:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

High Impact

High Impact

Quote from: High Impact on March 07, 2007, 01:35:55 PM
Thanks!   I'll check it out.

I guess I was hopeing for more people to say what there running in there street/strip 383.

firefighter3931

Are you sure the engine has 11:1 compression ? If so, how did you determine the actual compression ratio ?

Fwiw, the K56 is a descent street/strip cam in a 383ci combination with limited stall speed and gearing....both of which you have.  ;)

Keeping the cam timing shorter will make more torque and bottom end power. The Engle cam has less seat to seat timing so it will also idle better and be easier to tune.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

High Impact

Basically I have TRW 12.5 to 1 pistons and am running a set of 906 heads so that drop's it about a point and a half.  Then I've got a fel pro had gasket,   so that's why I think Im in that area.