News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 Wheeler... '68 hood latch Question (or anyone)... Difference between '68 '69?

Started by Charger Aficionado, February 11, 2007, 05:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Does this look like a '68 hood latch?  What is the DIFFERENCE?  I wish I would have looked when I had a few around...

If I bolt my '69 latch on a '68 hood will it work?

resq302

From what I have been told, the 68 and 69 latchs are not interchangeable because the location was slightly moved.  You might want to PM BlueSS454 as I think he went through the same problem.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

400/6/PAC

The 68 charger hood was opened by a small, unpainted, cast-metal flip handle.
It was located just under the hood's cross-member.
a small, black plastic handle was placed on the end of the flip lever.
This flip handle engaged the unpainted latch assembly.
The striker was attached to the hood's underside and painted the same color as the hood.
A safety catch was also used on the charger and is unique to the model.
other b-body catches wont interchange due to the charger's unique pull latch handle.
the handle used an unpainted rod that connected to the catch assembly, which was bolted to the underside of the hood.
The unit used a rupper covered pull handle and attached to a bracket to secure it.
In 1969 the charger hood release latch was restyled and it WILL NOT INTERCHANGE with the 1968.
It now used a link system to operate the hood release.
This link was unpainted and had a metal apperance,
This latch setup was used solely on the charger and other b-body component's wont interchange.
Due to the latch restyle in 69, the striker was also restyled.
The striker was used only on the b-body's.
The striker was still painted the same color as the hood.
The safety catch was also restyled in 69, although it used the same release lever as it did in 68.
The hood pop-up spring was unchanged from 68 to 69.
I have part #s if you need them.
Hope this helps you. ;)

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: davids on February 11, 2007, 08:20:36 AM
The 68 charger hood was opened by a small, unpainted, cast-metal flip handle.
It was located just under the hood's cross-member.
a small, black plastic handle was placed on the end of the flip lever.
This flip handle engaged the unpainted latch assembly.
The striker was attached to the hood's underside and painted the same color as the hood.
A safety catch was also used on the charger and is unique to the model.
other b-body catches wont interchange due to the charger's unique pull latch handle.
the handle used an unpainted rod that connected to the catch assembly, which was bolted to the underside of the hood.
The unit used a rupper covered pull handle and attached to a bracket to secure it.
In 1969 the charger hood release latch was restyled and it WILL NOT INTERCHANGE with the 1968.
It now used a link system to operate the hood release.
This link was unpainted and had a metal apperance,
This latch setup was used solely on the charger and other b-body component's wont interchange.
Due to the latch restyle in 69, the striker was also restyled.
The striker was used only on the b-body's.
The striker was still painted the same color as the hood.
The safety catch was also restyled in 69, although it used the same release lever as it did in 68.
The hood pop-up spring was unchanged from 68 to 69.
I have part #s if you need them.
Hope this helps you. ;)

DAMN.  Thanks!  I do remember the "paddle"-style deal...  So this is a '69.  Perfect.

Thanks again.

400/6/PAC

8WHEELER

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on February 11, 2007, 05:56:47 AM
Does this look like a '68 hood latch?  What is the DIFFERENCE?  I wish I would have looked when I had a few around...

If I bolt my '69 latch on a '68 hood will it work?

That is a 68  :yesnod:  I am not sure what he is referring to, I know the 70 has a paddle type safety release.

The main difference between the 68 and 69 was an added rod because they moved the
initial hood release lever, because of the new 69 I piece, it could not fit in the same location
as the 68. I am pretty sure the 68 and 69 hood safety latch as pictured is the same.

Here is a 68, original to my car, and being the same as all other 68's I have seen.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

K9COP

Dan, I've seen your red car elsewhere, and love the stance. What rims/tyres/suspension do you use?

Paul
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

8WHEELER

Hi Paul, are you in Washington or Canada area?

I lowered the rear end with 1-1/2in with lowering blocks I made. You can buy them
in a store now, they are for lifting trucks, but put them on the other side of the leaf
springs and it lowers the vehicle.
I lowered the front end by turning the tortion bar bolts down to the lever I liked 2in lower.
lower than stock, you will need to do another front end alignment after doing this.
I have 15x8 Magnums on the rear, with 275 60x15.
I have 15x7 Magnums on the front, with 245 60x15.

Hope this helps Dan

K9COP

Cheers buddy, looks sweet. I meant I'd seen pictures elsewhere, not the car itself. How's the ride quality?

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

8WHEELER

With the rear sway bar, the polyurethane bushings, good gas shocks, and larger than
stock front torsion bars, with fast ratio steering   :icon_smile_big:  it handles sweet   :yesnod: :yesnod:
I wish I could drive it every day, but not at 8 mpg  ;D

Dan

K9COP

Interesting, i'm not sure where you are, but I've come from $16 gallon of gas, so I'm happy now! :yesnod:

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

8WHEELER

I live in WA State, it also rains 364 days a year here like right now   :popcrn:
My bigger problem is, I need to run Premium and 3-4 gallons of race fuel to drive it, 12.5 to 1 compression.

Dan