News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf Springs - install kits?

Started by AJ1966, March 05, 2007, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ1966

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting some new leafs out back in my '66, and I'm not sure what is the best way to go about getting all the hardware.  I see some reasonably priced springs from Jim's, but I don't even know what hardware I need...the list is very large and I don't know if I basically need to order everything they offer or not.  I see brackets, studs, rubber, bolts, nuts, bushings etc etc.  All I thought I needed were shackles and bushings.  It seems confusing.  :icon_smile_question:

http://jimsautoparts.com/suspension.htm

I hear ESPO makes good springs as well...I see some parts on their sites, but it doesn't look like they have all the hardware. 

What do I really need in total to do the job?  Can anyone guide me to a list, or maybe where they shopped for their leafs?

Thank you!

hutch

I just picked up a rear bushing/shackel kit for my 73 from Napa for 45 bucks.  looks no different than any of the other top end brands and lasts just as long I think.   the last car I rebuilt almost broke my bank with all the high end parts.  Then I walked into a Napa one day and my jaw dropped from the price lists.  Its so much more afforadable.

I think some things are worth the extra bucks, but as far as little stuff, its best to save your money and just get over the counter parts.

In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Ghoste

I got mine from Eaton Detroit and I got new bushings there as well.  As far as shackles and such, it really depends on what condition yours are in.  If they are in good shape, there is no reason to not reuse them.

AJ1966

Let's assume I have all stock hardware, or close to it.  This car for the most part has been untouched for at least 30 yrs.   :P

I figure other than the springs, I'll get new shackles....

They list clamps and rubber for them as well.  And bushings.  I assume I should get them?  I'll have to check my local parts store if they have some of the stuff.  Thanks for the input.

Ghoste

Yes, get new bushings.  You'll have to make a judgment call on the hangers and shackles yourself but that should put you back on the road.