News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone make a product to soften up the door panel vinyl?

Started by K9COP, March 07, 2007, 09:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K9COP

I've got to repair my inner door panels, front and rear. The fibre board on the rear is shot, and the green vinyl on the panels seems to have shrunk/gone hard slightly. What can I do to soften up the vinyl so I can re-attach it on the new fibre board panels I've cut?

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

Recharger

As I understand it, once that vinyl starts to harden, it's done for.  There's really no way to rejuvenate the elasticity that I've ever heard of.  The good news is, those door panels don't need to be very flexible, so they can get somewhat brittle and still not crack under normal use.  If you're just trying to get them flexible enough to attach to your new boards, you might try leaving them out in the sun for a little bit, should heat them up and make them easier to work with. 

If they're really rough, you'd be better off replacing them than trying to repair.  Legendary makes some good reproduction parts that are available through most resellers, you'd probably be ahead of the game in the end to just buy some of those and save the time.   :Twocents:

K9COP

Thank you. Sun is something I'm not short of here.. average temp over 88 degrees!

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

71ChallengeHer

Vinyl is a petroleum product. And it needs petroleum to re moisturise.An old guy, who owned a repair shop swore by Vaseline. Very light coat. When I took my seats into him , he said keep using that Armour, I need the business. You will see the vinyl suck it in. Reapply as need. If the panels are that dry it might take a couple coats, lightly. If your scared to use Vaseline , I myself use Avon Skin -So- Soft. Same idea but you can put it in a spray bottle. But spray it on a soft rag. Then wipe it on. if that doesn't help, buy new panels. And the sunlight will help the panels absorb the Vaseline or Skin-So-Soft.

bill440rt

If you're just trying to repair wrinkles, they can easily be removed by using a heat gun. Work slowly & evenly. Pull & stretch the vinyl back. Then, just re-glue it with a good contact adhesive or vinyl top adhesive.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

K9COP

Thanks you all. I have to replace the fibre board on the back, so I'll take all your advice as I refit the vinyl, once I've razor bladed it off the old board.

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)