News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which engine block?

Started by chargerguy111, March 07, 2007, 09:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerguy111

Can anyone tell me if there is any differences in the 440 blocks from 1968-last one made?I know there is a high performance engine and a milder version like in the Newports.I also know the compression dropped in the latter years making lower horsepower but my question is"What is the difference in the actual block itself?In other words, could I take a later block and get the same power out of it as an earlier one?Thanks.

firefighter3931

They're all basicly the same. Later blocks are fine for performance builds.  :yesnod:

Some good info here :

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WINGMAN

440s FROM 72 UP HAVE CAST CRANKS, BUT THE 73 TO 78 BLOCKS ARE A THINNER CYLINDER WALL AND AND CAN ONLY BE TAKEN 0.30 OVER SAFELY. TRY TO STAY WITH A 66 TO 71 BLOCKS  ALSO BLOCKS ARE THE SAME HP OR NOT THE GUTS MAKE THE DIFFERENTS. :icon_smile_cool:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

firefighter3931

Quote from: WINGMAN on March 07, 2007, 10:40:05 PM
440s FROM 72 UP HAVE CAST CRANKS, BUT THE 73 TO 78 BLOCKS ARE A THINNER CYLINDER WALL AND AND CAN ONLY BE TAKEN 0.30 OVER SAFELY. TRY TO STAY WITH A 66 TO 71 BLOCKS  ALSO BLOCKS ARE THE SAME HP OR NOT THE GUTS MAKE THE DIFFERENTS. :icon_smile_cool:

Wingman, you are incorrect on several points. Cast cranks started sometime in 73....all 72 440's will be a forged crank unit....i have also seen some steel crank 73's as well. The thinwall late block myth has been disproven.  :P Read the link i posted above and see for yourself.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

IIRC, that Mopar Action article they quote also tackled the "high nickel content" story as well and found the nickel content to be all over the map.  In other words, there wasn't a particular year that recieved a different alloy, it varied each time they ran some castings.

Nacho-RT74

as far I know still steel cranks on 4 speeds 73
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Challenger340

I think pretty much every block myth has been disproven in regards to yearly thickness & nickel claims.

Just doesn't seem to be any "magic" out there, they all work.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Chatt69chgr

And due to core shift, they all have to be sonic checked to determine how far they can be bored.

Ghoste

Agreed, and that's a bigger thing to be concerned about than a lot of the other "special mojo" we look for in blocks.