News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use Mopaint products recently?

Started by hemi68charger, March 07, 2007, 03:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Anyone use Mopaint products recently?  Looking for an aerosol application I can do myself without having to spend more on spray guns and such..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Recharger

I just used some recently as I was redoing my blue interior and had pretty good luck with it.  What all are you planning to paint?  Keep in mind the rattle cans aren't cheap ($25/can I think) and depending on how much stuff you have to repaint, investing in an HVLP gun and buying by the quart might end up being cheaper.  :Twocents:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Recharger on March 07, 2007, 04:40:48 PM
I just used some recently as I was redoing my blue interior and had pretty good luck with it.  What all are you planning to paint?  Keep in mind the rattle cans aren't cheap ($25/can I think) and depending on how much stuff you have to repaint, investing in an HVLP gun and buying by the quart might end up being cheaper.  :Twocents:

But that requires a compressor, no?         More expense............  ???
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Recharger

Yeah, I guess it's pretty pricey whichever route you go.  :-\  The spray gun route would require a compressor, for some reason I guess I assumed you already had one.  If you're just doing some interior pieces, rattle cans would definitely be the more economical route to go.  I used the rattle cans for my interior but was surprised by how many cans I went through to dye black pieces to blue.   What pieces are you doing?  You changing colors or just freshening up some worn parts?

hemi68charger

Just got off the phone with Rob from Mopaint USA.... Very cool gent....... nice conversation...... I'm getting a quart of the  White for my '68 and the 'saddle tan' for my '69......

SEM doesn't have anything on those colors yet..... Talked to them as well on the phone this afternoon...........

Troy
Troy

Recharger

Yeah, I've had several conversations with Rob, trying to narrow down what shades of blue were in my car.  Definitely a good guy to deal with. :yesnod:

So does this mean you're planning to buy a compressor & gun?  One thing you might want to try first is a Preval sprayer.  http://www.prevalspraygun.com/   Basically it's a mini compressed-air sprayer that you screw on the top of a jar  -- instant aerosol paint can.  I've had mixed results with them (depending on the paint) but I bet the dye would be thin enough to spray through decently.  They don't have as much power as a full compressor set-up, so the paint might be a bit less aerosolized and tend to splatter.  I'd definitely suggest testing it on some old parts first. 

Charger-Bodie

mopaint is a valuable asset to or hobby but 1 thing id like to point out is that you will need more of there paint than you would normally think because its laquer for the most part and doesnt cover the greatest which is pretty normal fpr laquer
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

41husk

Rob is very helpful and always willing to answer any prep or application questions.  A little pricey but well worth it in my opinion.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1hot68 on March 07, 2007, 07:56:17 PM
mopaint is a valuable asset to or hobby but 1 thing id like to point out is that you will need more of there paint than you would normally think because its laquer for the most part and doesnt cover the greatest which is pretty normal fpr laquer

Based on our conversation, once thinned out, the supply is almost doubled... Should be plenty for the amount I'm going to do. On the '68, it'll be the upper door bolsters to match the new Legendary interior and some for the '69 so when I'm around to it, I can "freshen" up the bolsters, lower dash pads and kick panels......... I'm going to see if I can buy a small compressor and air gun.... I really would like to do this myself, I like to feeling of accomplishment. I have plenty of upper door bolsters that I can "test" on.......

Troy
Troy

694spdRT

They were very helpful when I was doing my red interior as well. I bet I was on the phone with him for a good 45 minutes. I think I bought 5 or six cans for what I needed to do. He and I spent the most time on the dash pad colors and he threw in an extra "test" can of another color just so there was no mistake in the shade used.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

charger01

69chargerboy

I recently used MoPaints too. I was a bit pricey, but defiantly worth it. I bought the Suede Black textured finish for my 69 Charger dash. It came out perfect! I would defiantly recommend Mopaints!    Their phone number is 1-732-846-1044.  :2thumbs: :cheers:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

71 Bee Man

Quote from: 69chargerboy on April 01, 2008, 02:26:55 PM
I recently used MoPaints too. I was a bit pricey, but defiantly worth it. I bought the Suede Black textured finish for my 69 Charger dash. It came out perfect! I would defiantly recommend Mopaints!    Their phone number is 1-732-846-1044.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Does Mopaints actually have a website ?

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

twodko

Troy,

You don't have to spend a lot of money for a decent HPLV spray rig. Even the small cheapies contain their own turbine. $100 would get you a decent unit........Sears, Harbour Freight, Lowe's, Homey D etc. Good luck.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

E5 Charger

Brock Lee

Preval units were mentioned above. I want to weigh in on them.

They work fine, but they have 2 flaws. First you really need to thin the paint to get a decent spray pattern. The other is you can only paint for about 30 seconds to a minute before they propellant starts trying to freeze the paint as it passes through. So on a large area you will need to have 3 or 4 units ready to go and on hand to get one good coat. You would have to stop using one as the can starts feeling cold and move on to another.

AKcharger

I'd like to add that any good automotive paint shop can match your interior paint as well. I had the local paint shop color match some bright blue and put it in arasol cans for my '72. Color match was perfect and was just as good as the MOPAINT I used for my 2003 '70 resto for about 1/2 the price, it's been on there for 5 years now and still good.

On a side note, when I used mopaint in 2003 it matched PERFECTLY, I was very pleased. Then when I did some touch-ups in 2005 with MOPAINT it was off...a lot. The '05 batch was more brown than burnt orange and  was "flat" where it should have been a semi-gloss. I spoke with the owner (Rob?) who apologized and sent another can...which was the same. I called again and sent some photos to explain the problem, but my repeated e-mails/calls were never answered and just I gave up. I will not use MOPAINTs again, local paint shops are just as good and cheaper

roman1966

MoPaints has had a lot of problems.  I ordered some paint from them and got the wrong color.  Rob was sick for a while.
The last time I ordered paint the dye lot was off....never did get a replacement.  Year One dropped them due to frustration
of dealing with them.  I'm not sure what their status is at this time.

ODZKing

I've tried 2.  One was engine paint and wasn't correct.
The other "pearl white" vinyl paint.  Not even close. 
Chevy "off white" off the shelf was closer ... oh and it wore off in a month.   :nono:

DC_1

Quote from: ODZKing on December 13, 2010, 07:02:12 PM
I've tried 2.  One was engine paint and wasn't correct.
The other "pearl white" vinyl paint.  Not even close. 
Chevy "off white" off the shelf was closer ... oh and it wore off in a month.   :nono:

Have you had some SEM Pearl White mixed up from that formula I sent you? Did that work any better for you?

ODZKing

Quote from: Sydmoe on December 13, 2010, 09:06:59 PM
Have you had some SEM Pearl White mixed up from that formula I sent you? Did that work any better for you?
Not yet, going to do it all at once, probably this summer.

Mike DC

I'm glad Mopaints existed/existed just because it focused some attention on the upholstery color schemes. 10-15 years ago it seemed like the hobby was more focused on the color shades of the suspension arms than on the whole interior looking correct.  Even a lot of high-dollar restorers seemed to just match whatever color they got the Legendary repro seatcovers and then hose down the whole interior that shade.