News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3rd Gen sheet metal question

Started by hotrod98, March 07, 2007, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

I know that the 3rd gen Charger front floor pan is the same as a 70-74 E-body, but what other front end sheet metal is the same? It appears that the core support, inner fenders, lower cowl, hinge pillars and torsion bar crossmember are the same as well. The upper cowl is obviously different as is the rear floor pan. I have a 72 3rd gen shell with rust free floor and front end and I would like to use as much of the sheet metal as possible to repair a 70 Cuda that I bought. Anyone have any experience with using 3rd gen sheet metal on an e-body?
Oh, and the 72 shell is not usable for restoration so don't be upset about the loss of another 3rd gen car. I'm also using some of the 72 parts to build my 71 Charger Daytona.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 07, 2007, 12:32:07 PM
I know that the 3rd gen Charger front floor pan is the same as a 70-74 E-body, but what other front end sheet metal is the same? It appears that the core support, inner fenders, lower cowl, hinge pillars and torsion bar crossmember are the same as well. The upper cowl is obviously different as is the rear floor pan. I have a 72 3rd gen shell with rust free floor and front end and I would like to use as much of the sheet metal as possible to repair a 70 Cuda that I bought. Anyone have any experience with using 3rd gen sheet metal on an e-body?
Oh, and the 72 shell is not usable for restoration so don't be upset about the loss of another 3rd gen car. I'm also using some of the 72 parts to build my 71 Charger Daytona.

The core support,inner fenders,front framerails, k-frame should be the same-not sure about the torsion bar cross member though.

How's the roof on that '72 you're cutting up?  I've got a 72 Charger that's pretty solid, but somebody used the roof for a trampoline :flame:

hotrod98

Actually, the roof is pretty nice. The only rust on the entire car is in the lower quarters. It's basically a shell with doors at this point. The vin plate and data plate were missing when I bought the car. It's the twin to my 71 Charger. I can't believe that after all these years of not owning a 3rd gen car, I now own four of them. I've seen more 3rd gen Chargers for sale around here this last year than I've seen in my entire life.
I would think that it would be a little difficult shipping a roof panel and I think you're 8 or 9 hours from here. I'm on the west side of Arkansas near Oklahoma. I do have a friend that hotshots up that way every once in a while though. He's the guy that I bought the 70 Cuda from.

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Larry, I get down to Arkansas every now and then. The wife's parents live in Mountain Home which is still a good 4 hrs or so from you ?  When you get around to cutting the car up, let me know-maybe we can work something out... 

Charger1973

Ive got a roof I cut from a 73 last summer..

Daytona R/T SE

I don't know wether or not a 73 roof is the same, it might be, but to be safe I'd like to get a roof from a '72 - like Larry has... ;)

Charger1973

No problem,  just an option incase that doesnt work out.  Its the same roof, the only difference is in the c-pillar area, but the roof itself is identical from 71-74. 

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 08, 2007, 01:02:33 AM
  Its the same roof, the only difference is in the c-pillar area, but the roof itself is identical from 71-74. 

Good to know... ;)

Charger1973

A week or so ago there was a '73 for sale in Iowa on ebay.  It was a junkyard car, but it had a factory sunroof.  The BIN was only $375 if I remember right..  If I had the cash I would have picked it up just for the roof.  It may still be on there, but I doubt it.

hotrod98

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 08, 2007, 12:42:14 AM
Larry, I get down to Arkansas every now and then. The wife's parents live in Mountain Home which is still a good 4 hrs or so from you ?  When you get around to cutting the car up, let me know-maybe we can work something out... 

I'll let you know when I disassemble the car. I'll try to get a couple of pics of the roof this weekend. I almost hate to cut this car up, but with no vin or data plate, there's really no other choice.

Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 08, 2007, 11:48:56 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 08, 2007, 12:42:14 AM

I'll let you know when I disassemble the car. I'll try to get a couple of pics of the roof this weekend.

Cool !  Looking forward to the pics...