News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suggestions for vapor barrier?

Started by MadScientist, February 24, 2007, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hi all,

Im getting ready to put in my new door panels and wanted to know what is a good replacement for the vapor barrier that was originally in there?  Also, what is a good adhesive to put it on with?

Thanks

MS

RogerDodger

You could use 4 mil plastic and adhere it with silicone caulk.

mikepmcs

how about some dynomat.  sound deadening plus vapor barrier.  2 birds with one stone.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 25, 2007, 01:57:56 PM
how about some dynomat.  sound deadening plus vapor barrier.  2 birds with one stone.

v/r
Mike

Might be too thick causing the panel not to fit correctly....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

NHCharger

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 25, 2007, 06:05:22 PM
Quote from: mikepmcs on February 25, 2007, 01:57:56 PM

v/r
Mike

Might be too thick causing the panel not to fit correctly....
:iagree:

I just used some 4 mil plastic. The problem I had was the caulking I used didn't work as well as the original stuff, think I used Phenoseal which is an adhesive caulk.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Charger-Bodie

4 mil plastic , spray adhesive and a piece of tape on the bottom just like it was when it was built
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

MadScientist

Cool.  Thanks.  Quick Q: where to get the 4 mil plastic and do you happen to know the 3M number for that is it like XXX88 or 90 or something?

MS

RogerDodger

You can get 4 mil plastic at any hardware store or home center. Home Depot would also have 3M spray adhesive. All in the paint department.

Corellian Corvette

Yes 4 mil plastic I just used weatherstrip adhesive.

If you want to use something close to original, get 3M strip Caulk. That will allow you to remove and re-use.

NMike

i found some 6mil plastic with the adhesive attached to the back already. i was told it was OEM vapour barrier for BMW's.

Neal_J

You can get 6 mil plastic, sold as heavy-duty painting dropcloths, at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. 

Strip caulk, sold by auto body shops and some parts stores will do the job, as will silicon caulk sold by Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Neal

gtx6970

Go to any mattress store and you could probabley get a sheet of 4 mil for free