News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

numbers on my 440 block???

Started by HITMAN 149, March 03, 2007, 02:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

hey guys...
i was at the shop yesterday to drop off some parts for the car, and took some pics of the motor on the stand, after the first coat of flat orange, so of course i took some pics of the numbers all over the damn thing!!! hahaha i was told the motor was a 69' block... the deck pad reads 440 (obviously) but it's hard to see what letter is in front of it?!?!?!  (get glasses alice!!! LOL) so here are the other numbers that i found?!?!? any one have a clue what they mean?!?!?
thanks.......
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

69CoronetRT

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 03, 2007, 02:29:29 PM
hey guys...
i was at the shop yesterday to drop off some parts for the car, and took some pics of the motor on the stand, after the first coat of flat orange, so of course i took some pics of the numbers all over the damn thing!!! hahaha i was told the motor was a 69' block... the deck pad reads 440 (obviously) but it's hard to see what letter is in front of it?!?!?!  (get glasses alice!!! LOL) so here are the other numbers that i found?!?!? any one have a clue what they mean?!?!?
thanks.......
-JOHN

1/29/70 casting probably means it came in a 1970 model car. The letter on the pad is probably an "F". Check the VIN stampings on the passenger side. That should tell you the model year for sure.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

HITMAN 149

hey 69...
i thought i remenber the pad reading "D" or "E" 440?? i can't remember though?!?!?! old age settin in!!!  :rotz:
D -68
E -69
F -70
oh well i'll figure it out!?!?!? i guess.... any way to tell who's car it might belong to?!?!?!?
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

69CoronetRT

It couldn't be an original 68 or 69 car block as it was cast after those model years ended. The earliest it could be is a 70 "F" block althought the slim possibility exists it was used in a 71. Check the VIN on the passneger's side, that will give you the answer to the model year. After that, you'd have to find the car that goes with the VIN. You can narrow it down somewhat by the plant but it's still a long shot to reuinte the block and the car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

HITMAN 149

well i stoped by the shop today to drop off my brakes.. and took anither look at the motor... the deck pad is a lil smothed over, and hard to read ...so i diped my finger in some oilf & patted it on the deck pad to fill up the stamp goves!!! BINGO!! hehehehe
i reads:
F440          V (or what looks more like an upside down "A"???)

4  6            2

so there it is?!?!? what ever it all means!!! hahahaha well "F" is a 70 block.. what the "V" or upside down "A" mean???
4  6 ??? (no clue?!?!?)  and the 2 i would presume is maybe a "HP2" with the "HP" worn down?!?!?!?

any help??? 
thanks...
-JOHN
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

John_Kunkel

The "A" means the engine was built with .020" oversized cylinders, 4 6 is the build date April 6 and the 2 means it was built on the 2nd shift (day shift).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.