News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Have you ever been stopped...

Started by 73chgrSE, March 01, 2007, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

Has a policeman ever stopped you just to talk "car" with you. When I was 15, I was driving my 1st charger before I had a licsence and I got pulled over. I was sweating bullets but the cop just started saying how he had one of these when he was my age. Then asked me to pop the hood, talked alittle more, and then wathced me drive off never even asked to see a licsence. :devil:

Troy

When I was younger (high school) I'd get pulled over fairly regularly in the Challenger and Charger both. I never got a ticket in either and most of the time they just wanted to check out the car(s). I didn't mind too much as I was usually out just messing around with no place to be. I haven't been pulled over in one of my classic cars since then.

I drove the Barracuda over 10,000 miles last year and I don't think a policeman ever looked twice at it. That's hard to believe considering the color.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RT DAVE

I got pulled over once by a cop who said he was stopping me because my car was too loud.  I informed him I just put a new exhaust system on the car three months earlier and he said it was still too loud.  His point of reference was that he had a 383 RR back in the day and that his car was much quieter than mine.  My response was that was the sound of 40 more HP (I had a stock 440 mag at the time) and he didn't care for that much.   I think he just stopped me to see my car as my dad works for the County and he overheard the cop talking about my car to another cop later that day.   The guy gave me a warning AND I had to replace the mufflers.   A#@hole.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Charger1973

I used to get stopped regularly in my old 73 Charger.  But then again I was 18-19 years old at the time and the tires were always spinning.  Got plenty of tickets back in the day and almost lost my license once.  I did get off easy one time by a state trooper though.  He caught me sliding sideways out of a parking lot and then took off speeding up the highway.  I couldnt find my insurance card anywhere either...  We ended up back in his patrol car talking about Chargers, and how he used to have one, for about 1/2 hour and he gave me a warning for my license plate light.  Luckily I outgrew that because I dont think I could afford the insurance if I still drove like that.    :icon_smile_blackeye: ;)

Bones68charger

Yeah, when I was younger about 17-18 (I am 26 now) I drove my 68 as my daily and I had the same cop pull me over just to talk about the car. It used to tick me off because I get really nervous around them anyway.... I think he was ticked because such a young guy had the car he always wanted. I was just in the right place at the right time and paid for the call myself. I live in a town of 1800 people and I think many of my town's citizens thought my folks bought the car for me and kind of resented it. I have had my car vandalized and a couple of occasions. Once having tires thrown on my hood just when I got it painted, and then another time with a punk from my rival high school broke the radio antenna off.

Really ticks a guy off... Now that I am a teacher I am just waiting for one of my students who don't really care for me to do something to it. I know it's going to happen some day.

jasonfromIKILLYA

you bet.  I was showing off one time doing a burnout around a corner and got pulled over.  They wanted to know what was in it because I had it mostly sideways going around the corner.  :D  It was right by a mall and the mall cop stopped to look at the engine too. 
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

mikesbbody

Quote from: RT DAVE on March 01, 2007, 12:03:08 PM
I got pulled over once by a cop who said he was stopping me because my car was too loud.  I informed him I just put a new exhaust system on the car three months earlier and he said it was still too loud.  His point of reference was that he had a 383 RR back in the day and that his car was much quieter than mine.  My response was that was the sound of 40 more HP (I had a stock 440 mag at the time) and he didn't care for that much.   I think he just stopped me to see my car as my dad works for the County and he overheard the cop talking about my car to another cop later that day.   The guy gave me a warning AND I had to replace the mufflers.   A#@hole.   

I had to drive my car back to house twice with open headers one time there were alot of cops about, i even drove right past one he gave me a "look" but i never got pulled over i have driven it briefly with the open headers since then just for laughs, alot of stares but i got away with it  ;D

Ghoste

More than a few times.  I told them once they need a special light that means "just pulling you over to look at your car" because it gave me a heart attack every time I saw the regular lights come on.  They just laughed and told me only someone guilty of a crime would need to feel that way.  :angel:

41husk

I have been stopped a few times in the convertible Challenger just to ask questions about the car without getting a ticket.  When my kids were real young, I was stopped to talk cars and then was given a ticket for not having my daughter in a safety seat.  My wife had taken the seat to work and I was dropping the kids at the sitter.  Cost me $50 and in the 80s on U.S. Navy pay thayt was a killer.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

old man

I was driving my 70 Challenger T/A home from work one night when I noticed a county deputy do a u turn in my rear mirror. As he sped up behind me I went ahead and pulled over to the side. Sure enough he turned on the lights and pulled up behind me. I already had my licence and insurance papers ready for him before he got up to the driver's door. I asked him what was the problem, knowing I wasn't speeding. He asked me where my front plate was. I told him it was in the trunk as I had not found the correct bracket to attach it to the car. He said he understood it must be hard to find parts for this car. Then he wanted to know what motor I had in it and what all I had done to the car. It became pretty clear he just wanted to see the car. I got out and popped the hood and we stood there and talked for around 15 minutes. He never looked at my licence or papers. He told me to get the plate on as soon as I could. We shook hands and he went back to his car. He waited for me to leave so I goosed it and chirped second for him. Later down the road he passed me and waved as he went by. As a Deputy Sheriff now I haven't done this just to look at car. I know how it feels waiting for the officer to come to the door and find out he just wants to see the car. 
70 Challenger T/A, 66 Charger 440, 73 Duster 340,79 Little Red Express

73chgrSE

Oh I almost forgot about this one. My girlfriend and I were on the way home from the grocery store of all places and a cop pulled me over and ticketed me for not wearing the seat belt properly. (ie. only the lap belt, not the shoulder harness.) you know those things were always a pain in the A. Then he started talking about how cool the car was, it was hard for me to take compliments right after getting a citation but watcha gonna do right?

Silver R/T

not really, was pulled for having no headlights on in my 68 though. It was too early for them to be on legally anyways.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

charger490

i lived in syrcuse ny when i bought my 68 charger and i worked nights so i was coming home one morning and 690 was blocked off by troupers cars. i pulled up and asked what was wrong and oh you have a new charger so go on up they are raceing up there by the fair grounds. when i got there cops and guys were raceing. one cop said get up along the cop car and lets see what you got there. my 383 to there 440 cop cars.but i tried three times and that we heard the radio to get out of there because the brass were coming. i could not belive it but it happened. i lost all three times

HITMAN 149

as posted in another thread not to longa ago, about cops & stuff???

i was working a traffic post 1 day for extra $$$$  :icon_smile_big:, and i could see, and hear a  nice lil rumble, a couple cars back... so of course i let everybody else go..but made the guy w/ the  nice blue Buick GS (i know it's not a mopar) w/ a black vinyl or conv (don't recall now???). he had a 455 underneath..sounded nice.. we BS'd for a minute or 2..then i told him he could go if he ripped em up quick..he did a quick launch!! was a nice lookin car..he was from SI NY.
ok..there's my story of sorta pulling someone over to check out their ride... i do it all the time if it's a nice ride.
i get pulled over w/ my bike alot!?!?!? hahahaha usually for speedin..then i'm told...nice bike!!!  :icon_smile_big:

:devil:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Ghoste

charger490, that is a cool story.

NHCharger

There was four of us in my friends 69 Chevelle SS cruising Weirs Beach in the late 70's, I was in the back seat. A cop stopped us at a crosswalk to inform us that we had a headlight out and BS'd about muscle cars for a minute. He told my friend Kim who owned the car that he had to give him a warning for the headlight. When Kim's buddy opened the glove box a nickelbag rolled out of the glovebox into the passenger's lap ::) The story goes downhill from here. :icon_smile_blackeye:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

SeattleCharger

Quote from: Ghoste on March 02, 2007, 06:53:01 AM
More than a few times.  I told them once they need a special light that means "just pulling you over to look at your car" because it gave me a heart attack every time I saw the regular lights come on.  They just laughed and told me only someone guilty of a crime would need to feel that way.  :angel:

:icon_smile_big:

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Nacho-RT74

Yes I have been stopped SEVERAL TIMES too see the car...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger-Bodie

once about a year or so after graduating from hs i was cruzin around town in my gold charger when i pulled into a large parking lot where we would hang out sometimes , when i pulled in i noticed a cop car at the sports shop so i wass well behaved sat there and shot the crap for about a half hour or so , got bored and decided i need to go , when i was leaving some frinds where egging me on to do a burnout so i did , as i was pulling away it dawned on me ,CRAP the cop at the sports shop i then look in my rearview mirror and there he is so i pull over he comes up to the car and says im going to have to site you with improper start , i look right at him and said how can it be an improper start when i wasnt even moving [power braking] , he looked at me a replied would you like wreckless driving? i looked at him a nd said wow that was a pretty bad start wasnt it? he gave me th 33.00 ticket and then wanted to talk about how cool my car was and how did you get it so straght and whatever and i just wanted to go home .......i have many others but thats enuf for now
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger_mike75

About 2 days before I graduated high school my charger was running really bad (it had an old holly carb), I was on my way home from school when i was tryin to get up a hill at a stop sign the car kept wanting to die so i floored it and dumped the clutch to get it goin problem was the tires were makin one heck of a smoke screen and i wasn't movin too fast so i shifted into second. About the time i shifted was when i realized i was doin all this right in front of a cop. well i managed to actually pull into my driveway before the cop caught up and i already had the hood up cussing the carb. he asked to see my license and stuff and went to his car. he came back and asked me what the problem was and i told him, he said well i wasn't gonna pull you over until you hit second so you need to get that fixed then he left. the same day iput a new edelbrock on it.   :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: charger_mike75 on March 04, 2007, 08:37:26 PM
About 2 days before I graduated high school my charger was running really bad (it had an old holly carb), I was on my way home from school when i was tryin to get up a hill at a stop sign the car kept wanting to die so i floored it and dumped the clutch to get it goin problem was the tires were makin one heck of a smoke screen and i wasn't movin too fast so i shifted into second. About the time i shifted was when i realized i was doin all this right in front of a cop. well i managed to actually pull into my driveway before the cop caught up and i already had the hood up cussing the carb. he asked to see my license and stuff and went to his car. he came back and asked me what the problem was and i told him, he said well i wasn't gonna pull you over until you hit second so you need to get that fixed then he left. the same day iput a new edelbrock on it.   :icon_smile_big:

That story reminds me of the time my brother was doing a U-turn in his '68 Firebird. The motor mount broke and the engine torque stretched the throttle cable out and by the time it was all said and done he had done a 360 in the intersection and a cop saw the whole thing. He got a ticket. :yesnod: