News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

upgrade kit drum to disc in front...what to choose ?

Started by christianlarsen, March 04, 2007, 07:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christianlarsen

Can anybody tell me if this is a good upgrade kit, I have a dodge charger 1969 / 440:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SSB%2DA156%2D3&N=700+4294908110+4294908099+4294925082+4294922533+115&autoview=sku

I think its expensive, but a friend of mine tells me it is the best money i can spend on my car :)
If somebody can suggest a cheaper alternative (just as good) I would appreciate the advice ?

/Christian

TNT

Call ssbc direct for best price, 800-448-7222 ext 115 Garret Peters

HITMAN 149

chris....
i just ordered direct from SSBC.... a front disc kit for my 68 r/t!! great price... call Garret ..he'll take care of ya..tell him your a DC.com member.
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

bill440rt

I ordered mine from Garret at SSBC as well. I got the 4-wheel disc conversion. The rears were a little tricky to do, as the printed directions contradict what is depicted in their blown-up diagram. I also had to experiment with the parking brake cable brackets they give you. Otherwise, everything fit up nice. I'll be bolting up the fronts very soon.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparguy01

THE COLONEL

For those of you that got your from SSBC, do they give you everything you need (The COMPLETE kit) to complete the change over to front disc conversion, or is there soemthing else to buy as well? 

Also, if you have power brakes now, do you all suggest I also get a new booster as well, or will the old one still work fine?
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Back N Black

Go to the junkyard and get yourself a set of spindles of a 76 Aspen,and do the conversion.
Its not hard to do, Shakey has really good pics on the site with all the part and a detailed list of what you need to do the conversion.
There's also a guy on e-bay that sells spindle kits for $195.00 which includes spindles,caliper brackets,dust caps,and a bunch of nuts and bolts to put it together. He also includes a list with parts numbers to finish the job, i think the whole deal shouldn't cost anymore than $450.00

BrianShaughnessy

I'm doing the AndyF Viper upgrade.    I've seen it work in person on Rick's Beeper.     

74 A-body drum spindles - moparts.com - $60.
ARengineering  Viper caliper adapters.  Manciniracing.com.  $175.
98 Viper calipers and new pads - ebaymotors.com.  $400.
Braided hoses. Raceshopper.com - SS-RR-VPR $40.
4 - 6101964 Bolts - dealer $32.

11.75" rotors / new bearings, seals, blah blah.  Boneyard / new / whatever...  I'm reusing mine from my previous single piston setup.    New rotors are $60ish new each at napa plus some wheel bearings, etc. 

For people needing a MC - see Rick's add on moparts.com (B-body parts) .   Rebuilt disc master w/ the 2 bolt AR Engineering adapter - $63 + shipping.

Probably a few other parts needed for a conversion but the tricky part is finding affordable Viper calipers.    I'll post when I actually get it done.

Edit:  Corrected the PN of the brake hoses. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

christianlarsen

thnx a ton guys for advice!! This is the best place to look for guidance!

I went out on a limb and talked to garret today, since doing it myself is a little out of my technical league. Sure hope its gonna stop on a dime now :)

by the Brian...Nice rearview  ;)

tan top

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on March 05, 2007, 01:13:58 PM

I'm doing the AndyF Viper upgrade.    I've seen it work in person on Rick's Beeper.     

74 A-body drum spindles - moparts.com - $60.
ARengineering  Viper caliper adapters.  Manciniracing.com.  $175.
98 Viper calipers and new pads - ebaymotors.com.  $400.
Braided hoses. Raceshopper.com - SS-RR-VP $40.
4 - 6101964 Bolts - dealer $32.

11.75" rotors / new bearings, seals, blah blah.  Boneyard / new / whatever...  I'm reusing mine from my previous single piston setup.    New rotors are $60ish new each at napa plus some wheel bearings, etc. 

For people needing a MC - see Rick's add on moparts.com (B-body parts) .   Rebuilt disc master w/ the 2 bolt AR Engineering adapter - $63 + shipping.

Probably a few other parts needed for a conversion but the tricky part is finding affordable Viper calipers.    I'll post when I actually get it done.

sounds like a good conversion  :yesnod:  ........  looking foward to  seeing pictures when finished .... :scope: ...............:popcrn:......................... :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

is_it_EVER_done?

Christianlarsen:  If you already bought the kit, disregard the following, but if you haven't, E-bay has kits that use new "stock" components for around $500 bucks. The kit you listed will not stop any better, but it DOES look good if your wheels show the brakes, and appearance is what you want, go for it.

If good brakes is all you want, the stock based systems are every bit as good, for less than a third the price. Plus replacement parts are readily available and cheap.

Be aware that if you have 14 inch wheels, the 12 inch rotors (stock big units) will not fit, and you will also have to check if the aftermarket units will fit (any brand/size).

Personally, I think the brakes you linked to are insanely expensive. If "bling" is what you want, AndyF has a much better looking (and "working") system for less money, plus Andy knows what it takes to make a brake system perform instead of just look good, and is honest in his opinion as to if a brake system will work as well as a later stock system (since none of the exotics are inherently better than the late/stock units).

I don't want to sound negative, but Its my experience that most brake upgrades - aren't. I know that AndyF's work, so if you don't want a late/stock system, AndyF's are the only ones I can recommend.

Silver R/T

You can get wilwood kit off of ebay for better price
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

HITMAN 149

i was told wilwood are really better for racing & not that great for street use?!?!?!?
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

bill440rt

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 08, 2007, 02:26:34 PM
i was told wilwood are really better for racing & not that great for street use?!?!?!?

Yes, I've read that as well. There is a column in this month's Mopar Action that states the same thing.

I got my SSBC kit thru them directly, using the group buy discount. I am very pleased with the kit. I personally don't have time to go scrounging thru junkyards, and they are pretty well picked apart anyway here in NJ. Given my somewhat lack of mechanic's skills, I'd be afraid of piecing together a kit "a little bit here, a little bit there."
I got a decent price on mine, and it's all there ready to bolt in. They actually use Ford rotors & rear calipers, & they give you stock part#'s in their instruction manual in case you had to go directly to the local auto parts store to buy pads. They are over the counter units. I have a hunch my local Pep Boys is gonna have brake pads in stock for an '88 Ford Mustang/Lincoln vs a '76 Aspen or a '98 Viper.

Choice is yours, but I'd stay away from Wilwood unless you're building it for racing only. SSBC also claims they will clear 14" wheels. I can vouch my rears do, I'll let you know about the fronts as soon as they're done.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HITMAN 149

hey bill...
where in joisey ya at ??? neighbor!!! i'm in union beach & work in hoboken
01 BMW 740i SPORT