News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Challenger info. from local Dodge dealer

Started by dads_69, March 03, 2007, 05:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dads_69

I just got home from the Dodge dealership. The new Challenger is not a go they said, yet. They will now find out the official date for production late this year. Anyone who is putting money down on a new Challenger, they said word for word, is crazy. Dodge can not promise a car that has yet to be built, especially w/all the crap thats going down right now w/them. Just wanted to drop info. for those of us who are wanting the new ride. save your money till its official to be released.
Guess I'll even have to wait.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Ghoste

I can see them being gunshy.  I don't think the charger sedan has been nearly the success they claim it is and that is supposed to be the high volume car.  With everything going on right now, I can see a high risk low volume model like the Challenger moving to the side for the moment.

dads_69

Spoke to the dealer again this afternoon. Soon as GM releases the new camaro, thats when dodge will introduce the challenger. Price is going to be starting at $43,800 to $48,999. This is for a car we don't even know when will be available yet I asked, he said yes sir and I left, again w/money in my pocket. So I bought a Dart w/a small block and traded won of my 440's for a stroked 340 for it. I'm gonna build a 340 clone out of it. Yeah, *I'm done w/chargers* again, for now......
Mark

ChargerST

Quote from: dads_69 on March 03, 2007, 09:06:06 PM
Spoke to the dealer again this afternoon. Soon as GM releases the new camaro, thats when dodge will introduce the challenger. Price is going to be starting at $43,800 to $48,999. This is for a car we don't even know when will be available yet I asked, he said yes sir and I left, again w/money in my pocket. So I bought a Dart w/a small block and traded won of my 440's for a stroked 340 for it. I'm gonna build a 340 clone out of it. Yeah, *I'm done w/chargers* again, for now......
Mark

Hmm..that is what I feared. 44-49k seems to match the expected production number of 30000. And we gotta wait after the camaro enters the stage? Come on Dodge guys..it seems like history repeating..
Sometimes you gotta go the risky way (though I wouldn't consider it risky to price the challenger affordable) to make the big bucks (as Ford did with the Mustang). If I was in the Dodge management I would fire the entire market analyst crew for being way off the path ("there's no market for 2-doors", blablabla). Maybe it's not to bad at all for Chrysler to be sold..at least there's the chance that someone competent takes over the market analyst section..

6pkrunner

At $48,999 plus fees and taxes, this is not an enthusiasts car. You just wiped your market out. Plus the guys with the coins to buy it at those prices are the European buying fellows who want to impress their bosses so they can climb higher.

dads_69

I agree with both statements. Fire the hole crew and make the car affordable. I sure in the hell am not going to buy or pay that price either for the new challenger. I priced the GT 40 out, at $1546.80 a month, I could have won. I wouldn't keep it very long, hence the fact of high monthly payments, but it would sure be a heck of a summer to remember! I don't deal well w/the Dodge dealership here anyways, got thrown out years ago, long story. They suck is what I'll leave it at. As for the hype about the Challenger, its sad for them to hold out. The new Mustang was a big hit, why the hell wait till the camaro comes out I asked, no answer, so I said how lame of Dodge once again an left the dealership.
Mark

6pkrunner

The Daimler mentality reminds me of the old joke about the blind guy on the corner selling pencils.
A guy walks past and sees his sign that the pencils are $1 million each.
The fellow says to the blind guy, "At those prices, you aren't going to sell many."
The blind guy says, "I only have to sell one!"

Much like Daimler - why sell 80,000 90,000 100,000 units of something at $28,000 when you can sell 15,000 at $48,999? Did hey not learn from the Prowler? The Crossfire? The North American market does not want to pay Mercedes prices for a Chrysler product.

greenpigs

I talked to my local dealer and he said the prices would be about 25K for a V6 model & a convertible would be out a year or two after the hardtop. Not sure who his source was but I guess he wouldn't lie unless he got a smoke show from his contact.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

dads_69

Quote from: greenpigs on March 04, 2007, 03:32:48 PM
  I talked to my local dealer and he said the prices would be about 25K for a V6 model & a convertible would be out a year or two after the hardtop. Not sure who his source was but I guess he wouldn't lie unless he got a smoke show from his contact.
Tell your dealer that I think hes on crack. 25 grand for a V6 new concept challenger, I don't think so dude. Car salesmen are all the same, they are like attorneys, they'll say anything you want to hear up front, put a gun to there head, and man they sure spill the beans then, ha-ha.
Mark

dodgecharger-fan

So, the contracts to all of the parts makers are all on hold? Even after they've started to tool up?

That's going to be expensive for Chrysler to buy out of if the car gets canned.

Brock Samson

no they need this car too much..
you'll see it a yr from now.
it'll be a circus, wait till they show up at car shows...

dkn1997

Hey, it's their company, so they can do what they want, but for 43k, they won't sell very many.
RECHRGED

Orange_Crush

Soooo...you are taking as gospel the word of someone who lies for a living? 

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

dkn1997

Quote from: Orange_Crush on March 04, 2007, 07:47:28 PM
Soooo...you are taking as gospel the word of someone who lies for a living? 

same gamble anyone takes when they read a newspaper :o
RECHRGED

Chatt69chgr

The Challenger is going to be built on the same production line as the Charger and I think the 300 in Brampton, Ontario.  It uses many of the same components.  They have already stated that it cost them 1/3 to develop it compared to the other cars that come off that line now.  I was at the Dodge dealer the other day and looked at a new Charger with Hemi.  I think the sticker was around $30.5k  There is no reason that the Challenger should be any more expensive unless it has a 6.1 engine and special transmission/rear end and lots of extra options---but it will depending on the demand.  It does make sense that they will milk the market.  That would mean a low production car with lots of $$ options to start off with.  Plus, all the dealers will add several thousand over the sticker.  There are lots of folks out there that have benefitted from the current administration and have plenty of money to spend---remember, 1% of the population has 90% of ALL the money and 5% of the population has 95% of ALLl the money.  They will get that money first.  Those folks don't really care what they cost.  They just want one.  Then when they have this market satisfied, they will come out with one in the $35k+ range.  They will price it over the Mustang at first to get all that money then can.  They will watch the sales volume and lower the price if they don't move.  They are not going to give anyone anything----unless they have to.  Thats the way I read it.  I guarantee they have marketing guys reading this forum and all the other enthusiast forums.  I am sure they have a pretty close gauge on the market.  I think they learned from their Charger debacle in that respect.  But I just can't see DCX not producing this vehicle.  It has garnered too much positive press and the demand is there.  If they sell Chrysler, whoever buys it will make it.  The whole idea is to make money.  As long as they can make money, they will.  That's what they are in business for.

41husk

It just sounds like they are making a car to compete with the corvette rsther than the Mustang,  I really think they are missing the boat!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dads_69

The new Chally is supposed to have a 500 H.P. motor as stated by dealership here vs. the 450 H.P. motor advertised. I worked for the local Ford dealership here until Nov' 06' I wanted a new Shelby GT 500. They couldn't sell it to me on the D plan, meaning no discount. Price for Ford was $46 grand and some change. My price being an employee even was $58 grand. They said Ford can't take a hit on them like other cars or trucks. What a joke, so I was pissed for a while, then said screw them as well and ending up leaving the company and going to local GM shop now. I am not going to buy a new camaro thats for damn sure, never been a GM fan.
Mark

71ChallengeHer

The Dodge dealership here, asked if I would put my Challenger in the Showroom with the new Challenger. I told them , I would if mine was roped off so no one could touch it. Maybe, I should ask for a discount on a new one?

Ghoste

Hell, yes!  They want to use your car to help them make money selling new cars and you get nothing for it? 

70charginglizard

I'll believe a new retro 2 door challenger when I see it in production.

It wouldn't suprise me a bit if the german pull out on this one. I honestly think the Chally concept only came out as a desprate attempt to spike more inerest in the 4 door charger (you know, the car that not many true muscle car enthusist think is a true muscle car)

Of coarse this is all speculation on my behalf but I wouldn't put it above the sneaky bastards.
70charginglizard

Brock Samson

68chrgrwife

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 04, 2007, 09:51:52 PM
The Dodge dealership here, asked if I would put my Challenger in the Showroom with the new Challenger. I told them , I would if mine was roped off so no one could touch it. Maybe, I should ask for a discount on a new one?

we were going to do the same thing with our challenger, but we sold it so I guess that's not gonna happen...lol  Hubby wants to put his charger in a showroom to show what a REAL Charger looks like....there is a dealership near us that has a 70 challnger already in their showroom, belongs to the owner I guess......
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

BLACKWOLF

they will all be sold to rap artists anyway so keep your money. then you can get one after they pimp it out.
LINNY SMITH 73' CHARGER OWNER HPAC MEMBER NATIONAL STREET MACHINE CLUB LIFE MEMBER
I'M ON FACEBOOK

Brock Samson

over on allpar where they have a 47 page thread on the neo chally the dealers are saying the first cars will be 6.1 and will have a $50K price tag incl. markup...

there was also this quote..

"(Steve Kasher talked to Mike Castiligione): Mike Castiglione was up against two other competing designs, both of which were more "sports car than muscle car;" he was told that his design (the one you now see) that wasn't going to go forward. Mike said that he procured a Popular Hot Rodding lamented the appearance of the Dodge Charger and presented his case to Trevor Creed, showing that Chrysler's best fans wanted something resembling his ideas. That made the difference, and Creed agreed."

here's the source of that quote.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html

here's another link to the one yr. countdown to doomsday clock.. (which actually might not be when the Chally comes out but may actually siginfy the end of the world).  ;D
   http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/production-challenger-doomsday-clock-237225.php

Ghoste