News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone know anything about windows vista and Lexmark printer issues?

Started by 70charginglizard, March 01, 2007, 08:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

I got a new lap top with windows vista opperating system installed on it and I cant get my lexmark all in one printer to work on it. It looks like it's on it (after I installed the disk and the hardware) but it shows the printer as offline and I dont know where to go to get it to change to on line.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and even went to the Lexmark tech page for a patch and used it but it still isnt allowing my printer to show as on line.

What is up!!!  ???
70charginglizard

71charger_fan

Have you tried typing "windows update" in Google and updating your Vista? There may be a patch for that. I updated the XP on my laptop in August and, just last week, had to download 50 megs of additional Windows updates.

Arthu®

So there is an official patch for Vista? Give me some more specifics on the printer, model name? Vista is a bitch on printers, my brother laser printer didn't want to install with the installer either had to do it manually... Be glad all your hardware is suported I still have to do a hard shutdown because (what I believe is my graphics card) something is not compatible yet. I know it is a little bit late but I would have waited a little longer before I would have gotten Vista. Dunno how good you are with puters and how much additional stuff you have, but things like my tablet, printer, wireless internet and scanner all have minor glitches in the install.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

BrianShaughnessy

You got the new driver from here?  http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/sequentialem/home/0,6959,204816596_924205346_920387567_en,00.html

Otherwise beats me...    I changed up to an Epson awhile back and haven't done vista yet.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

73dodge

I just finished setting up my father in laws laptop that he got with Vista on it.

My initial impressions of vista. I think it sucks!!!  It's memory pig and you are right a huge number of programs and peripherals are not compatible with it yet. And the thing that really hacks me off about this piece of garbage is that it pops up a response box asking if you want to do this for EVERYTHING. Try configuring network properties and it asks you if you are sure you want to change the settings.

That apple commercial that shows the 2 guys that represent 2 computers one apple and one microsoft with the security guard asking the MS guy if he should allow a conversation to proceed with the apple guy is dead on.

MS ripped off Apple BIG Time.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

Arthu®

I have been working with Vista since RC2 (beta) it takes time and the admin popups are annoying and will always be annoying but the rest just takes time to get a hang off. The Start menu has been improved IMO, I have a ton of programs and only have to type in the first 2 letters and I get the program I want.

I am personally still using the 32bit version even though my dual core 5200+ AMD can easily use the 64bit version but due to even more compatibility problems I am sticking with this for now. I build this PC about a month ago with a pretty young motherboard it has been out for about half a year I believe and I had to make my own bios just to be able to install Vista. It would be virtually impossible for people that have little to no experience with computers to install Vista. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Anyways back to the printer, is it a newer or an older printer? Even though the software is not being able to install the driver if you could just get a driver package and do it manually.

Arthur

Charger74

Have to agree with ya 73dodge.  Just got a new Dell.  What a pita Vista is.  I know our old Dell all-in-one printer won't work either.  And I have downloaded new drivers for it.  Still not working.  Haven't messed with it for awhile but will have to start next week.

Arthu®

Again most printers can be made to work if you have the seperate driver files most of the times you can get WHQL printerdrivers from the manufacturer that is without the installer, the software...

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that I agree that they ripped off Apple big time!

Doc74

I recently got the new Dell xps410 with vista and I love it. It took some tweaking though, lemme reohrase that...it took some serious modyfiying  :icon_smile_big:

It does take up a ton of memory which i knew so I got 2gb of ram and that does the trick, anything less will make it sluggish I'm sure.

The pop up asking for every change is very annoying so I disabled that immediatly, google for how to's.

There's updates every day and I have everything working now, for printer trouble, do make sure the one you want is on default since there may be virtual printers in your vista, there is in mine.

If you can't get it to run right click the printer in control panel, go to properties and check if there's any issues with the port or anything.

If you have it installed under program files, go to properties and see if you can set the compatibality mode, sometimes switching that to win 98 does the trick. This works for lotsa things, like older games that ran under Xp but not vista.

If your printer has a usb port and you're using parallel then ditch it and get the new cable, it should work right away without any drivers.

Lizard what's the printer model ?

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry