News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Column Parts & HELP!!

Started by Mopar Crazy, February 23, 2007, 02:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Crazy

I have a 68 Charger. Power Steering auto on the floor. I have to rebuild my Steering Column, never done this before..
Does anyone have an exploded view of this column????  or any advice????
I have a rebuild kit that was in the car.  # P 4443436AC.
Thanks
Pete
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Chatt69chgr

I am facing the same project on my 69.  There have been threads on the forum about this subject.  Might try a search.  Generally, I think it is pretty straight forward.  Not sure if yours is rusted----mine is-----so I will have to dissemble mine and sandblast the components and repaint.  If you need to replace it, the upper bearing is availble from Mopar still.  I have heard there are issues about getting it out but don't know personally.  The turn signal and cancelling cam are available aftermarket.  The lower bearing is not available from Mopar.  But AM High Tech Auto has both kinds:  the one with two screws and the one with three screws.  I have seen an article while surfing the web on a guy that rebuilds these and he has pictures of the process but I don't recall the source.  Maybe someone else has that info.  If you have access to a digital camera, it would be interesting to see your progress.  And if you don't, it would still be interesting to hear in words what you ran into.   Just remembered that Mopar has the rebuild kit for the pot that connects the steering shaft to the steering box.  The kit does NOT include the spring wire that Mopar used to have availble that slipped over the pot mechanism when dealers rebuilt the coupler pot.  I don't think you can buy that piece but if someone on here knows better about that item I sure would like to know about it.  It's discussed in a technical service bulletin that I found on the www.hamtramck-historical.com site.  TSB 69-19-4.  The TSB says "A service coupling cover retaining clamp part number 2996935 has been released and should be installed whenever the column or gear has been disturbed for any reason"  I guess they were worried about the pot coming apart after being serviced.  I checked and the part is not available from Mopar anymore.  I am hoping that someone on here knows of an aftermarket source.  Good luck. 

Rolling_Thunder

trust me guys...    it is extremely straight forward....     I had never done one before - then did a 68, 69, 70 columns in 2 days...     very easy = factory service manual WAS not even used when I did my first ones. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger-Bodie

68 and 69 columns are very easy but a 70 column is a little more advanced
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidog

how easy is it to pull the column out ?

Chatt69chgr

Not too hard.  Just a bunch of bolts hard to get to with the exception of that roll pin you have to drive out down at the coupler pot/steering gear.  If it's rusted in, you may have to Kroil it for a while first.  The one I took out had the instrument panel removed so I could see everything real easy. 

GTX

Maybe this will help you. This is '70-'71 but essentially the same for removal and you can easily see what is different on a '68-'69. I think mostly the ignition in the column with the interlock and you can just disregard that obviously.
I had to make it smaller for posting but if you would like the larger one drop me a line and I'll send it to you.  :cheers:

-Dave

Mopar Crazy

Thanks guys. A lot of advice.
GTX: I think that exploded view will be good.
I'm taking it apart this week.
I'll let you know. Thanks Pete

Mopar Crazy

Took the column apart. Now I need the (upper insulator, bearing, and snap ring) , and the (lower bearing and bearing support).
Does anyone know where I can get these parts?????
Does anyone have these part #'s.
Thanks Pete

Chatt69chgr

The upper bearing and insulator appear to be available from Mopar.  P/N's are 2265656 ($16.39) and 2925491 ($2.71) respectively.  The snap ring and other parts are not available from Mopar.  It's possible they could have the snap ring on a superseded number but I have no way of accessing it.  Check amhightechauto.com for the lower bearing.  It has been reproduced.  There is a 2 screw and a 3 screw version.  I believe he lists them as parts 542 and 543.  Look at yours to see which version you need.  They cost $80.  High, but just be glad you can get it at all.  I saw some guy machined one out of a solid piece of delrin plastic.  He had the raw material and a lathe.  Who says Mopar guys are not resourceful.