News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

17" or 18" Torq Thrust II's.. help w/ sizes!?!?!?

Started by HITMAN 149, March 01, 2007, 09:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

hey guys & gals (since we have a bunch joining us nowadays)  :icon_smile_big:
i'm thinkin on american racing TT II's for my 68 r/t....
i was thinkin maybe either 17" in font & 18" in rear (like Mr Angry)  or 17" in rear & 16"s up front?!?!?
any suggestions and HELP with the widest & biggest,....offset,....backspacing, (technical crap!!! LOL) and tire sizes to go with them?!?!?
i know this has been discussed a million tmes!! but i did a search & didn't seem to find anything relevant to my dilemma?!?!? i'll be doing a 11" SSBC front disc conv. and a total poly/graph front end rebuild with 11/16 tie rods.... nothing crazy as far as drop or mods. 
the pic was photoshop'd by DS (thanks a million!!!) for me, as what i'm looking for. (of course i had yo use Mr. Angry, as a model)
thanks.......
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

HITMAN 149

CMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 35 views & not one comment!!! what..... all of a sudden everyones a damn mute!!! LOL cmon........... someone.....anyone....buhler...buhler!!!!
:icon_smile_big:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

471_Magnum

You need to consider what sizes are available, and how much you are willing to spend. Do you want a "rake"? Are you going to lower (or raise) the suspension? Do you want it to "hook"? How much do you actually plan to drive the car?

Out back at stock ride height, I recommend a ~28" tall tire. Anything shorter will look "ricey" unless you lower the car (which I believe NYC has done w/blocks). Shorter tire will also sacrifice ride quality.  Unfortunately, selection is pretty slim for 17s or 18s in the taller diameters, although you might have a little better luck with 18's. Zero offset centers the wheel in the opening for maximum clearance all around.

Max tire up front is a 255-50-17, but it requires perfect offset (zero), and some tweaking to the fender lip. I'd recommend going a little shorter and/or narrower.

Matching the front tire brand and model to the rear is another challenge. If you find a size you like for the rear, it can be tough to find something to match for the front. When I chose my 17" combination, I wanted the front and rear diameter as close as possible. I did not want any "rake". I wanted my spare to fit all four corners. That further limited my choices.

Another consideration is traction. If you are making big power, you won't hook with a short side wall. This is one of the reasons I went back to 15s.

Most everything out there is going to be 25"-26" diameter, which just doesn't give enough sidewall to look right. You've really got to hunt to find the right tire size. Dropping the suspension an inch would really open-up tire selection, but it's a big compromise in other areas.

Really, it just comes down to doing the homework, scrounging through manufacturers' specifications. There is no single perfect combination.

All that being said, if I were to do it again, I'd run a 305-45-18 Nitto Drag Radial out back on a zero offset 18x10 or 11 wheel. Up front I'd try a 255-45-17 or 235-50-17 on a 17x8 or 9 wheel. This would give about 1" of rake. Finding a front tire that size might be a bit of a challenge.

If you really want to hook, M&H has some 17" drag radials that would fit as well, but I don't know how I'd feel about running them on the highway with no tread wear or speed rating.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

HITMAN 149

alright magnum!!! thanks....
i guess i love the look (stance) of mikes Mr Angry... if it means anything also w/ my front end kit, i'll be doing KYB gas shocks all around???
it'll be a weekend /show cruiser.... not gonna be a big track racer..maybee a few time just to see?!?!? yea i really don't like the "ricer-low profile look" i don't want the rubber to be too thin.. that's why i was thinkin 17's out back & 16's up front?!?! not looking to spend crazzzeee coin either on custom rims. tryin to stay de$cent within the budget. but the right rims...do make the ride look sweeeeet!!!
yea...not lookin for $5K lexanni's or sprewells or anything sick like that!! LOL. i like some boyds wheels..not bad coin either ($300-400 ea.)
and the TT II's are reasonable & i like them..even though EVERYONE has them i guess!!! LOL. we're gonna measure how much room, at the shop next time & i guess take it from there?!?!? not looking to do any body mods or anything.
NYC Mike PM'd me & said  "I run 17x8.5s on the front with a 255/45/17 tire - with this size you still get a decent amount of sidewall as well so the car still rides pretty good. I would go 17x10s in the rear with a 285/40 series tire. As far as the backspacing I think I am running 4.75 front and 5.5 rear, but not positive." & also "You could definitely do a 17x9.5 in the rear, front I'd probably go 17x8 or 8.5... with either one of those combinations you won't rub at all." 
??? any thoughts?!?!?!?
what kinda backspacing should i go with???? i'm all confused!!!!!!  ??? LOL
thanks much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-JOHN
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

is_it_EVER_done?

The choices you listed are limited only by your preference. I do believe that there are more choices of tires in 18's, so that may be a factor. Other than that, if you like the look of the big wheel/short sidewall combo, you have about a Billion choices. Chose what you like, in the diameter you like, to achieve the look you like.

Any "good" tire store will test fit what you want befor buying.

471_Magnum

Mike is running zero offset. Again, that will center the wheel and tire for maximum clearance.

offset = width / 2 - back space + 1/2" -> 10" wide rim with 5.5" back space is zero offset
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

chargerboy69

Hitman, You know I just ordered a set of Boyds. I don't think I ever told you the sizes.

17X8 up front with a 4.5" backspace and

18X10 in the rear with a 5.5" backspace.

You are getting limited with 16" size tires. The 17" is better, and the 18" is better yet.

For tires I went with a 255 45 17, and 275 40 18.

Good luck in your decision, it is a difficult one I know. Just when you think you have your mind made up, you change it.

Later. Tim
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

NYCMille

You almost nailed my combo except I run a 285/40/18 in the rear.

K9COP

Any pics guys? I'm in the same boat, looking for rims. I was thinking of late model Charger rims, any thoughts?
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

HITMAN 149

ehhhhhhhhhhhh.
go with a nice set of 17's or 18's!!!!!!!!  i just posted a couple pics of wheels i'm thinkin about on my other post about the car being in the shop (genl disc) -JOHN
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

K9COP

I'll go look. I'm a long way from worrying about rims though.. I quite like the look of the Appliance steels on it at the moment, but they're not really wide enough..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

K9COP

Hitman, Where's the post again.. help me out..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

HITMAN 149

01 BMW 740i SPORT  

K9COP

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)

HITMAN 149

those are some of the one's i came across that i liked????
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

K9COP

Nice. My car is numbers matching, but been painted before. It is also green.. I wanted away from that, but it has a green interior, which is very good. Thought about black, but looking at graphite now. Also thought abouit very dark green metallic..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)