News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New repro full 68 to 70 1/4 panels

Started by johntpr, February 27, 2007, 04:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

lets hope its as good as they advertise it to be
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger1973

So whos gonna be the first to send them 4 Gs?    :stirthepot:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 02, 2007, 02:35:05 PM
So whos gonna be the first to send them 4 Gs?    :stirthepot:

Not me, there's Chinese 1/4's on mine already.   ;D

I will be buying the '71 Cuda panels from the same place that makes the $1200 Challenger ones. That is if they ever see the light of day.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hemi-hampton

I seen a place here in Michigan that makes high quality NOS Type late 60's Camaro Quarter Panels for $500. I dont see why a Chargers Quarter Panel  should cost much more then $500? LEON.

BB1

Delete my profile

hemi-hampton

Heres the proto-type pre production 67 Camaro Convertible 1/4 panel that is not available yet anywhere. They sell the 69 hardtop & conv 1/4's for around $500. Nobody has the 67 conv 1/4 available till now. I can tell you from years of looking & using lots of cheap after market garbage that these are the best After market Products I've ever seen. Fit & look like NOS. I'd sure like to see this same Co. make 68-70 & 71-72 Chargers Quarters. LEON.

terrible one

Skins it is for me then! $4,000 is more than I paid for the damn car!

hemi-hampton

Heres the car used as a Guinea Pig for the 1/4's & other parts. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Heres how they look setting on car not welded. 1/4's fit like a Glove. I could talk to them about making Charger 1/4's possibly if any body was Interested in these? LEON.

MM1R/T

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 02, 2007, 05:53:34 PM
I seen a place here in Michigan that makes high quality NOS Type late 60's Camaro Quarter Panels for $500. I dont see why a Chargers Quarter Panel  should cost much more then $500? LEON.

I believe that a lot of repro GM sheetmetal is made on original tooling. If that's the case, $500 leaves a lot of room for profit. Additionally, there is a MUCH larger market for Camaro parts than there ever will be for Chargers.

Factor in economies of scale and not having to build new tooling, and those Camaro 1/4's make the Charger pieces @ 2K look reasonable.

Charger1973

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 02, 2007, 07:19:56 PM
Heres how they look setting on car not welded. 1/4's fit like a Glove. I could talk to them about making Charger 1/4's possibly if any body was Interested in these? LEON.

3rd gen quarters and bulge hoods would be nice...   :yesnod:

hemi-hampton

MM1R/T, I guess you did not read my other post on this a few weeks ago. This is not made from original tooling but new tooling. The original 1/4 panels on this rustfree Arizona car was scanned with a Very complex, high tech Military produced Camera that was used On unmaned Arial  Drone Spy Planes. These High Tech Pictures then fed into a Computer. Then a Die made to stamp the new Parts. If you were to look real close you may see in Picture the inner Structures under that 1/4 has many little black dots(actually stickers) strategically placed throug out. These points were used to measure & referance points. The much bigger black dots have allready been removed, scanner guy left smaller ones behind. I watched this Process then & there & soon they will have these inner Structures available also. The original nice rustfree 1/4's on this car was cut off to trial fit these new 1/4's. This Test mule Camaro will remain in bare metal or have a bare metal appearance to be used to display there new products. LEON.

hemi-hampton

MM1R/T. From what I thought I heard the Goodmark Repops are made from new tooling that was made up from original blueprints supplied by GM. Not exactly the same as using GM's tooling which usually got scraped long ago. LEON.

MM1R/T

Well, that is good news. Maybe if we all make enough noise, we'll get some quality, accurate repro sheetmetal.

Thanks for the info. That looks like an amazing process!

Ghoste

I thought Goodmark was using actual GM tooling as well?  I thought that's what I had ready anyway.  I do know that Chrylser scrapped all their tooling for just about everything back in the late 70's-early 80's so it's good to see people willing to take this on.
I just hope they don't price themselves out of it.
Does anyone think that maybe some of these vendors are taking the whole Barrett-Jackson Mopar business thing too seriously?  I know I cringed the first time I saw that term in print.

Silver R/T

I would be interested if price is reasonable
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

grizzlygiff

Hardcore Racing explained that they had new tooling made off NOS sheetmetal like Leon was talking about with computer scanning, etc. He also said that they improved even on nos panels because small imperfections exist on those as well, and they addressed those problems also. I agree with what Old Moparz and others have said about expense, but I am lucky to have owned both my chargers for 22 and 17 years, and only paid 3k for both cars. The 69 RT is all original, but needs a full quarter on drivers side because it was hit and a repo skin doesn't cover far enough up. I too am just a hobbyist, and I couldn't buy the same cars at todays prices. I am just slowly doing it as money allows, but because I don't have a small fortune invested, and what a real RT is now worth, I feel I can justify getting the one side at least, and if the fit really is as good as advertised, actually save labor costs for the installation by doing it myself with help from friends.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 02, 2007, 07:19:56 PM
I don't think it's an issue of IF anybody is interested, because the interest is definitely there, guaranteed. :yesnod: It's merely a matter of having them affordable, while retaining factory (or better) quality.

If they are hesitant because of a couple other companies in the process of making these, then they could gauge the market by making taillight panels & rear valances (& correct corners) for Chargers. If the quality & fitment is dead on, I guarantee there will be huge interest in more pieces made by these guys.
Who are these guys anyway? Do they make sheetmetal for newer cars as a real job & this is just a hobby? :icon_smile_big:

I understand that volume of Camaro 1/4's sold will be higher, merely because Camaro's outnumber Chargers from the get-go. If the final price on Charger 1/4's end up in the $600-700 range for each, I wouldn't be too surprised at that & could justify the higher cost. I presume most others would too.

Now who wants to send in their perfect original 1/4's for the good of mankind?? ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi-hampton

The good news is they can scan these 1/4's & reproduce while they are still on the car (NO NEED TO DO ANY CUTTING OR REMOVING OF ANYTHING).The other good news is I just happen to have a 100% rust free all original, original paint & low 24,000 mile 1970 R/T Charger & only live 8 miles from this Company. Guess I'd volunteer to be there Guinea Pig if need Be. I'll take one for the Team if you know what I mean, LOL? LEON.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

JR

I'm all for the new quarters but please tell me your survivor Hemi Charger won't be the test mule for them. Thats just not right. I know it can be put back together but it sure is ashame to cut up that beautiful survivor.

That being said, I'll be inline to buy some when they come out.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: JR on March 05, 2007, 07:57:39 PM
I'm all for the new quarters but please tell me your survivor Hemi Charger won't be the test mule for them. Thats just not right. I know it can be put back together but it sure is ashame to cut up that beautiful survivor.

That being said, I'll be inline to buy some when they come out.

It's all computer modeling; they wouldn't have to cut it up.

By the way, that Charger is awesome.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 05, 2007, 07:52:34 PM
The good news is they can scan these 1/4's & reproduce while they are still on the car (NO NEED TO DO ANY CUTTING OR REMOVING OF ANYTHING).
Oh, I assumed they needed to be cut off so they could correctly photograph the attaching points too. If they can do it while it's still on the car, that's all the better. :yesnod:

Guess I'd volunteer to be there Guinea Pig if need Be. I'll take one for the Team if you know what I mean, LOL? LEON.
PERFECT!! :boogie:
You will be forever burned into the Charger history books as a true hero! ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

tan top

The good news is they can scan these 1/4's & reproduce while they are still on the car (NO NEED TO DO ANY CUTTING OR REMOVING OF ANYTHING).The other good news is I just happen to have a 100% rust free all original, original paint & low 24,000 mile 1970 R/T Charger & only live 8 miles from this Company. Guess I'd volunteer to be there Guinea Pig if need Be. I'll take one for the Team if you know what I mean, LOL? LEON.

sorry guys  not really trying to hijack ......   WOW (hemi - hampton) an awesome charger you have there :icon_smile_approve: sure would like to see some pictures of this one .......... :scope:............ :scope:.................... :popcrn:  .......... :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dodge Don

You can't use NOS ones as a baseline for what you can sell these for. NOS ones are damn rare and there is a very finite group willing to buy them. You put 50 NOS panels on EBAY at the same time at that price and most won't sell.

$2,000 a side is outlandish.

I got excited......then the price....count me out.

By the way...for the 100th time...."Made in USA" is NOT a statement of quality, rather a marketing slogan. A Chineese or Thai or French or whatever person can make just as nice a part as some fat overpaid union slob in the US.  :yesnod: