News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New repro full 68 to 70 1/4 panels

Started by johntpr, February 27, 2007, 04:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johntpr

http://www.weracehardcore.com/

This place is advertising that full 1/4's will be available in April with fenders, door skins,hoods and trunk lids coming soon. Let's hope.

greenpigs

Thats the same place that jumped one of the "original" GL and a true RT  car as well.  I hope it is as good of quality as they hype it up to be. Plus new fenders are MUCH needed as it is crazy the prices beat up stuff gets.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

hotrod98

I wonder why none of the other vendors have mentioned it?
Usually there's a large company behind the repro sheet metal, such as Dynacorn.
I'm still waiting for 70-71 cuda tail panels.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Well, lookie there.......  It's about time...... 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mikepmcs

Advertise anything you want until one of you experts put it on your car and find out it ain't perfect.(i'm not an expert, that's why i said that)

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Daytona R/T SE

If these parts are any good, this place will be seeing lots of my money :yesnod:

If this is just another "teaser" to test the waters to see if anyone is interested in these parts,well... :flame:

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: johntpr on February 27, 2007, 04:17:09 PM
http://www.weracehardcore.com/

This place is advertising that full 1/4's will be available in April with fenders, door skins,hoods and trunk lids coming soon. Let's hope.

Does it list a year?  After all, Goodmark was supposed to be coming out with this stuff last April, and the rest of it "sometime" later.  It was all just rumors though - at least so far.

tan top

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on February 27, 2007, 11:39:16 PM
If these parts are any good, this place will be seeing lots of my money :yesnod:

If this is just another "teaser" to test the waters to see if anyone is interested in these parts,well... :flame:

:iagree:  ........ but i wonder  how good a fit are they going to be  :-\
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MM1R/T

The site has the "Mopar Authentic Restoration Product" logo under the announcement for the 1/4's. Hopefully that's a good sign regarding fit/quality.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 27, 2007, 05:48:47 PM
Usually there's a large company behind the repro sheet metal, such as Dynacorn.

The site says that THEY are the manufacturer.

Hopefully that's a good sign for quality.

I wonder what it will mean for price. They do a lot of stuff, but it looks like this is the first body panel they've made.

NYCMille

THANK YOU GOD!!!

I've been waiting for this!

grizzlygiff

I called Hardcore Racing today and spoke to Gary Penn (sp?) about these new OEM type quarter panels. He was very friendly and helpful. He says these will be available in April, with many new parts coming in the next 24 months. The good news is they are made in Michigan by a current vendor to Chrysler. They are an exact duplicate to NOS panels and he said slightly thicker metal. They will start on door skins next, eventually making nearly everything to build a complete car according to him. This of course sounded too good be true, I mean US made, thick metal, accurate fit, more parts coming, stop me, I'm drooling. I asked if it was really true, and he assured me it was. He also said they are trying to sell them through Chrysler dealerships, but had also talked with Year One, Paddock, etc. They won't be cheap, though he said list price in the 2k range per quarter was his estimate. I give them much credit for not going Chinese like every other company and will definitely be $aving up for quality sheetmetal. :yesnod:

Old Moparz

If that pricing is true, I think they will miss out on a large portion of the market. Yeah, everyone would love to have a USA made panel in the correct gauge, but at $4000 per pair, it isn't happening. Reduce that price by half or more, & they might sell okay. Don't forget that the Challenger panels are $1200 per pair. There will be some people that will pay it, but it had better be absolutely perfect, or word will spread fast that it's junk. If they are nice, a few Chargers will end up with these panels, but most will have Chinese ones at much smaller percentage of the cost.

I'd like to see it happen, but that price may kill it as well as future replacement parts.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 01, 2007, 02:34:58 PM
If that pricing is true, I think they will miss out on a large portion of the market. Yeah, everyone would love to have a USA made panel in the correct gauge, but at $4000 per pair, it isn't happening.
:iagree: That price deflated my hopes pretty hastily. No wonder they're waiting to announce the prices later.
I'm definitely a staunch supporter of American car parts being made in America, but DAYUMM! :o Maybe that's just the initial run estimate of 50 pairs? As the manufactured number goes up, the price will go down? Hopefully?

I'm sure the cost of the machinery involved is in no way cheap, but certainly they don't expect to recoup all their expenses within the first 100 pairs made. :-\

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Corellian Corvette

If that's true, it's going to put fenders about in the same range. Which would be almost as much as nice originals.

dkn1997

RECHRGED

gtx6970

At $2000 per side, they won't sell 10 sets, make it $2000 for a pair , they will sell all they can make  :Twocents:

Charger1973

Yeah that is the place that jumped the 4 speed RT General Lee not long ago...  I thought they were Chevy guys?  Must be trying to cash in on the Mopar craze.  I dont know that I would get my hopes up too high... 

Big Lebowski

They better be perfect for that kinda dough.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Big Lebowski on March 01, 2007, 09:33:01 PM
They better be perfect for that kinda dough.

Forget that.  For $2k a side, they better come installed!

6pkrunner

Someone never did any market research or made a proper poll when researching for marketing.

At $1200 a pair they would have to have 3 shifts working 7 days a week

At $2000 a pair they will sell a moderate amount.

At $4000 a pair - there's going to be lots of hungry would-be-vendors-sitting-on-inventory out there.

And the worst part is there will be some stupid quote in the future like "Well we tried to make second generation 1/4 panels, but there wasn't any demand for them."
Same as ther isn't much demand for a $700 bag of potato chips or a $900 bottle of water.

grizzlygiff

The price of 2k per side was just an estimate of the suggested retail price. He mentioned that there would probably be discounting from dealers,like the 25-30% we all see advertised from places like Koller Dodge. That would help a lot. I realize this isn't cheap, but he said they will be first rate quality wise. With the large investment in tooling expense, I think they believe they will sell. NOS panels priced in this range certainly seem to get snapped up on ebay when they are auctioned. Yes, they could outsource from China like most would, and price would be better, but quality would suffer, and another job would be lost here at home.  I guess I show my age, because I still believe in Be American, Buy American, or "You get what you pay for", and no, I don't belong to any union. I just remember how many people have talked about the dire need for quality sheetmetal and hoped that someday it would be available, hopefully that day is soon to arrive.

BrianShaughnessy

Kinda pricey....   hopefully they settle the price somewhere in the middle instead of the top end but they have to pay their expenses for them also.   It's not just the price of a piece of metal.   

They should work on the fenders next imho.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Old Moparz

Quote from: grizzlygiff on March 02, 2007, 10:12:35 AM
The price of 2k per side was just an estimate of the suggested retail price. He mentioned that there would probably be discounting from dealers,like the 25-30% we all see advertised from places like Koller Dodge. That would help a lot. I realize this isn't cheap, but he said they will be first rate quality wise. With the large investment in tooling expense, I think they believe they will sell. NOS panels priced in this range certainly seem to get snapped up on ebay when they are auctioned. Yes, they could outsource from China like most would, and price would be better, but quality would suffer, and another job would be lost here at home.  I guess I show my age, because I still believe in Be American, Buy American, or "You get what you pay for", and no, I don't belong to any union. I just remember how many people have talked about the dire need for quality sheetmetal and hoped that someday it would be available, hopefully that day is soon to arrive.

While I agree with your idea, buy American, I still see this as a hobby. Since it's a hobby to me, I only throw money to it when I can afford to, & won't ever invest an amount for parts that exceeds what I think is reasonable. I also know that my definition of "reasonable" is different from others, but after reading a few comments, I see I'm not alone. I'll admit that I'm still stuck in the same mode of thought when it comes to how much these old, used, cars should be worth, & that goes for parts too. Even 25 to 30 percent less is too high in my opinion.

I don't buy old cars as an investment, but it's nice to know they are worth more than what I paid for them. It makes it a little easier to justify the cost of some of the restoration. When I hunted for quarter panels on my Scamp 12 years ago, I located a pair of NOS ones for $1500 & passed on them. The quote to have them installed & to paint the car far exceeded what I could ever sell it for. I said I wasn't in the hobby for the money, but it didn't make sense to spend almost $7000 on a car that might only get $3500 if I had to sell it.

I spent a lot less on a pair of Chinese quarter panels back then, & found a small, decent, shop to do the Scamp for me. I spent a total of $1850 to get both panels, all the body work, & paint, & content with what I got for the money. (A nice, rust free cruiser, not a competing show car.) Maybe if the Scamp had been a big block, Dart GTS instead, I'd have sprung for the NOS ones, but I don't know for sure. I am happy that parts are being made after 30 years of getting shafted by Chrysler, but I'm not going to get shafted on the price because I'm desperate.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

6pkrunner

I agree with the adage "you get what you pay for" but that has a ceiling before all costs of manufacturing are exceeded and its just pure profit. If a part costs X to produce and market then buying it for 3X doesn't make it getting what I paid for 3 times better than the fellow thart got the same for X.  There is only so much quality that can go into a part.
As Old Moparz said this is still a hobby for a lot of us. Yes the NOS ones on eBay are snapped up - but they are snapped up by a small market segment that are awaiting them. Put 100 sets of NOS ones on eBay and see, or 200 sets. You're not going to be in the $4000 range for very long. The hobbiests still make up the bulk of the market.
How many sets are they plannig to make? Is this a one shot deal, make 100 or 200 sets and let them deplete over time? Even with a 30% discount that leaves $2800 for 2 panels - that's still a lot of coin. It could just be me but I find that steep, especially considering I drive the cars I have. I'd be terrified of getting these dented.
But the show guys will welcome these with open arms - I hope there is enough of them to make this venture worthwhile for the manufacturers. I wouldn't really count on the average hobbiest too much. But I may be surprised.