News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone ever done a cruise or a trip on part of Route 66?

Started by DannyG, February 19, 2007, 04:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

As a result of my post on the Daytona 500 question, you guys proved to be a fantastic source of info.  Part of my plan to come over to the USA next year is to take in a few days on Route 66.  I know its a touristy type thing to do but, hey, I'll be a tourist and would like to get out and see some of the country and its people.  I can see shopping malls and cities here in Australia.

So, if anyone can post any experiences, advice or thoughts on doing a day or a few on part of the historic Route 66, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks folks.

DannyG

GTX

There are tons of people who are Route 66 fans. I've never done it myself but my understanding is that parts of it are gone now and more going.
I've heard that the best is down in AZ etc, the South West and then Westbound....

Many people make the trek or a cruise each year in rv's, classic cars etc.....
Someday hopefully in a few years I'll be checking it out myself. Then again I'm sort of into the cheesy roadside things too. I have a buddy in Germany who wants to come do it so maybe I'll take him. Of course he's under the impression that he can land in L.A and drive to Fla and see everything in just a few days!

Call me when you get near Utah and I'll show you around here.

We should do a Mopar Route 66 cruise!  :punkrocka:

41husk

I live a few minutes from Rt 66 in Illinois and have to say really take it for granted.  Infact I am 13 minutes from the Gateway Arch in St louis and jave never been up in it.  Kinda sad!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

oldkimmer

There are a few good replys to my post (has anyone got there kicks on route 66)....I to cannot wait to travel the mother road.......Kim...
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dodge Don

I hit 66 in Arizona every time I go to Vegas. Love it.

mopar1

I don't get it, it's a highway. What makes it so special?

Chargen69

Quote from: mopar1 on February 20, 2007, 11:01:49 PM
I don't get it, it's a highway. What makes it so special?

it's historic, it used to be the main road from the east to the west  "Chicago to LA"   

http://www.historic66.com/

Chargen69

Route 66 Facts and Trivia
Current maps do not include old Route 66.
Route 66 is 2448 miles long. (about 4000 km)
Route 66 was commissioned in 1926, picking up as many as possible bits and pieces of existing road.
Route 66 crosses 8 states and 3 time zones.
Route 66 starts in Chicago, and ends in L.A. (Santa Monica).
Some people think driving it in the opposite direction is historically wrong, but it's mainly a lot harder as all available documentation goes the "right" way.
In 1926 only 800 miles of Route 66 were paved. Only in 1937 Route 66 got paved end-to-end.
You can only drive parts of Route 66 these days... it has been replaced by the interstate highways I-55, I-44, I-40, I-15 and I-10, but still a surprisingly high amount of old road is waiting to be found by the more adventurous traveler.
Route 66 is also know as "The Mother Road", "The Main Street of America" and "The Will Rogers Highway".
During all of its life, Route 66 continued to evolve, leaving many abandoned stretches of concrete, still waiting to be found by the more adventurous traveler.
Route 66 was also the title of a TV series playing from 1960 till 1964
Cyrus Stevens Avery from Tulsa Oklahoma can be called the father of Route 66
In 1985 Route 66 was officially decommissioned, but for daily use it was replaced far earlier by the Interstates.

mopar1

I suppose if I wanted to drive from chicago to LA. I would take route 66 and not get lost or sidetracked. I guess the alternative is ten different interstates and who knows what else.

GTX

Very cool info, thanks.
Now I want to go do the drive!  :drive:

I know that there are people who do it every year exploring more and more of it and researching it.

Quote from: Chargen69 on February 20, 2007, 11:16:19 PM
Route 66 Facts and Trivia
Current maps do not include old Route 66.
Route 66 is 2448 miles long. (about 4000 km)
Route 66 was commissioned in 1926, picking up as many as possible bits and pieces of existing road.
Route 66 crosses 8 states and 3 time zones.
Route 66 starts in Chicago, and ends in L.A. (Santa Monica).
Some people think driving it in the opposite direction is historically wrong, but it's mainly a lot harder as all available documentation goes the "right" way.
In 1926 only 800 miles of Route 66 were paved. Only in 1937 Route 66 got paved end-to-end.
You can only drive parts of Route 66 these days... it has been replaced by the interstate highways I-55, I-44, I-40, I-15 and I-10, but still a surprisingly high amount of old road is waiting to be found by the more adventurous traveler.
Route 66 is also know as "The Mother Road", "The Main Street of America" and "The Will Rogers Highway".
During all of its life, Route 66 continued to evolve, leaving many abandoned stretches of concrete, still waiting to be found by the more adventurous traveler.
Route 66 was also the title of a TV series playing from 1960 till 1964
Cyrus Stevens Avery from Tulsa Oklahoma can be called the father of Route 66
In 1985 Route 66 was officially decommissioned, but for daily use it was replaced far earlier by the Interstates.

GTX

Quote from: mopar1 on February 20, 2007, 11:22:49 PM
I suppose if I wanted to drive from chicago to LA. I would take route 66 and not get lost or sidetracked. I guess the alternative is ten different interstates and who knows what else.

While I'd like to do the 66 trip if I were going from Chicago to LA I think I'd end up taking I-80 into Wyoming and then drop down to Utah and I-15 and ride that through Vegas and into Ca .
The southern route would almost certainly be more scenic in my book though, I hate that drive across Wyoming and Nebraska.

mopar1

Quote from: GTX on February 20, 2007, 11:35:28 PM

While I'd like to do the 66 trip if I were going from Chicago to LA I think I'd end up taking I-80 into Wyoming and then drop down to Utah and I-15 and ride that through Vegas and into Ca .
The southern route would almost certainly be more scenic in my book though, I hate that drive across Wyoming and Nebraska.
Maybe I need to plan a vacation.

Bones68charger

Quote from: GTX on February 20, 2007, 11:35:28 PM

Your driving through the wrong part of Nebraska my friend.

GTX

John_Kunkel

Jeez, my folks and I used to travel 66 back in the forties and fifties when it was just a road.

We'd travel from L.A. to St. Louis every 3-4 years to visit my grandparrents until I was a teenager.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

DannyG

As I expected, great information and very useful for my purpose too.  Better than any travel agent.  Feel free to keep it coming.  You guys rock!

Thanks,

DannyG

Charger1970

My brother caught some of Route 66 on a cross-country motorcycle ride. Read all about here...
http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=64264&forum=44&start=0

I drove a couple of miles on Route 66 on a trip from LA to Atlanta. The old road was VERY rough.

1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

68chrgrwife

i believe that when we drove from NJ to Ca that we hit a part of Rt.66.  I kinda remember hubby saying that when we watched Cars to my daughter who was with us at the time.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!