News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will this truck haul a 74' B-Body?

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, February 26, 2007, 07:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

One last suggestion.  How about renting a newer truck from budget or enterprise, hertz, etc...... then getting a u haul trailer and putting on one of their rides.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BMOTOXSTAR

They want 75 cents per mile plus $50 a day. At that price it is not worth it. Most of the rentals do not have hitches.
I guess I will take a gamble. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Troy

My guess is that renting a truck or a large U-Haul and a trailer would end up costing more than paying to ship the car. I'm sure it could be shipped for $500 if you call around. Is the car drivable (meaning, can it get on the trailer by itself)? When do you need to pick it up? I know you said next weekend but do you absolutely have to have it then?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BMOTOXSTAR

No,
I have been talking to the guy for a month and he wants it gone.I pout the trip of as long as I cpould and even looked at a few other cars to make sure this was the one I wanted. It is turn key. The thing about the shipping is that it has a RR hood that comes with it and it will cost extra to have the hood shipped with the car.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Arthu®

Ok this might be a really stupid question, but as it is turn key I understand that it drives and is road worthy... Why not just drive it back?

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

BMOTOXSTAR

I would need someone to drive me there & there are extra RR parts that come with the Satellite, like a RR hood. Believe me, I thought about that.
Also, the Satellite has never seen salt or snow, has been garaged all of it's life.The car is from Florida.  :yesnod:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

cheap

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on February 26, 2007, 11:37:37 PM
Thank you all for the help.
I am going to rent the U-Haul Car Hauler that Troy was talking about. I let U-Haul know what I was towing & what with.Theysaid it looks good in the book. I will just have to see. I hope the truck makes it.
It looks like a 1,100 mile round trip form Cleveland,Ohio to Springfield, IL. I now find out that the Satellite is outside of Chicago.
I cant believe that  I am driving this far for a 74' Satellite,but the car is a super clean car that needs no body work and is turn key. I wish I could get the guy down from $2800 to $2500. Just due to the long drive and all the gas and tolls that I will be paying. I sure hope it works out. :rotz:

BMOTOXSTAR.....,I am just north of Springfield,,,how far is it to this place, just outside Chicago....If you want ,,go ahead and e-mail me and I might be able to give you a little heads up on your trip....

BMOTOXSTAR

Looks Like I will be going this weekend. The place is Chatham, IL.Please give ma a heads up on the roads there. I am going to take 71 south through Ohio, through Indy, and to Chatham. Is there any tolls there?
I was going to take 80/90 but I have been told that it is a rough route.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Troy

I don't think there are any tolls along that route - at least none that I remember and I travel that about 4 times per year. I am not a fan of I-80/I-90 at all and I think it will be much longer in this case.

Troy

BMOTOXSTAR

Thank you Troy,
   It will be an adventure. Hope I make it. I must be crazy putting that much thought into a 74' Satellite.
I keep telling myself, clean Granny car, nice body, RR Clone !  :yesnod:

15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

cheap

If you are coming thru Indy,,,I would go to Bloomington,Il,,then take 55 south... this is all interstate,,,  another way could be thru Champaign to Springfield .....hope this helps,,or e-mail me....

Wayne

Troy

Argh, I screwed up - I thought you were going to Springfield, MO. You still take the same route until you get to Indianapolis but you continue going west on I-74 instead of I-70. That's much closer than I thought. Send me a PM.

Troy

69charger2002

man if it is truly turn key, and you've had it planned for a while. you should have booked a flight in to there and then drove it home. you can fly one way MUCH cheaper than the gas in a truck to go one way, ESPECIALLY if you book a flight in advance. last month i booked a flight to west virginia for $98 WITH taxes and fees. i could have barely gotten out of state for $98 in gas. got there drove the car 1100 miles back and the head gasket blew. well i was only 3 hours from home, not a huge deal then. may be too late for you to do now but just some advice for next time. make SURE car is turn key(barring something unforeseen of course like a tranny blowing while driving etc). as long as it has good tires, brakes, and is roadworthy, fly in and drive it home. heck even the mileage with a 318 satellite would be better than your V6 chevy towing a 74 satellite, and you'd have much more fun
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Charger1973

Be careful man, the weather sucks... Not really ideal for travel. 

41husk

I am about an hour south of Chattam of I-55, If you are coming down and get tied up in weather or just don't want to make the trip all in one shot, I can put you up for the night even buy you a beer at the mopad.  Just let me know so I can tell the wife, she can freak out of I forgett to tell her that we will have company, or I bought another car.  You know things like that, that so often slip my mind  :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 01, 2007, 12:36:07 PM
man if it is truly turn key, and you've had it planned for a while. you should have booked a flight in to there and then drove it home. you can fly one way MUCH cheaper than the gas in a truck to go one way, ESPECIALLY if you book a flight in advance. last month i booked a flight to west virginia for $98 WITH taxes and fees. i could have barely gotten out of state for $98 in gas. got there drove the car 1100 miles back and the head gasket blew. well i was only 3 hours from home, not a huge deal then. may be too late for you to do now but just some advice for next time. make SURE car is turn key(barring something unforeseen of course like a tranny blowing while driving etc). as long as it has good tires, brakes, and is roadworthy, fly in and drive it home. heck even the mileage with a 318 satellite would be better than your V6 chevy towing a 74 satellite, and you'd have much more fun
trav
If it was not for the extra RR parts, like the extra RR hood I would for sure do that.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: 41husk on March 01, 2007, 12:53:25 PM
I am about an hour south of Chattam of I-55, If you are coming down and get tied up in weather or just don't want to make the trip all in one shot, I can put you up for the night even buy you a beer at the mopad.  Just let me know so I can tell the wife, she can freak out of I forgett to tell her that we will have company, or I bought another car.  You know things like that, that so often slip my mind  :icon_smile_big:
Wow man, That is awesome. Please PM me your phone #. Mopar people are good people. :yesnod:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 01, 2007, 12:39:30 PM
In Indiana, or IL or both? Thank you for the heads up.Snow or rain? It is cold and rainy here in Cleveland. :rotz:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Charger1973

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on March 01, 2007, 02:25:04 PM
Quote from: Charger1973 on March 01, 2007, 12:39:30 PM
In Indiana, or IL or both? Thank you for the heads up.Snow or rain? It is cold and rainy here in Cleveland. :rotz:

Im in Iowa, but its been snowing here all day. 

Charger1973

And now we are having whiteout conditions, they even closed all the highways.  Beleive it or not, I-80 is closed completely from Des Moines all the way to Nebraska... 

BMOTOXSTAR

Charger1973,
   Thank you for the weather update. Hope I am OK. I am going to Southern IL, and you are West of where I am heading. I will be leaving at Noon on Saturday.
I got lucky cause a buddy of mine is going to take the trip with me. I was worried that I would be going solo. So if the truck can't take the tow I can have my bud follow me.
    You guys are the best. I really thank you for all the help. I have never driven more than 2 hrs to buy a Mopar and this is going to be crazy. I will have to take pic's & post em' on Sunday,if we make it back. :haha:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Chargen69

Quote from: Troy on February 26, 2007, 12:02:02 PM
The car hauler I'm talking about is a trailer (dual axle, inertia brakes, ramps, tie-downs, etc.). Did they recommend a "tow dolly"? That's the only way I can see the car's bumpers dragging since a "car hauler" sits about 18" off the ground.

This is a U-Haul car hauler:

There is no engine in the car so I put it on there backwards. The wheels have to fit all the way up against the front so you have to play with it a bit to get the weight right. My trucks can handle a LOT of tongue weight but yours probably can't. U-Haul needs to cover their rear so they underrate the capacitites of all their equipment. (For instance, you can't tow anything with a Ford Explorer.) If you tell them it's a big, heavy car they'll always so no but if you tell them you're hauling an RX-7 they'll be ok with it. I would be more comfortable in your situation with a dolly.

Another FYI - if you take I-80/I-90 to Chicago you'll get charged per axle at the toll booths. I think it cost me around $40 to get through Chicago with the Barracuda on a trailer. The roads sucks and so does the traffic so if you can find a better way then take it.

Troy

I have used the same uhaul car carrier to move a bunch of cars.  It works really well behind something that can move it.  It really balances the weight of the car good, much better than the 18' trailer I own now.  There was a lot less tongue weight on those u-haul trailers than the one I own.

41husk

we hauled a 72 Road runner from Richmond VA.  To southern IL. it pulled great and the trip whent without incident.  Good luck with the trip and we all look foreward to some pics.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Silver68RT

I hauled my '68 Charger R/T back from Kentucky to Detroit around this time last year.  I think we hit every kind of precipitation possible along the way - rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain - real white knuckle stuff.  At one point I had about 1 second to whip the whole rig onto the shoulder at 70 mph to dodge a couch that was sitting in the middle of the Interstate.  That was with the Charger on the trailer.  My '02 F250 SuperDuty handled it no problem.  You never know what you're going to run into, so going with a marginal tow vehicle probably isn't a good idea.  I didn't get a pic of the couch.

Doug
Silver68RT

BMOTOXSTAR

It goes like this,
     Friday night, confirm that I am picking up the Satellite up Saturday morning in IL.
Found a Mopar Buddy that will go with me & my truck with a trailer to pick up the Satellite.  :boogie: :boogie:

I then have an idea.  :scratchchin:
I will call and rent a 06' Dodge Ram Pick Em' Up Truck, $35 (24 hrs + fuel), throw the RR hood that comes with the Satellite in the bed of the truck, have my buddy drive the truck back. I will drive the turn key Satellite home & Mopar Buddy will follow! Rental is confirmed and ready.I then cancel the U-Haul rental of the trailer.  Gather a floor jack, a spare Rally wheel with a good tire, extra battery from my 73' Charger, a ballast, some tools and even a bottle of anti-freeze, just in-case.
     Call Mopar Buddy to tell him the good news about driving a new Dodge Truck to IL to get the Satellite & not having to worry about my 91' Chevy V6 pick up making the 1,000 mile round trip with a trailer!  :METAL:
      Mopar Buddy then tells me that he lost his driver's license last week.  :mad: :iamwithstupid:
Said that he did not bother to tell me cause' we were going to trailer the Satellite back in my truck.He said he was gonna' help me just in-case something bad happened on the way in-case I needed someone to go and run for help.  :image_294343:
      I did not want to risk it. Called owner of Satellite, I have been confirming this date for over a month and the guy did not try to sell the Sateelite cause he had my word, one Mopar guy to another. I then Pay Pal him a nice deposit so that he will hold the car for 2-more weeks.
      Confirmend  my brother will drive me & a car trailer  in his full-size 02'  Dodge Ram 1500 V8/Magnum truck, on St.Patrick's Day to get the Satellite. :cheers:
  I feel safer this way and if I end up with this car it will be a miracle. Over all it looks like things happened for a reason and will turn out safer.
BMOTOXSTAR#079
P.S.
Sunday I ended up going to pick up my set of 72' Hideaways for my 73' Rally. The guy just happend to have a mint green dash pad for a Satellite! One of the few items that the Satellite I am buying on St.Patrick's Day needs to make it a nice granny cruiser. The Satellite is Triple Green ! 3 greens must mean this Satelllite is meant to be !  :yesnod:
I got the Hideaways and Green Dash Pad for $300. I think I did good?
:yesnod:
The white stuff in the pic's is snow, not white paint on the hideaways & dash.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT