News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting Jams in single stage ok?

Started by Heck2G14, March 01, 2007, 12:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heck2G14

Is it ok to jam ( Paint all the jams and engine and trunk compartments) with a single stage paint and then reassamble and spray a BC/CC on the rest of vehicle? 

Any problems with spraying single stage and then BC/CC over that? If its even possible?  Reason asking just wanting to make sure overspray areas of single stage (after smoothed out of course) can be sprayed over with the base coat.

any suggestion would be appreciated    Thanks in advance

OttawaCharger

That's a good question.  I'm going to be painting the underside of my car and I'd hate to have to do it 2 stage since no one will see it that well anyway.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

daytonalo

I would say under body OK , but to do underhood and jams single then the car in BC , if your OK with a hard tape line great , but any color will look different in single stage compared to the same color in BC . I ask , what is it your trying to accomplish ?

hemi-hampton

I do Black cars this way & you wont see a differance in color & I get no hard tape lines. Other colors may not match if 2 different types of paints. LEON.

Heck2G14

Day the reason im asking is, I've always sprayed single stage.  This will be the first BC/CC I've done.I want my charger to have a deep shine (Black), I was curious about if you approach the jams with BC/CC or just BC or just single stage. Just pickin ya brain old timer

71charger_fan

When I repainted my Shelby Charger I did the underhood with single stage. It was fine. What's the point in the hassle of clearing areas like that?

Drop Top

I know people that do it that way. It will work fine if you back tape the edges. But In my shop I use Base/Clear everywhere. The reasion being is. The B/C has a much better shine then the a single stage. Even in those areas that your talking about will look so much better with B/C. In my shop its all about details. Its not anymore expensive and the end results will be a deeper shine in the engine bay,trunk area and jams. It will have a much better WOW factor when your done with the car. Its little details like this that will set your car apart from the others. Once you do anything with a base/clear system you will never want anything else.

plum500

Drop Top, thanks for that -- I basically had the same question/plan for finishing mine off and I'm now sold on B/C. Besides any time I've seen shots of those areas done with clear -- especially the engine bay, it looks awesome.

bill440rt

You could probably get away with it if it's a solid color. For metallics, base/clear all the way. There's no depth to single stage metallics.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce