News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would you consider too many project cars?

Started by paironines, February 22, 2007, 01:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paironines

There's no "right" answer. Some people are happy with one. Others say you can never have enough. I think 2 is probably my max, because any more than that it's a space/time/enjoyment issue. What do you guys think?

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Doc74

Depends on your financial situation really. I'm happy with one but would be happier with two or three, then again if I was Jay Leno I'd have about 200  :icon_smile_big:

Charger-Bodie

that depends if you have to work on them yourself or not , with unlimited funds = unlimited projects otherwise 1 project is plenty
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

road/track

-1971 Charger SE U-code 4spd track pack, one of 29...
-1971 Charger R/T 440 6 pack auto
-1961 Chrysler 300G CV, one of 337
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

Ghoste

As soon as you get the one that you are never going to be able to finish for whatever reason, back off by one.

6pkrunner

Depends on what you are planning to do with the rest of your life. I see me working on these til the day I die. So I've got enough to last me until then - if I'm lucky.

The70RT

You have too many when all the funds are tied up in them and then you have to sell as many as it takes to buy everything to just get one done......worse yet you have to sell one that is done to get others done. :yesnod:......or worse senerio your cry baby neighbors turn you in for having them because they are dorks and are not in to the hobby. Solution - build another garage out back run all your gutter down spouts from both garages towords their yard and make plenty of noise working on the cars they cried about to start with. Yes the water thing does work :pity: Now they are trying to sell.........can't wait for the next ones :icon_smile_evil:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BlueSS454

I started off with my first car, 86 Cutlass.  I decided that I can't mess around with it the way I want to and still use it for a daily driver.  So I decided I needed another car that I can play with so I found my first and current 1970 Chevelle.  I tore it apart, then ended up buying another one that ran.  After I bought it, I saw the frame was cracked so I sold it.  I then bought another 70 Chevelle that I used mostly for parts, but still have the rest of it.  in the middle of restoring the first 70 Chevelle, I bought a 69 Chevelle that was wrecked in the front for $500.  It ran, just needed a front clip.  That car sat for a couple years until I finished the 70, then I tore that one apart and ended up doing another frame off.  A few short months after I tore the 69 Chevelle apart, I bought the 69 Charger.  That car sat while I restored the 69 Chevelle.  I skipped 2 years after the 69 Chevelle was done.  Then in 2005, I tore the Charger apart.  A month after I tore that car apart, I came upon a 70 Chevelle convertible for the right price so I bought that.  See a pattern going on here  :devil:  I am sure when I tear into the convertible, I'll find something else I want (the next car I would like to have is a 68 Cutlass) so I'll probably stumble on one for the right price and fell the need to acquire it.
Tom Rightler

The70RT

68 cutlass ......yeah I found a convertible 4 years ago for a grand. It was sitting in a garage since 1976. Still has that tag on it. It has a perfect top and interior. It does have some quarter rust. Thats my next project. :icon_smile_big:

red72chrgr

Nothing personal, just business

skip68

I say all you want as long as you can keep them covered and from turning into junk.  If you can't protect them then let them go,  :yesnod: TO MEEEE   :icon_smile_big:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Winga

Quote from: The70RT on February 24, 2007, 04:47:54 PM
You have too many when all the funds are tied up in them and then you have to sell as many as it takes to buy everything to just get one done......worse yet you have to sell one that is done to get others done. :yesnod:......or worse senerio your cry baby neighbors turn you in for having them because they are dorks and are not in to the hobby. Solution - build another garage out back run all your gutter down spouts from both garages towords their yard and make plenty of noise working on the cars they cried about to start with. Yes the water thing does work :pity: Now they are trying to sell.........can't wait for the next ones :icon_smile_evil:

What!..........no fake rubber rats lying around the yard!...................and Sunday mornings are good for clearing out the "carbon" with open headers! :devil:

The70RT

Quote from: Winga on February 24, 2007, 10:48:02 PM
Quote from: The70RT on February 24, 2007, 04:47:54 PM

What!..........no fake rubber rats lying around the yard!...................and Sunday mornings are good for clearing out the "carbon" with open headers! :devil:
:scratchchin: :drive:

Wheels of Terror

Quote from: 41husk on February 22, 2007, 02:31:07 PM
I think the next one is always my limit ;D
Oh my God!! You don't know how true that is!!!!!! My husband and I have 9 cars total. One garage. Finally, someone who understands me!!! ;D
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

Chad L. Magee

Not having enough land to store them on for starters.  If you go to a swap meet and realize that you basically need every part that is laying out in front of you, you have too many project cars.  If you go shopping for groceries, yet end up buying two project cars along the way, you have too many project cars.  This is almost a Jeff Foxworthy type question for me.  My upper limit is around a hundred car projects (based on future storage space and avaliable $).  Right now, I am sitting at 37 projects, which is four more than I am years old (so the age/car ratio does not work for me anymore).  I have become extremely picky lately (I am after oddball combos) and have begun to cut back at looking at projects until after my Ph.D. defense gets over later in the year....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

dpm68

To be honest, all of my three cars - running or not, are project cars...that is I always seem to be working on one or the other...not so much my old 4-runner. I sincerely think that they get jealous of each other when I fix one, so another breaks something so I have to spend quality time with it...sounds crazy, but it's true.

AKcharger

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: AKcharger on February 25, 2007, 04:12:08 PM
The correct answer is 3

Uh-Oh... :P   Well, at least I don't have as many as Chad!  :icon_smile_big:

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

1carcrazyguy

I don't think I will ever have "to many".  :lol:  I might have more than I can get done.  But I plan to die tryin!!!  :icon_smile_blackeye:

I gave thought to buying a done car last week.  However I decided that I would likely never be able to find a done car, done the way I wanted, at the price I wanted.  :shruggy:  So I plan to buy all the project cars that I like.  Then later decide how I want them done.  I think I have convinced myself to save up enough to buy a "real" car next time.  I have plenty of /6, 318 cars.   But I figure I have most of the bases covered now.
71 Dart is my "father son project"
70 Duster "pro-street project"
71 Satellite orange "back to 100% stock"
71 Satellite green to be built "as I would have ordered a car back then"
73 Cuda.......??????????
and still shopping for a "real muscle car" :drool5:  The hardest thing for me seems to be passing up on the "small ones" while I am searching for the "big one".   :brickwall:

BMOTOXSTAR

That is my problem as well. I have a 73' Rally Charger that is going to be painted in a few weeksand will be done by mid Summer. Next week  I am going to drive 1,000 miles to pick up a survivor 74' Satellite that is a granny bone stock clean car that I will turn into a RR clone, it even comes with a RR hood.
I think if you find a deal you had better grab it. Even if you have a project in the works. They do not make these Mopars anymore so you might as well stock up.
A rich man told me that the best 2 investments are land & muscle cars! Chew on that for a few minutes. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

mally69

already have a 69   with a mild 440    now it was just not enough  so now im on the run for a 68  and building a 512 stroker that maybe the last one not sure though :devil:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 25, 2007, 05:47:22 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on February 25, 2007, 04:12:08 PM
The correct answer is 3

Uh-Oh... :P   Well, at least I don't have as many as Chad!  :icon_smile_big:

XS

LOL.....  I have plans for some that may mean leaving some of them as they are for quite some time.  What I had thought (for a sick twist) to do for my future museum is to have a "barn fresh" example shown right next to a restored or orginal one.  I saw this concept once at an indoor car show in Grand Island, Neb. and it was definately different (I think it was two 1956 Pontiacs in baby blue, one mint and one a shot up field find).  I am not saying that I would leave half my cars as permanet projects, but just until their time was due at the restoration garage.  Think about it, how many places can you go to see the before and after cars except in photos?.  Another plan I may use is as an indoor drive inn complete with classic car movies showing while you walk through looking at the cars......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Bandit72

lol, well i have

2- 72 chargers
1- 62 Dodge D-100
1- 63 Dodge D-300
1- 63 Dodge D-100
1- 69 Dodge D-100
1- 71 Dodge D-200 crew cab short bed
3- parts trucks (65, 64, and 78)
1- 1940 Farmall M
misc. peices of antique farm equipment
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....