News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WHAT OIL ????

Started by MR.MIKE, February 25, 2007, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR.MIKE

HEY GUYS
JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WEIGHT OIL ARE YOU RUNNING IN YOUR 440's
ALSO WHAT DO YOU THINK OF ROYAL PURPLE BRAND
THANKS.....MIKE

mikepmcs

I'm going to switch to Amsoil this summer for my lubricants. I ran it in my race bike(formula usa/ccs) exclusively.

A good friend of mine who's a CDR in the Navy runs Sutton Specialty Synthetic Oil and Lubricants (douglas sutton) out of Vermont.  He has a couple race cars and is one smart man when it comes to motors as well as a lot of you guys here as well.  Anyways I'll be running the AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 racing oil in both my 69 charger and my 55 chevy. I'll be switching the other fluids as well to Amsoil when I change out the tranny and the rear chunk.

By the way, this CDR gives all of the money received from this business to charity.  He's one hell of a guy!

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

The70RT

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 25, 2007, 12:54:29 PM
I'm going to switch to Amsoil this summer for my lubricants. I ran it in my race bike(formula usa/ccs) exclusively.

A good friend of mine who's a CDR in the Navy runs Sutton Specialty Synthetic Oil and Lubricants (douglas sutton) out of Vermont.  He has a couple race cars and is one smart man when it comes to motors as well as a lot of you guys here as well.  Anyways I'll be running the AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 racing oil in both my 69 charger and my 55 chevy. I'll be switching the other fluids as well to Amsoil when I change out the tranny and the rear chunk.

By the way, this CDR gives all of the money received from this business to charity.  He's one hell of a guy!

v/r
Mike

Mike - Let me know how it does for you. I had a couple incidents with it and am not using it anymore.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikepmcs

Incidents?  Please elaborate and I will call Douglas and solicit his response.  All his vehicles/tractors/weed whackers/lawn mowers all have amsoil.

I'm actually thinking of becoming a distributor, so I can get it cheaper of course. :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

resq302

I am running the 20W-50 VR1 Race Oil that Valvoline puts out.  It has an added zinc content to it so it is less I have to worry about wearing components inside my motor.  I also add a can of GM's EOS to it at every oil change.  A little more zinc cant hurt.  The race oil and additive is probably an over kill and it  costs a little more than what regular oil does but a little pocket  change is nothing compared to a $6000 engine rebuild.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

The70RT

Quote from: mikepmcs on February 25, 2007, 01:04:36 PM
Incidents?  Please elaborate and I will call Douglas and solicit his response.  All his vehicles/tractors/weed whackers/lawn mowers all have amsoil.

I'm actually thinking of becoming a distributor, so I can get it cheaper of course. :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike

I work with an friend that was stated he was getting better gas milage in his van with amsoil so I thought what the heck since gas was over 3 bucks a gallon a while back. I put it in my dodge truck and my wifes buick. A certified mechanic said don't use that . It made my car leak oil after a while. He said that was years ago and maybe he will try it again since he was always tweeking his honda to see how much more mpg he could get against his other honda buddies. After about 3 oil changes of 5,000 ( oil got too dirty after that to suit me. I used 5w30 10,000 mile stuff i think) in the buick the intake manifold gasket started leaking oil. It only had like 45,000 on it and good thing i had the extended warranty. My dodge truck had only 35,000 on it and was using a quart at 3,000 miles (10-30). I went back to valvoline and doesn't use any.  The certified mechanic called me a while back and told me thanks now his tranny is leaking. Maybe if you use it from the begaining it would be better..........maybe not though since you have to break an new one in first before using it. Im sure people have had luck with or it wouldn't be around. That is my experience anyway. Always kinda wondered why they just do't have it on shelves everywhere  ??? Oh yeah - I never notice more mpg and I put it in my trucks trans and rear end too . I have the overhead console with mpg thingy. Also my air compressor in kinda noisy now since I put it in there too....maybe just being sceptic on that though?

mikepmcs

Hmm very interesting indeed.  I'll be sure to quiz Doug the next time I see him.
That is all he has used for years.  His vehicles have outrageous miles on them but like you said he used it since they were new.  Maybe something to think about.....
as my vehicles already have miles on them.  Thanks for the info.
v/r
Mike

Charger-Bodie

when i bought my hughes crate gine thats in the gold charger i used to own hughes tod me 10w 30 any brand as long as it is racing the racing oil like resq302 has things in it that modern oil does not .. i was also told that the reason is that the good stuff plugs cat converters and the govt requires the auto makers to warrentee the cats for 100,000 miles so out with the good oil stupid G [ BY THE WAY IM NOT A BIG FAN OF BEUOCRATIC BS}
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Just 6T9 CHGR

I am running 15W-40 Rotella T diesel oil for the added zinc to protect my cam/lifters.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris,

Be sure to check the ingredients as I have heard that Rotella T newer formulas do not contain zinc anymore due to emissions.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on February 25, 2007, 08:09:04 PM
Chris,

Be sure to check the ingredients as I have heard that Rotella T newer formulas do not contain zinc anymore due to emissions.

The newer stuff still does but in lesser quantities than the older stuff does....still more than the conventioal oils

I still have 2½ cases of the old stuff :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

All of the newer oils have less Zinc/Phosphorus....Rotella and VR1 included. Both are still excellent lubricants but adding a bottle of EOS should be considered mandatory for any flat tappet cam, inmo.  :Twocents:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

HITMAN 149

any input on mobil 1 synthetic?!?!? as i use it in my 1500 ram, and no problems?!?!? i've used it since i bought it w/ 30K and now have 80k!!
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

firefighter3931

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 02, 2007, 10:06:57 PM
any input on mobil 1 synthetic?!?!? as i use it in my 1500 ram, and no problems?!?!? i've used it since i bought it w/ 30K and now have 80k!!

No problem with the newer magnum engines and synthetic. Roller cams don't require the same extreme pressure additives that flat tappet cams do.  ;) The Mobil 1 15/50 used to have lots of Zinc but i haven't seen a recent virgin oil analysis to confirm that the EP values have remained constant.  :P

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bill440rt

I run straight Castrol GTX 10W/40 in my Chargers, all 440's.
What is this EOS additive you guys mention, & can I get it at my local auto parts store? Pep Boys, NAPA, etc?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HITMAN 149

hey fire dude.... LOL
i was refering to my 68 charger not a newer car, as far as teh mobil 1 was concerned.
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

firefighter3931

Quote from: bill440rt on March 02, 2007, 11:07:53 PM
I run straight Castrol GTX 10W/40 in my Chargers, all 440's.
What is this EOS additive you guys mention, & can I get it at my local auto parts store? Pep Boys, NAPA, etc?

Bill, EOS (engine oil supplement) is available at any "cough-cough" GM dealership. Run it in all your flat tappet engines.  ;)

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 02, 2007, 11:15:28 PM
hey fire dude.... LOL
i was refering to my 68 charger not a newer car, as far as teh mobil 1 was concerned.

No problemo Copper  :icon_smile_big:

see above post....run the EOS....cheap insurance !  ;)

Ron

is_it_EVER_done?

MR.MIKE: run any name brand 10-30 oil, but add a can of EOS (GM dealer), or a can of STP. Both of these still have the "anti-wear" compounds that help flat tappet cams live. Running a heavier oil offers no help as far as scuffing/galling, and is only necessary if you have excessive bearing clearances, otherwise it only robs power and increases stress on the oil pump drive and cam gear.

Some states have banned the sale of additives such as EOS, but as far as I know, STP is still available in all 50 states. How long this will still be true I can't guess, so buying a few cases of either would not be a bad idea.

The70RT

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on March 05, 2007, 04:46:12 PM
MR.MIKE: run any name brand 10-30 oil, but add a can of EOS (GM dealer), or a can of STP. Both of these still have the "anti-wear" compounds that help flat tappet cams live. Running a heavier oil offers no help as far as scuffing/galling, and is only necessary if you have excessive bearing clearances, otherwise it only robs power and increases stress on the oil pump drive and cam gear.

Some states have banned the sale of additives such as EOS, but as far as I know, STP is still available in all 50 states. How long this will still be true I can't guess, so buying a few cases of either would not be a bad idea.

:scratchchin: Might not be a bad idea.

HITMAN 149

just got back from the shop a bit ago... and asked my buddy about mobil 1 (synthetic oil)  in the 68.. and he said he would recomend it!?!?!?
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

firefighter3931

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on March 06, 2007, 01:35:27 PM
just got back from the shop a bit ago... and asked my buddy about mobil 1 (synthetic oil)  in the 68.. and he said he would recomend it!?!?!?

Which grade did he recommend ? There is a difference between the 10/30 and 15/50 lube in terms of EP additives.  :yesnod: Take a look at the two charts below and pay close attention to the Zinc and Phosphorus concentrations.  ;)

Regardless of what oil you choose...a bottle of EOS is still cheap insurance.  :icon_smile_cool

Ron

Mobil 1 10w30 :

firefighter3931

And Mobil 1 15w50 :

jackel440

I've been an amsoil dealer for about 10 years.I personally love it.cold weather starts and high heat endurance,espescially in my cummins with the turbo and high EGT's.MY wife noticed a seat of the pants performance change when we put it in her 98' ram 1500.I did notice some cars do seem to have a problem with "synthetics"when it comes to using and leaking oil.Most times I think in my opinion it is a tolerance issue,and seal compatability problem.I personally have not run into these problems.I say get a good quality oil ,check the service ratings on the label and change it regularly.Big issue is running a quality filter.I see lots of people buy good oil,"Mobil,Amsoil, etc"and then put a cheap quality filter on it.

firefighter3931

Amsoil is really good lube.  :yesnod: I do find it expensive compared to other brands though and availability is limited up here in the great white north.  :P

Ron