News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A question for the law enforcement members on the board......>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, September 05, 2005, 10:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

I agree with Wakko about the bribery.  You would have to be a complete moron to offer a bribe on a traffic stop.  Having said that I usually know before I ever approach the driver wether I'm going to issue a ticket or not.  I believe in being fair with everybody.  If I make my mind up before I ever meet the driver then the circumstances won't make a difference.  I will say that being a mouthy jerk doesn't help the siuation as a general rule.

bull

The polite thing didn't work for me the other night when I was doing 73 in a 50.  :-[ Now I need to know what to say to the judge to get it thrown out. Fat chance.

Chargerguy74

I know a guy who offered a cop a shot of moonshine as a bribe.....that didn't go over too well. I wish the pay was better for being a cop, man would that be fun.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Wakko

I'm one of the few cops that thinks that the pay here in South Florida is fine.  While I personally think that I'm worth more than 58k a year I'm also overqualified to be a cop.  Some of the guys just have high school diplomas and are as smart as a Luedke and 58k is OVER paid.  Guess it's all perspective.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

Charger Aficionado

Bribery works just fine in ol' Mexico...  (they EXPECT it there)!  heh...

Chargerguy74

I think I'd be over qualified to be a police officer too. I've had one teacher get right pissed when I told him I didn't want a University education anymore (nothing there that interested me)....he thought it would be a waste (of brain power I guess) to go to an "institute of technology" as it's called here. If I wasn't into Mopars, or the prices weren't insane, I'd get into law enforcment or full time military.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

Wakko

Actually, Jude's 100% right.  Years ago my father was a purchaser of scrap electronics and travelled to Mexico fairly regularly.  He always had big cases with trade show equipment in them and when he would go through customs always said "I have a signed order from the president of the US allowing transport of these items." and of course in the envelope would be a small stack of 20's.  He'd get to the tradeshow and be one of a scant few that would actually have their items with them.  He even wrote "BRIBE" on his expense report. :yesnod:
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

Dale The Bold

I got no problem with fining someone for being a jerk (in fact, it should be a separate crime so they can get a ticket for that).  And if someone threatens an officer, I find it quite entertaining to see him brought down and hauled away.  What I don't like is officers "looking out for each other."  Basically saying that if you have a badge, you can drive like a moron and not have a care in the world.  Safety first, that's why you're out there.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Lowprofile

Quote from: Wakko on September 06, 2005, 11:05:54 PM
Quote from: last426 on September 06, 2005, 01:04:58 PM
If the officer is alone often a hundred dollar bill slipped to him/her when showing your license works wonders.   If there are two cops, then be careful to slip it only to the guy writing the ticket -- usually the other one sits in the car, or wanders around.

Another way is to "be" part of some police force.   I am a member of the Citizen's Auxiliary Police and, as I used to tempt Gary Davis when he was around, would use those credentials as a salve between me and any other fellow Officer. Works wonders.

Yep, that works wonders for me.   I wonder how someone can be so stupid as to think that my CAREER is worth $100...and then I would take them to jail for it.   I've never had a bribe offered to me, but unless it's enough to make up for my loss of 1)job 2)retirement 3)self respect, it ain't gonna fly.

Yo Man, I gots what you NEED....Check it out!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Brock Samson

itsbacon

i'll boom folks for expired tags and no seatbelt. on other violations such as speeding, disregarding a stop sign or lights required, a persons additude makes my job easy. its easy to give a nice guy a warning and its easy to give a jerk a hard copy. traffic enforcement, for me, is down there with stepping on rusty nails and getting bitten by fire ants. i cut a dude a break today on violation of registration because he was straight up with me and  cool. do nice guys and gals earn tickets? sure.   just not like the ones that want to run that yap. they get hooked up with a mandatory court date and a note to the judge that indicates what an ass they were on scene so they can,   miss a days work,   pay the fine for the violation and pay the $200 court cost. scratchin' out a ticket aint the highlight of an officers shift and most dont just hand 'em out for no reason. as i have stated here before, most cops just want to earn an honest living. they are not on a mission to destroy driving records and they are not interested in a bribe. silly last 426.

bad1032

I give anywhere from 10 to 15 over  depending on the roadway, after that its pretty much you will be signing on the line.I always look for wrong tags and uninsured. Then its off to the cross bar hotel and some $$$$$ tickets and a tow bill.

MoparUSAF

Quote from: Dale The Bold on September 07, 2005, 12:10:28 PM
I got no problem with fining someone for being a jerk (in fact, it should be a separate crime so they can get a ticket for that).   And if someone threatens an officer, I find it quite entertaining to see him brought down and hauled away.   What I don't like is officers "looking out for each other."   Basically saying that if you have a badge, you can drive like a moron and not have a care in the world.   Safety first, that's why you're out there.

Dale,
I can understand where your coming from and I complety agree on the "moron part", but when it comes to "looking out for each other"  it's important to remember that professional courtesy exists in all professions throughout the world. Doctors do not charge each other for services rendered, while you or your insurance company must pay a substantal sum, employees of airlines fly for free, while you must pay hundreds for the same seat and service...etc...etc........When I was a rookie cop....it was explaned to me by a grizzled vet this way.......It's a privilage granted to you ..... to be used rarely if ever ..........and a privilage NEVER to be abused!

Wakko

:iagree:  I've been taken care of on traffic stops and have taken care of cops on traffic stops.  While there is professional courtesy, my integrity comes before my profession, and if that means taking a cop to jail, I'll do it.  There are plenty of douche bags wearing and abusing the badge.  Our department just arrested one of the deputies for lying on a police report and official misconduct.  Know what?  Sunnuvabitch deserved it.

Also look at the flip side.  Things that you can do on the street and get away with get us in trouble.  We use profanity to someone, we can get a complaint.  Tell someone they're a retard, we get a complaint.  Do something we feel is right that someone else feels is wrong, get fired or get arrested.  We might get away with some things, but other more serious subjects can get rammed up your tail. 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

SuBLimE 69

I'd really love to give you a (HONEST) reply to this but..........I'd get banned from this forum. 

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

last426

Quote from: Wakko on September 08, 2005, 04:45:16 PM
I've been taken care of on traffic stops and have taken care of cops on traffic stops.   While there is professional courtesy, my integrity comes before my profession, and if that means taking a cop to jail, I'll do it.   There are plenty of douche bags wearing and abusing the badge.   Our department just arrested one of the deputies for lying on a police report and official misconduct.   Know what?   Sunnuvabitch deserved it.

Also look at the flip side.   Things that you can do on the street and get away with get us in trouble.   We use profanity to someone, we can get a complaint.   Tell someone they're a retard, we get a complaint.   Do something we feel is right that someone else feels is wrong, get fired or get arrested.   We might get away with some things, but other more serious subjects can get rammed up your tail.  

All kidding aside, you stated exactly what is wrong with many policemen.  More than that, you admitted to what I am sure is a breach of your own department's policies.  Further, what you admit is tantamount to a crime. 

It is malfeasance, pure and simple, to "take care" of another because he is a cop.  It is malfeasance to be "taken care of" because you are a cop.  And what most perplexes people is that policemen, like you, treat this as though it is correct; no big deal, heck we all do it.  It is not right.  Look, I don't know you and you might be a great guy but you should be disciplined for two things, the admitted malfeasance and the bad taste in not even realizing it is wrong and admitting it in a public forum.

Quote from: another copit's important to remember that professional courtesy exists in all professions throughout the world. Doctors do not charge each other for services rendered, while you or your insurance company must pay a substantal sum, employees of airlines fly for free, while you must pay hundreds for the same seat and service...etc...etc........When I was a rookie cop....it was explaned to me by a grizzled vet this way.......It's a privilage granted to you ..... to be used rarely if ever ..........and a privilage NEVER to be abused!

First, assuming what you stated is true (it's not), a doctor performing services for another doctor or an airline allowing employees to fly free is not a crime or malfeasance.  You state that it is a "privilage [sic] granted to you."  I have to ask, granted by whom?  Here, what you are actually doing, is allowing a person to commit a crime and "taking care" of him (in other words, not doing your job by ticketing or arresting him) solely because he is in the same profession as you.  That, as I stated above, is at least malfeasance and a breach of your office policies and it may well be a crime.   

Lastly, I don't know what a common department's oath consists of but I would guess that you swore to equally enforce laws of the community and you both admit, in this forum, that you do not do so.  Shame on you.  Kim

DarkAngel0816

You know long time ago I was driving in Michigan and I was in the left lane trying to pass a semi on the highway...well I was in between two cars with the one behind me tailgating me from hell, when loo and behold a cop came around from the oppositie side of the highway...through the median...with his lights blaring.

He pulls me over for speeding.  Tells me straight forward that "I only pulled you over and not the others for you have an out of state plate."  I had to post bond on the side of the road (I was going like ten or less over) and was a total jerk to me even though I was being nice.  At the end he goes "So you like have any last words or anything to say for yourself?"

The answer was the only not nice thing I said to him...we will leave it at that.

I get to my destination before realizing he never gave me my registration back.  I call the post and they tell me it is expired hence why he kept it.  I thought that was funny for I had just received it in the mail a few days before so I made them look at it.  Nope not expired.  So I had to drive 45 minutes to get that back.  I was not a happy camper that day.

I try not to get pulled over...the last time I did was when I lived in Orlando and a motorcycle cop got me.  He let me off too.  I think he felt sorry for me for I could barely talk for I was having major issues with my wisdom teeth and was on my way to the dentist.  I could barely talk.
I love my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T Clone

bad1032

I have locked police up before, had a high speed chase with one idiot, so he couldn't understand why he got some hefty fines, another threw his girl friend off a cliff and beat the crap out of her ,so he went to the cross bar hotel for a few days.I have also been given a speedingticket, no biggie i was wrong went and did drive to survive, paid fine.

Brock Samson

Johnny SixPack

OK, let's keep it civil.

The thread has gone along fine so far, so let's stay that way.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Lowprofile

Quote from: last426 on September 08, 2005, 08:35:09 PM
I've been taken care of on traffic stops and have taken care of cops on traffic stops.  While there is professional courtesy, my integrity comes before my profession, and if that means taking a cop to jail, I'll do it.  There are plenty of douche bags wearing and abusing the badge.  Our department just arrested one of the deputies for lying on a police report and official misconduct.  Know what?  Sunnuvabitch deserved it.

Also look at the flip side.  Things that you can do on the street and get away with get us in trouble.  We use profanity to someone, we can get a complaint.  Tell someone they're a retard, we get a complaint.  Do something we feel is right that someone else feels is wrong, get fired or get arrested.  We might get away with some things, but other more serious subjects can get rammed up your tail. 

All kidding aside, you stated exactly what is wrong with many policemen. More than that, you admitted to what I am sure is a breach of your own department's policies. Further, what you admit is tantamount to a crime.

It is malfeasance, pure and simple, to "take care" of another because he is a cop. It is malfeasance to be "taken care of" because you are a cop. And what most perplexes people is that policemen, like you, treat this as though it is correct; no big deal, heck we all do it. It is not right. Look, I don't know you and you might be a great guy but you should be disciplined for two things, the admitted malfeasance and the bad taste in not even realizing it is wrong and admitting it in a public forum.

Quote from: another copit's important to remember that professional courtesy exists in all professions throughout the world. Doctors do not charge each other for services rendered, while you or your insurance company must pay a substantal sum, employees of airlines fly for free, while you must pay hundreds for the same seat and service...etc...etc........When I was a rookie cop....it was explaned to me by a grizzled vet this way.......It's a privilage granted to you ..... to be used rarely if ever ..........and a privilage NEVER to be abused!

First, assuming what you stated is true (it's not), a doctor performing services for another doctor or an airline allowing employees to fly free is not a crime or malfeasance. You state that it is a "privilage [sic] granted to you." I have to ask, granted by whom? Here, what you are actually doing, is allowing a person to commit a crime and "taking care" of him (in other words, not doing your job by ticketing or arresting him) solely because he is in the same profession as you. That, as I stated above, is at least malfeasance and a breach of your office policies and it may well be a crime.

Lastly, I don't know what a common department's oath consists of but I would guess that you swore to equally enforce laws of the community and you both admit, in this forum, that you do not do so. Shame on you. Kim

Please Tell us........Just what Planet do you live on? :bawling:  :stirthepot: :brickwall: :blahblah:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Chargerguy74

All these stories make me want to share my most recent run in with a police cruiser one night....but I better not, for my safety.

Anyway, can a guy make a citizen's arrest on a cop? That would be fun.

itsbacon

wow. lets talk about officers discretion. in non life threatening matters officers have no duty to act. if i were bound by law to respond to every infraction, however minor, i would never be available to respond to calls for service. ''disregard the armed robbery, i must stop this fellow with no rear view mirror.'' that just wouldnt work. i decide how i will respond to a givin situation. i have guidelines and i have leeway. i will not step outside the law. is it malfeasance if i decide to not issue a citation for whatever reason? nope. its my discretion. if i wreck a squad car, i get a ticket. if an off duty officer has a wreck and there is property damage they get a ticket. no discretion, thats the way it is. would i turn my head and allow a crooked cop to dishonor my uniform and my profession? no. i hate a dirty cop more than johny public ever will. dose not writing fellow officers speeding tiks make me a dirty cop? i dont think so, and its my discretion.

B5 Charger

I think most cops will tell you that they have given a lot more warnings than they have tickets.  That goes for the general motoring public not just other cops.  Is this miscoduct?  Should the Police ticket everyone they stop for every infraction they can find?  There is no department policy that I know of anywhere that states you must or musn't write a fellow officer a ticket for a traffic infraction.  The same is true for the motoring public.  Minor traffic infractions are a discretionary matter and are generally not governed by department policy.  Like itsbacon said anything more than a minor traffic infraction becomes an internal department investigation for an officer (accident, domestic violence, etc.).

Do I think every cop that gets pulled over deserves a warning?  No.  Do I think every cop that gets pulled over deserves a ticket?  No.  Are cops perfect?  No, just like the general public cops are human and they make mistakes.  However, because they wear a uniform and a badge they are expected to be perfect, to act perfect and to meet everyone's expectation of what a cop should or shouldn't be.  I knew at some point this post would turn into a police bash session with a self proclaimed legal expert leading the charge.

To get back on topic:  If I pull over a cop and he whips out his badge running his mouth and acting like a jackass he's getting a ticket.

MoparUSAF

Quote from: last426 on September 08, 2005, 08:35:09 PM
I've been taken care of on traffic stops and have taken care of cops on traffic stops.   While there is professional courtesy, my integrity comes before my profession, and if that means taking a cop to jail, I'll do it.   There are plenty of douche bags wearing and abusing the badge.   Our department just arrested one of the deputies for lying on a police report and official misconduct.   Know what?   Sunnuvabitch deserved it.

Also look at the flip side.   Things that you can do on the street and get away with get us in trouble.   We use profanity to someone, we can get a complaint.   Tell someone they're a retard, we get a complaint.   Do something we feel is right that someone else feels is wrong, get fired or get arrested.   We might get away with some things, but other more serious subjects can get rammed up your tail.  

All kidding aside, you stated exactly what is wrong with many policemen.   More than that, you admitted to what I am sure is a breach of your own department's policies.   Further, what you admit is tantamount to a crime.  

It is malfeasance, pure and simple, to "take care" of another because he is a cop.   It is malfeasance to be "taken care of" because you are a cop.   And what most perplexes people is that policemen, like you, treat this as though it is correct; no big deal, heck we all do it.   It is not right.   Look, I don't know you and you might be a great guy but you should be disciplined for two things, the admitted malfeasance and the bad taste in not even realizing it is wrong and admitting it in a public forum.

First, assuming what you stated is true (it's not), a doctor performing services for another doctor or an airline allowing employees to fly free is not a crime or malfeasance.   You state that it is a "privilage [sic] granted to you."   I have to ask, granted by whom?   Here, what you are actually doing, is allowing a person to commit a crime and "taking care" of him (in other words, not doing your job by ticketing or arresting him) solely because he is in the same profession as you.   That, as I stated above, is at least malfeasance and a breach of your office policies and it may well be a crime.     

Lastly, I don't know what a common department's oath consists of but I would guess that you swore to equally enforce laws of the community and you both admit, in this forum, that you do not do so.   Shame on you.   Kim

Kim,
Thanks alot.