News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

anyone else wonder where the future of the car hobby is going?

Started by The Mad Scientist, September 05, 2005, 10:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Scientist

With gas prices going through the roof.  Post war stuff, other classics, and muscle cars getting harder and harder to find.  And...   With cars getting more and more complex and made to fall apart.  Where is the hobby going? 

I see a current trend for late models being body kits and K&N kits, etc.  just add on stuff.  Not just the ricers either.  Most domestic trucks, mustang, gto, etc.  By building it yourself these days you can really screw something up in a glorious fassion.

The "cool factor" has been eliminated from DIY.  Scion appears to be doing well with their customize it from the factory sales pitch. 

I don't see swap meets in the future with some guy in search for a fuel injection harness for a 99 GTP.  Due to the need for a company to sell a new car every time a warranty expires.  Cars are designed to be throw away cars.  This does not look good for resto projects 30 years in the future. 

I see it getting harder and harder in the future to get parts and gas for older cars.  Unless you're Jay Leno of course. 

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

RD

i wonder about it sometimes.  for instance the hemicuda's of today were the duesenbergs of the 60's,70's, and 80's.  How much doe those duesenbergs go for now? nothing like they did.  It is totally a generational thing, but I do not see the high school kids of today ricin' up a honda S2000 for their midlife crisis project.  I understand that skyline's and maybe some other cars may be collectibles in the future, but I seriously doubt it. 

I think the times are changing like you stated.  The motif is the better and higher technology, not the older and classic.  With the new cars being throw away cars, I do not forsee there being a hobby in great numbers past our generation.  Seriously, the only 80's car that is truly desireable is the Buick GN, T-Type, and GNX.  Corvette owners will continue with their following as well mustang's, but what will mopar have?  There aren't that many vipers out there, and well the charger is a four door.  Maybe we can have Omni GLHS car clubs in 20 years? :D :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TheGhost

Mopar is supposed to have the Challenger for, what, 09?  Maybe that will help.  But, yea, I doubt the new Charger will be a commonly restored car in 30 years.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

69charger2002

i don't think the older mopar train will ever stop. it may slow a little as the 50-60 year old guys die off(we don't wish that on you older guys!!), but that is a ways off, the 60's-early 70's mopars are here to stay, and prices will not go down, unless gas gets to $10 a gallon, ok then there is a problem.. of course i'll still keep mine even then, they just won't be driven as much
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Silver R/T

totally agree, replacement cars every 10-whatever years as you can afford one.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

JimShine

I think Mopars will always have a following. They are mainly a leisure item now, so gas really isn't a huge issue. If gas goes really nuts, perhaps people will have more interest in MPG over speed.

Arthu®

Most of the cars of which the prices are rediculous now, don't have a problem with the gas prices. They don't drive them, they are just pretty to look at. So those prices will probably not come down for that reason.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

bull

"In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy...... "

What can any of us do to control the future? Maybe join a classic car lobby group or something to that effect. I'm sure there will always be gas available in one form or another for the forseeable future. Maybe not for everyday cars but I suspect the lobbyists will attempt to make concessions for classic cars so there will be an outlet of some sort. There are alternative fuels that internal combustion engines can run on too so I figure we'll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it.

41husk

It's simple supp;y and demand, as long as people want them and will pay high dollar the prices will remain elevated, Many people still act like a 318 or 6 cylinder car has a contagious disease.  Some of these cars are still priced reasonable.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Dale The Bold

Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 05, 2005, 11:33:32 PM
i don't think the older mopar train will ever stop. it may slow a little as the 50-60 year old guys die off(we don't wish that on you older guys!!), but that is a ways off...

The problem is that they all want to be buried in their mopars.  None will be left for the living.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Khyron

Quote from: Dale The Bold on September 06, 2005, 10:19:58 AM

The problem is that they all want to be buried in their mopars.   None will be left for the living.

I already bought the 4 plots ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69bananabeast

Quote from: Dale The Bold on September 06, 2005, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: 69charger2002 on September 05, 2005, 11:33:32 PM
i don't think the older mopar train will ever stop. it may slow a little as the 50-60 year old guys die off(we don't wish that on you older guys!!), but that is a ways off...

The problem is that they all want to be buried in their mopars.   None will be left for the living.

:haha: said the same thing the other day , I dont need a box when I got some perfectly good metal around me  :coolgleamA:
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

volk68

Don't let current fuel prices fool you...classic MOPARs are still very much in demand.  In fact, MOPARs are just starting their ascent to the top of the desired car list.  On top of this, I have seen a real interest in my Charger from kids as young as 10 all the way through college aged kids.  The main difference between now and then, I believe, will be the amount of newer technology mated to the older body styles.  Restification is becoming more and more acceptable as the younger classic owners get creative with their cars, and as the next crop of youth matures, expect that trend to increase.

As far as the cars of today becoming "classic", that is up for debate.  Back in the day, no one thought of their cars as becoming classics either.  The difference to me is that today's cars all must be body modified to be cool and are very disposable.  As rice dies out (which it seems to be doing), the Civics and stuff will lose their appeal when tacking wings and crap to them is no longer cool.

41husk

Quote from: volk68 on September 06, 2005, 12:48:21 PM
Don't let current fuel prices fool you...classic MOPARs are still very much in demand.   In fact, MOPARs are just starting their ascent to the top of the desired car list.   On top of this, I have seen a real interest in my Charger from kids as young as 10 all the way through college aged kids.   The main difference between now and then, I believe, will be the amount of newer technology mated to the older body styles.   Restification is becoming more and more acceptable as the younger classic owners get creative with their cars, and as the next crop of youth matures, expect that trend to increase.

As far as the cars of today becoming "classic", that is up for debate.   Back in the day, no one thought of their cars as becoming classics either.   The difference to me is that today's cars all must be body modified to be cool and are very disposable.   As rice dies out (which it seems to be doing), the Civics and stuff will lose their appeal when tacking wings and crap to them is no longer cool.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

My only worry about the hobby is being priced completely out of it. That's why I decided to get certain cars in project states since the prices have become stupid. Yes, I use the word stupid. It's not jealousy either, I respect the way some have earned & saved, I just can't comprehend the value some people set on cars. (I mean any cars including Ferraris, Lambos, etc.) For years & years, these Mopars stayed basically the same price. I figured I would eventually be able to buy a few finished cars that I've always wanted. I thought having 3 or 4 nice cars, maybe one a Hemi, or a Daytona, a nice Cuda & at least one ragtop was not out of reach. Not these days, & definitely not in the future if everyone spending like this keep it up.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Telvis

I think there will always be Mopar fans and a demand for the cars. I do think the rich guys who are creating the extremely high values will eventually move on to something else or die off. I think the values will eventually adjust downward but how low is anybodys guess. There have been "hot " cars in the past that have swung both directions in value. It's the nature of the beast.

greenpigs

Yep the baby boomer's are driving the prices up, with more retiring each day and enough with disposable income to buy "play" things ALL muscle cars will go up in price for some time. When they kick it prices should come down..who knows how much.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Plumcrazy

Maybe the cars to watch are the 55-57 Chevy's.
The people that grew up with those cars are now around 70 and their ranks will be thinning out in the next decade or so.

Personally I don't forsee any large drop in prices of those cars. That may be the forcast for what's to come with our cars.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

73rallye440magnum

well, i can tell you one thing, i love muscle cars, old cars in general (im 17) I have another friend that is a diehard like i am, and two other friends that are sort of into it. one is doing a frame off on a 66 chevelle two door post, one is dropping a 351 he built into his 6 banger 65 mustang, and my other buddy has a 70 firebird with a 455. At this point in time, you cant really "restore" a ricer, they are too new. so, kids my age or in their 20's add accesories to them to tune them. to be perfectly honest, i dont have a problem with it, i think its great. thats what the hobby is. Isnt that hot rodding? I think E bodies will die down eventually, its a big craze, and all the rich dudes want to fit in so they will pay whatever it takes. mopars no will never die off.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

mustanghater

to the tuners. thats all I see on the roads.I hate tuners so I'm going to stick with mopars.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

Brock Samson

one thing abowt the new cars is they are voided on the warrentea if you someuch as change the air filter, infact some hiend german cars you cant even take off the engine kover without setin off the computer alarm which will voyd the warrentea itz ok thou because the cars willall be moduar and kids dont go to skool anymore aneway